3.5 year old dry at night for months, now bed wetting every morning around 530

(7 Posts)
thaliablogs Wed 21-Nov-12 10:21:35

As the title says, our three year old has been dry at night since august, when we put him to bed one night without a nappy on and he stayed dry so we kept going. Apart from two minor accidents in the first 2 weeks, he has been dry ever since.

Unfortunately, about 3 weeks ago, my FIL put him to bed one night and shut his door so tight that the poor boy could not get out to go to the loo, and so he had to do a pee in his room. Did not seem to be too distressed and was dry again on the nights following.

Even more unfortunately, my mother put him to bed about 5 days after that incident, and again shut the door too tightly. That time DS had to do both a poo and a wee and it was all a bit unpleasant. I was also away at the time which didn't help.

Again following that incident, DS was dry for a few nights, but about a week later, when he was also really ill, he wet the bed. And had a day time accident. And then a few nights after that he wet the bed again, and in the last five days he has wet the bed every night.

We've spoken to him and he says "I just forgot" to go to the bathroom. We've offered him a reward, we've put his favourite toy to keep the door open and guide his way to the bathroom, but this morning when he wet the bed again he said "Lion told me to!"

NO idea what to do other than keep going but it is a bit wearing. I am thinking that one thing to make him do is that if he does have an accident he can just change his pyjama bottoms and go and sleep in the spare room rather than waking everyone up - as perhaps it's the night time attention he likes.

Would love some advice!

Tiggles Wed 21-Nov-12 15:45:21

How warm is your house at 5:30 in the morning? If it is chilly, maybe he doesn't want to get up and cold, especially if there was no fuss made when he wet the bed as he couldn't get out his room (so doesn't therefore see wetting the bed as an issue).

thaliablogs Wed 21-Nov-12 19:58:24

not particularly chilly, don't think that can be the reason.

TOnight he wet the bed while he was still awake just after bedtime. Something's going on.

thaliablogs Thu 22-Nov-12 17:30:14

Three accidents last night - Help!

hillyhilly Thu 22-Nov-12 17:31:34

I suspect he's liking the attention maybe even subliminally, keep calm and say as little as possible.

Iggly Thu 22-Nov-12 23:07:14

What happened after your ILs shut him in his room and he wet himself?

Do not react. Just change him and put back to bed.

Also try lifting him when you go to bed - this helps my ds go through the night.

thaliablogs Fri 23-Nov-12 21:42:04

doing our best - calm and change him. Every night for a week now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now