12 month old DD - how long should I let her cry?

(4 Posts)
SweetLikeChocolate Sun 09-Dec-12 22:20:45

DD is 12 months and we have never really sleep trained her. She goes to sleep well after her good night bottle (although she does sometimes need a final look to see that her big sister and brother are going to bed too!) and always is put in bed to settle herself. She has always done this with no tears. She always wakes in the night and we have always settled her down in our bed for the rest of the night. Mostly this is done quickly and without tears. However recently she is waking and not settling so easily and can often be restless for the rest of the night in our bed. I think she really needs to be sleeping through now and would actually benefit from being in her own bed. My question is how long do I leave her to cry before conceding and getting her. As we have never really let her cry, she gets upset quite quickly ( although is otherwise the most amenable little girl and although is vey stubborn and wants what she wants, she doesn't get moody). Is a 10 min cry ok or do I need to be on board for an hours screaming which will end with me sobbing and giving in? My eldest was in our bed til she was 7. My son has never slept a night in our bed and has never wanted to. I am really confused and really rather exhausted!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sun 09-Dec-12 22:40:00

I'd personally try other methods before just leaving her to cry. That's a huge shock and a change from the comfort of your bed. Have you read no cry sleep solution?

Have you tried various ways of resettling her in her bed? Stroking, rocking and then putting back etc?

sleepdodger Sun 09-Dec-12 22:49:30

Sleep board has loads of suggestions
I have honestly tried them all
Ds was awful sleeper and finally started sleeping at about 13.5 months- as he learned to walk
We're now at 20mo and back to regression hell, I've tried CIO but whereas he used to collapse in heap after a bit managed a whole hour tonight before I went in shock hmm cuddled him and he finally went to and stayed asleep until 2am when he'll wake again and we'll cosleep it's hard
Sympathy but it will get better
Until then wine and brew

SweetLikeChocolate Wed 12-Dec-12 18:50:47

Thanks so much guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now