Nativity Play

(10 Posts)
MummyPig24 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:45:43

Ds is in reception and this will be his first Christmas play. He is happily singing the songs but is refusing to actually take part. The whole class are to be angels and ds is seriously unhappy about that. He "hates angels" and is adamant he will not wear tights or leggings. How can I persuade him to take part? He's not convinced by me telling him the angel Gabriel was a man. What if he really does refuse to go on stage?

amazingmumof6 Tue 20-Nov-12 21:08:50

so what? he is 4 - 5 years old! he is by no means obliged, it's for fun, he can miss it if he wants!

don't force him, it's just a play, not important at all! if he doesn't want to he doesn't have to!

talk to the teacher, go to dress rehearsal, maybe he can sit with you all dressed up, watching the others - might make him feel he wants to take part.
might not.
worth asking if he could wear another costume.
whatever happens he should not be forced or humiliated and please do not show that you are disappointed or cross - or I'll guarantee he will never join!

my 8 year old hates these school performances and he prefers to not take part. he is not shy otherwise, bit if a class clown actually, just hates strangers staring at him!

MummyPig24 Wed 21-Nov-12 11:08:01

I said to the teacher today that I had asked ds about it and he doesn't want to wear tights lol. And I asked if it matters if he doesn't want to go and nd she said no but would be surprised if he didn't as he loves performing! So we will see but I suspect he will take part as long as he doesn't have to wear tights!

amazingmumof6 Wed 21-Nov-12 11:10:24

excellent, glad you sorted it! bless him...

Hulababy Wed 21-Nov-12 11:12:04

Can he not wear something slightly different?
Would he wear just the tunic thing?
IF NOT, HOW ABOUT A BAGGY PAIR OF WHITE TROUSERS AND WHITE TOP?

Hulababy Wed 21-Nov-12 11:12:15

Ooops - sorry for caps

DeWe Wed 21-Nov-12 11:31:25

Dh's last appearance on stage was at the age of 7 wearing tights as a King in a nativity.
He refused to go on stage again after that, but enjoys backstage work.

However last year my ds refused to wear his costume (shepherd) until when he saw his friends changing, and then he put it on without a fuss for both performances. So you might like to give him a costume in case he suddenly wants to be the same as the others.

Differentangle Wed 21-Nov-12 22:00:53

My DS is a "mum" in nativity - anyone any ideas what to dress him in? Don't really want to overtly cross dress :-)

MummyPig24 Fri 23-Nov-12 06:46:02

Lol at all the nativity relates dilemmas. We have had the letter home about costume. White top/tunic, white trousers/tights/leggings. Now on a mission to find white trousers! They make their own halo at school and no wings allowed!

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 23-Nov-12 06:56:11

It's the teacher's problem. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now