Two year old dd repeating me when telling her off

(9 Posts)

My 4yo is going through a repeating stage and it's driving me up the bloody wall. There's nothing you can do with it. The more annoyed I get the funnier she thinks it is.

LDNmummy Tue 20-Nov-12 03:37:11

My one year old recently started wagging her finger at me and saying "da da da da da da..."

I didn't realise I gestured like that when telling her not to do things. I don't raise my voice but I lower it so I seem serious and she does that too to mimic me.

I try very hard not to smile or laugh but it really is so cute when she starts telling me off for telling her not to do things like play with the plug sockets.

eragon Mon 19-Nov-12 23:01:18

echolalia. common to 2yr olds, esp those with good speech development!

irritating but will pass. however by then she will be talking the hind leg of a donkey!

good luck.

ChristineDaae Sun 18-Nov-12 22:25:35

Mines at the stage where if I tell her off she says 'no shouting mummy' or runs away and tell her dad 'mummy shouted at me' it's hard not to crack a smile.
I get really enthusiastic encouragement whenever I go to the bathroom too... ( she's potty training!)

brettgirl2 Sun 18-Nov-12 14:01:11

I'm sure it was about this age where if I told dd she couldnt do something she would cry. Then look at me accusingly and say 'you've made me upset!' Sigh..... She is much easier to reason with now (3.5).

BabydollsMum Sun 18-Nov-12 12:46:12

My DD's like this too but on the flip side I'm getting quite a few "good girl, Mummy!"s. She totally knows how to play me and DP - once in the middle of him telling her off she moved in and puckered up for a kiss! hmm

Littleraysofsunshine Sun 18-Nov-12 10:03:48

I don't show her, I just think inside.. I am always authoritive but at the moment it doesn't seem to work

MolotovBomb Sun 18-Nov-12 09:06:19

At 2yo, your DD doesn't yet have the cognitive ability to understand complex information, despite the fluency of her speech. Simple, calmly but authoritatively given instructions, for example "No: do not touch that" whilst distracting her, are key at this developmental stage.

Dont give her "it's cute" as an excuse. You'll confuse her if your face cracks a smile even if a little bit.

Yes, it's repetitive, but she'll soon be able to act upon more complex instructions. I guess at about 30mo.

HTH

Littleraysofsunshine Sun 18-Nov-12 07:00:41

How is this not frustrating??

First off its cute as she is very fluent with her speech, but trying to teach her right from from when she's repeating everything. She Even mimicks how I say it.

Lately I have felt quite stressed (lack of sleep with dd2) so my body language she is picking up on sad (if I tell er off in a shouty way)

I just find myself shouting a lot lately. I usually have all the patience but seem to have so little lately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now