Repetetive humming

(16 Posts)
LaTrucha Mon 19-Nov-12 16:57:24

The other problem with it is that it really winds up two-year old DS!

Nice to know she's not the only one. Thanks.

Meeknmild Mon 19-Nov-12 09:40:37

My dd4 has one this since she was 2. When I have asked her why she does it, she told me that it was because she was happy! She is doing it less frequently now, so maybe she will grow out of it eventually!

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 18-Nov-12 22:38:23

I see it rather like a vocal habit similar to biting nails. If you hassle them too much they'll get anxious but a little reminder when they do do it, is a good thing. It has to stop at some point it's just her learning the self control. Martial arts could help her as it is very disciplined and children learn to control their bodies very well.

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 18-Nov-12 22:36:47

My family looked upon it as a cute weirdness about me...they'd laugh about it but in a kind way. They did ask me to stop but in a "Oh come on Mrs! Leave it out! grin kind of way.

mewkins Sun 18-Nov-12 22:07:13

Yes it doesn't bother me at home but when we are out she does get some strange looks!
Oh yes, we had singing Ballamory over and over at the top of her voice but she's now moved onto 'tip me up and pour me out' on repeat.. or reciting bits of stories in funny voices.

LaTrucha Sun 18-Nov-12 20:59:53

It must be something like that.

I did ask her when she was smaller why she did it. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was along the lines that it was part of being her. I feel bad if I ask her to stop. It's her house, right? It is just so loud at times. At least she can stop it at achool.

One day I'll realise she doesn't do it anymore and I'll miss it. It used to be the 'BA-LA-MOR-EEE' bit of the Balamory theme tune. For about a year. I don't miss that!

mewkins Sun 18-Nov-12 20:24:04

Oh my goodness, your daughter's 'noise' sounds identical to my dd's! so much so that I had to check I hadn't written your post!!! dd is 2.5 and has been doing this errrrrrrrrrrrr pretty much since she started making noises! yes, it's always and only when concentrating (drawing, doing a button up, gluing things, sand play etc). I was hoping she may outgrow it by school age! She is a good speaker now and we encourage her to talk to us/ explain what she's doing in place of the noise but she invariably reverts back to it. I have noticed it gets louder if there's lots of background noise so assume she is using it to focus and block out the rest. I put it down to dd being pretty spirited and energetic so I think it's a real effort for her to focus. Amusingly other children pkaying nearby notice it and join in, often in harmony. I am so pleased to have found someone else who lives with The Noise!

LaTrucha Sun 18-Nov-12 07:12:21

Ahh. That's nie. I try to let her do it at ome because I know sh'es not allowed to at school and she's good about it. It's just so loud sometimes that I have to ask her to stop. So, if she's colouring at the kitchen table while I cook and listen to the radio, she will drown out the radio!

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 17-Nov-12 22:20:14

We still remember my tic fondly. grin Funny thing is, when I start thinking about it..even now I get the urge to do it! Sometimes I indulge myself in a little "Zzz" and hope nobody hears!

VolumeOfACone Sat 17-Nov-12 19:46:23

DD does exactly the same, but also if she is a bit stressed or overwhelmed. I don't know if she does it at school, I have never thought to ask!

LaTrucha Sat 17-Nov-12 19:43:22

At least that's something. DD tends to pick one phrase from a song, say 'London Bridge is Falling down' and do that over and over, with or without words, really slowly and really loudly.

pimmsgalore Sat 17-Nov-12 18:48:36

My DS is 10 on Monday and he sings all the time to himself, his teacher commented on it at parents evening. He said he will stop when asked but if he concentrates he starts again, he has given him a target of stopping by Christmas. Teacher did then comment that he has an unbelievably eclectic repertoire goes from 60's all the way to present daygrin

LaTrucha Sat 17-Nov-12 17:20:33

Yes, she's fine. We just had parent's evening and the teacher has no concerns. DD stopped doing the noise when it was made clear she couldn't do it at school.

I never imagined it would last as long as it has. One day maybe I'll miss it!

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 17-Nov-12 16:03:18

I meant to say...I had a verbal tick when I was about 6 or 7....I used to say "Zzz" a bit like a bee! It went eventually!

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 17-Nov-12 16:02:33

Is she ok in other aspects of her development? It sounds like a sort of verbal tic.

LaTrucha Sat 17-Nov-12 12:59:23

DD has a habit or repetitively humming, or mmore like droning, when she is concentrating on something like drawing, or doing something humdrum like the walk back from school, or when she is tired. She has done this since she was very tiny and she is now nearly 5. It is often very loud. It's clearly some kind of zoning out technique.

I'm not worried about it as I know she can stop it when she is at school (the teacher has asked). I am more interested to know why she does it, and if anyone else's DC does it and will it ever stop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now