My baby has stopped walking!

(33 Posts)
JacqueslePeacock Sun 18-Nov-12 00:08:14

My DS is 14 months. He has been standing well on his own for 5 or 6 weeks. 3 weeks ago today he very proudly took his first steps across the room, grinning beatifically, to much applause from me and DH. He did it several times.

But since then, he won't walk, he won't stand unsupported, nothing! If I try to stand him up on the floor, he makes himself go all floppy and won't straighten his legs. He is still cruising the furniture happily so I don't feel he can be injured/in pain. He just won't stand or walk. If we hadn't videoed the first walk i'd think I imagined it. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

JacqueslePeacock Tue 27-Nov-12 19:25:49

Well still no walking here! In fact he still won't even stand without support anymore, which is very frustrating given that he had been standing confidently for ages. I do think it must have been a fall which has put him off. Glad to hear we're not the only ones though.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Tue 27-Nov-12 20:38:15

Apparently some babies learn a new skill and then sort of forget it for a while, has your lo learned another new skill in this time that he's Ben practicing perhaps?

thegreylady Wed 28-Nov-12 19:02:32

I was at a chrstening las Sunday.There was a little girl of 19 months who took some steps on her own at 13months [for one day].Now she will only walk holding on to an adults finger-one finger of one hand.She will dance,run,walk but wont let go.I the adult lets go the child drops to hands and kness and crawls.

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:01:16

So my 16 month dd is starting to practice walking but has slowed down the practice today. Why? So frustrating!! How is ur child doing with the walking op?

JacqueslePeacock Thu 29-Nov-12 20:38:05

Oh, thegreylady, that's exactly like my DS. As soon as we let go he drops down to sit or crawl. If he weren't happily cruising round the furniture I would be worried he'd injured a leg or something.

Iggly Thu 29-Nov-12 21:09:59

I would speak to the GP actually. Cruising will give him something to hold on to.
It could be some sort of ear thing or it could be nothing? Best to rule it out.

JacqueslePeacock Tue 04-Dec-12 22:37:51

He's walking!! Just today he has started again and is toddling about - a bit wobbly but with a manic cackle. Hurrah!

And his nursery has confessed that a few weeks ago he had a nasty tumble head first into a big bowl of "gloop" (flour and water paste with food colouring) so I suspect that may have been what put him off. They did mention it at the time but downplayed it somewhat so I didn't quite grasp how scary it must have been for him.

Cupcakemummy, any progress for your little one?

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 05-Dec-12 17:52:24

That's great news ur little one is walking! I'm so happy to hear that. My dd has started walking for longer periods but doesn't want to walk full time. I'm wondering how much longer it will be when she decides walking is a better method of transport smile I'm really hoping it will christmas time she will be walking full time. I'm getting bigger and she is getting heavier lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now