DS2 6yo Mahoosive Inconsolable Tantrums, aghhhhhh!!

(9 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Mon 10-Dec-12 21:43:14

Thanks all for votes of confidence!

Will report back following next meltdown smile

childrenknowyourlimits Mon 10-Dec-12 20:43:31

Yes you can definitely do it but you do need to persevere even when you think you can't bear it any more. I agree it's much more difficult when you have company, particularly if they try to "help" you deal with it by trying to calm them down for you! Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

jelliebelly Mon 10-Dec-12 19:40:11

I think a lot of them go through this stage - my ds has just turned 7 7 and is getting better but we still have tantrum style anger/tears over saying no to random things when he is tired. I have been known to send him to his room to get over it - the 7 year old equivalent of the naughty step I guess.

addictedtolatte Mon 10-Dec-12 19:29:59

I second the completely ignore technique. Am going through the same with my 4 and half year old. He's just threw one in aldi tonight. It was hard ignoring with everyone staring giving there opinion but I managed it and it definitely had an effect. Good luck op and sympathies it is hard wok being a parent. You need nerves of steel lol

BaconAndAvocado Mon 10-Dec-12 19:24:35

children you are absolutely right, just reading your post makes so much sense.

The last massive tantrum was when we had company so it was very hard to ignore, and highly embarrassing too, but come the next one I will be ready with complete disinterest. Wish me luck!!

childrenknowyourlimits Mon 10-Dec-12 19:11:45

I truly sympathise with you - it's enough to drive you insane isn't it??? I have read loads of books (probably too many) but they all pretty much seem to say the same thing when it comes to tantrums which I am afraid is easier said than done! Basically, the little monkies tend to repeat something which they find works for them. We may not see what they could possibly be gaining from it, but usually there is something, even it is just the pleasure of seeing you wound up. The fact that he does not behave like this at school means he is capable of behaving better with you! Now comes the tricky part where you have to TOTALLY ignore it. Don't mention it or comment on it, just let him get on with it. Very difficult to do I know as it makes your blood boil! If it reached a point where I couldn't bear it any more, I would take myself into another room. Eventually he will get suitably bored! Might take some time however. Hang on in there. You are obviously doing a fab job with him as he behaves nicely at school. Mine were like that too and I always thought I would rather it that way round than have the tantrums at school! smile

BaconAndAvocado Mon 10-Dec-12 18:52:17

When it's a big one, he reacts like this to me and DH mainly, a petered down version towards grandparents and no tantrums whatsoever at school.

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Mon 10-Dec-12 18:23:58

Is it just with you or does he give the same response to "no" when with other adults?

BaconAndAvocado Sun 09-Dec-12 22:17:47

They happen when he doesn't get his own way and can go on for half an hour.

I can't seem to find a way to alter this behaviour apart from riding it out. Tried being angry/understanding/uninterested. I've put him in his room, taken privileges away.

Heeeeeelp! Strange thing is, he was an angelic toddler.........!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now