Toddler logic - don't you just love it?

(79 Posts)
PerchanceToDream Thu 06-Dec-12 21:54:19

Had such a stressful morning with 21mo DD today until she had me in stitches...

Usually when I give her a satsuma I hold each segment up to the light to check for pips and she takes them one by one. Today she started copying me, holding up her satsuma segments one by one over her head and laughing hysterically. She has absolutely no idea why you have to hold a satsuma segment above your head before you eat it but apparently it's very funny!

herbaceous Fri 07-Dec-12 14:46:54

DS said the other day:
'There are girls and there are boys, aren't there mummy.'
'Yes, that's right.'
'And I'm a girl.'
'Really? What makes you say that?'
'Well, George is a boy, but he's a baby. And Peppa's a girl, and isn't a baby. So I must be a girl.'

grin runawaysimba

colditz Fri 07-Dec-12 20:15:46

Ds2 was leafing through an alphabet book a few years ago, and I pointed out to him that Ball starts with 'b' sound. What sound does Apple start with?

He paused for thought.

"Crunch!" He replied, confidently.

PerchanceToDream Sat 08-Dec-12 22:58:21

On the bus the other day, DD started stroking my knees (!), deep in thought. "Christmas knees", she says.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 08-Dec-12 23:07:30

My DD blows on radiators grin

justalilmummy Sat 08-Dec-12 23:10:31

My ds on realising it had gone dark outside 'its dark outside isn't it mummy, did daddy turn the light off' and watching daddy swimming in the sea in the summer hes dad went under water 'daddy's looking for the plug'

My son says "no problem <name>" when you thank him.

He has the logic that if he sits in the cupboard with the glass doors and shuts his self in I can't see him.

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfJolly Sat 08-Dec-12 23:19:47

Ds saw a nativity book today with shepherds gathered round a fire watching the angel. He pointed at the fire and said "nee naw"

beanandspud Sat 08-Dec-12 23:49:09

These are lovely.

I remember when DS was about 2 we had to pick up a friend from a hotel. A random guy was sitting at a table in the reception area with a candle on it, reading the paper. DS took one look at the candle and announced (very loudly) "Look, 'tis man's birthday!".

mammyof5 Sun 09-Dec-12 00:09:42

one of the things my daughter said when she was little was bless you me whenever she sneezed.

i missed it so much when she dropped the me of the end it always brought a smile to my face even on the toughest days.

Pandemoniaa Sun 09-Dec-12 00:51:26

dgd is 23.5 months old and, like her father (ds2) when he was her age, she has a habit of coming out with surprisingly adult sentences. On the way home from a trip out last week she was entertaining us with her current favourite words and I said "You can say nearly every word now can't you?" to which she replied "More or less, Nanny, more or less".

Welovecouscous Sun 09-Dec-12 00:58:46

My son, 16 months says miaou miaou if you ask 'would you like a piece of carrot?'

he is slightly confused between carrot and cat grin

DPotter Sun 09-Dec-12 01:41:31

my dd was about 3.5 & we were walking thru our local cemetry; she asked why some of the headstone were smaller. I explained they for for people who had been cremated -'what's cremated mean ?' says dd. so I answered it's when someone's body is burnt when they die. pause from dd and then 'don't they go ouch?'. still makes me giggle

These are brilliant. My DH is from South London and as a result, even at 34, he still says "Bruv" a lot when talking to friends. A friend popped in yesterday while DD (very nearly two) was having her dinner and she looked at him, smiled and said "Alwite bwuv!"

AlreadyScone Sun 09-Dec-12 09:17:14

DS has just come through a nasty cough that had been keeping him (and me!) awake at night. First I would hear the coughing from his room, and then a cross, sleepy little voice complaining "Be quiet, cough, it's too noisy!"

Last year we were using the Christmas tree to learn new words, "bird, star, present, angel" etc. He really went for this and would reel off lists: "Star, heart, tree, DON'T TOUCH IT, present, angel, DON'T TOUCH IT, horse, bird, DON'T TOUCH IT..."

Eventually realised a DON'T TOUCH IT was a bauble grin

justalilmummy Sun 09-Dec-12 10:41:36

That's so funny alreadyscone when ds was learning to talk I somehow managed to teach him a light was called 'what's that'

OstrichSizedToLapland Sun 09-Dec-12 10:57:57

DD often tells DH he cannot go to work because it's dark outside. He's tempted to listen to her.

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Sun 09-Dec-12 11:03:10

grin AlreadyScone My eyes are watering

PerchanceToDream Sun 09-Dec-12 18:42:19

DD makes sure everything's "upside up".

jaggythistle Fri 14-Dec-12 15:59:52

DS1 (3.2) uses upside down and 'straight way up' for some reason. smile

beela Fri 14-Dec-12 19:28:31

Pandemoniaa my DS (26mo) said something similar - he used a word I didn't expect him to know and I said to him 'you know all the words now don't you DS?' and he replied with 'I hope so Mummy'!

He is currently getting a bit confused about the festive season, crisps are now called christmases, and we are waiting for 'Farmer Christmas' to come with all the presents.

grin at DON'T TOUCH IT, our tree is going up tomorrow and I can see that happening here!

beela Fri 14-Dec-12 19:31:10

Oh, and DS is another one who thinks we can't see him if he closes his eyes (actually our fault for going 'where's DS?' when he puts his hands over his face), so if we tell him off he just carries on doing whatever it was (e.g. banging spoon on table) but with his eyes shut!

supadupapupascupa Fri 14-Dec-12 19:39:51

we've got farmer pwistmas coming too smile. Also if DS (3) doesn't want to do something he says 'i wouldn't' instead of 'i won't' which makes me smile. Fizzy drinks always get referred to as bubbles too smile

supadupapupascupa Fri 14-Dec-12 19:41:14

one funny episode we had involved DS reeling off all the females he knew saying they were girls and they didn't have a willy. Then he said I will buy you and gran a willy. I asked where from and he said 'the doctors house' Dead serious! really funny.

cornflowers Fri 14-Dec-12 22:07:06

We were driving home this afternoon and passed a no left turn sign. Dd pointed and said, "Look mummy, it says no throwing boomerangs."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now