My toddler is driving me nuts!

(3 Posts)
OhEmGee25 Sat 17-Nov-12 20:16:27

I'm sure that makes me sound like a crap mum but she is REALLY testing me at the moment. She's 2.6. Half the time she's the most loving, cutest little girl on the world but then she can be the most defiant little screamer. The latter is becoming far too frequent. She's driving me insane! Shes screaming "nooo" to everything followed by a raspberry. Please say she's not the only one. Nursery say "she's an angel" hmm.

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 20:33:19

she is the only one, sorry

all my children are perfect and do as they told

we have a tidy house and they bring us breakfast in bed

housework is done, no fighting ever.....

.................if only!!!!!!!!grin

typical 2.6 year old, just be firm and tell her no screaming.
my DS5 is same age, I actually say I don't understand what he says if he's crying and I' want to help, but he's got to talk in a normal voice

give her choices in little things - like which top she wants or which puzzle to play with - but only ever 2 choices at this age - this or that.

she's testing you, so decide what it is that you are happy to allow her to now she's older and clearly wants a bit more control - and whats not going to change no matter he's crying you a river

she will toe the line to see what she will get away with - get used to this behaviour and learn to handle it.
do not be afraid of confrontation, even if it scares you a bit, you are the parent so be in control.
she needs you to be in charge and teach her what the boundaries are, considering her changing needs of course

(if she screams a lot buy some earplugs to blunt the noise of the worst bouts...)

lorisparkle Sat 17-Nov-12 20:36:27

Sounds very normal to me and just like my two and a bit year old (and DS1 and DS2 when they were that age!)

Toddlers role in life is to challenge their parents. You just have to stay patient and say to yourself 'shes only two'! Try and give her some degree of control but avoid running your life around her. Distraction often works a treat and changing the conversation. You often can't win a battle with a two year old because they are not logical so don't try. If it is really important just carry on anyway and ignore the screams, or try again later, or come at it at a different angle. Lots of praise is great too - praise the good and ignore the bad!

It won't last forever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now