Do you have a baby aged 14-18 months? Please help me work this out!

(43 Posts)

DH and I are trying to work out what is going wrong (or right?) with 15mo DS's eating/sleeping. We have somewhat differing views about what is 'normal' or okay in terms of sleeping, eating, etc.

Would you mind sharing your toddler's routine (awake time, nursing, meals, naps, bed time etc)? I think it will really help us to get an idea of what other babies are doing in order to have an informed conversation.

Thank you!

Submitted too soon.

Milk at 7 typically, breakfast after school run, so say 9.30. Not hungry enough before that because of milk.

He typically has milk on waking, unless he has had a late feed overnight - say 5am. 3am would need another.

cloudhands Mon 19-Nov-12 13:31:57

this is really interesting reading, are your babies desperately hungry on waking? I always give milk first thing before breakfast.

Emsmaman Mon 19-Nov-12 10:56:40

Sorry should have said, BF'd until 13 mo then switched to bottles of cows milk during the night, then one day she just decided she didn't want it anymore so that was the end of nighttime (and daytime) bottles. She still wakes but it's not for hunger anymore!

Emsmaman Mon 19-Nov-12 10:53:50

DD (just 19mo) dropped milk drinks around 16 months. Her day has been pretty similar since then:
Between 6-7am wake up
Breakfast almost immediately, or on nursery days a banana then breakfast at 7:30 at nursery
9:30/10am snack
11:30 lunch
12/12:30-2 nap
3pm snack
4:30/5pm dinner
6:30 snack
7:00 bath
8:00 bed

She doesn't sleep through the night though! On a good night, first waking 3am, on a bad night 10pm!

thegreylady Sun 18-Nov-12 22:26:44

At that age dgs was waking at 5.30!! Breakfast at 6-porridge,fruit and milk.
nap from 9-10.30/11 then snack-usually oatcake with cream cheese and apple juice. 12.30 lunch-little bowl of cucmber and tomato [most days] with cubes of chees or pieces of ham and bread and butter. Nap 2-3.30 then meal at 5 ish and bath/milk/story/bed between 6 and 6.30.
In between very very active-walked and talked early.

Have read more of thread. Suspect he needs tea earlier and bed earlier. Sounds hungry (hence wanting bf at 5pm) and overtired (hence evening performance!).

I find that my toddler goes to bed more quickly the sooner we start - start at 7, asleep by 7.15; start at 7.30, still whingeing at 8 and beyond.

Wakes around 7-8 (woken by older sibling).

Often has milk (bf).

Breakfast around 9-10am - fruit salad current favourite, or dry cereal.

Snack, maybe a biscuit or two and some more fruit.

Some time between 11.30 and 12.30, goes for nap for 45-90 mins.

Lunchtime, some cheese or chicken, crackers or noodles or pasta, cherry tomatoes. Fussy git when DC1 is absent! Lunch is before or after nap depending on timing.

3.30-4 ish, another snack. Fruit.

5.30 - tea. Eats real food, sometimes two bites, sometimes nearly as much as me.

6.30 - bath, story, milk, bed.

No comment about overnight. angry

BlablaSos Sun 18-Nov-12 21:13:56

We sometimes have the same problem of early wakings and shortening naps seems to be helping. Also giving dinner at 5ish and then allowing her to snack throughout the evening so she goes to bed on a full tummy. We don't really follow a routine as such but below is a rough guide (DD has just turned 14 months).

Wake - 6.30 - 5oz milk + breakfast
9.30 - 10.30 - nap
10.30 - snack
12.00 - lunch
2.00 - 4oz milk & snack
3.30 - 4.30 nap
5.00 - dinner
5.30 - bath
6.00 7oz milk & snacks
7.00 - bed

Thank you all thanks

I also love hearing about other people's routines as it helps me understand just how different 'normal' is! DH and I have worked out a 'plan' so fingers crossed it works grin

RandallPinkFloyd Sun 18-Nov-12 15:21:24

I love these threads! I haven't got a clue what I doing so it's really interesting to read what is the norm.

I'm basically winging it, we do have a sort of routine but it's totally been set by ds, I've had very little to do with it. The only thing I did was start a bedtime routine.

Until he was 6 months he used to go to sleep at about 7 ish but wake for a feed at about 10 o'clock ish and would have a wide-awake play time for an hour or so afterwards so there didn't seem much point in putting him to be before then.

Once he dropped that feed I started doing bath-story-bed. He took to it really quickly. He has had the odd off-night but as hubba said there's a world of difference between upset crying and just sleepy grumbling. If ever he has a winge I just leave it a minute or so then go in, lie him down, say sleep time, and leave.

The main thing for me is to get out of the room as fast as possible. If I hang around for even a second he's up and yelling. It's literally light off - story -song - put down - leg it! He then settles himself quite happily.

hubbahubster Sun 18-Nov-12 14:54:20

DS is 15 months.

6.30/7 wake
Dress, get breakfast (Oatibix, fruit, porridge, banana pancakes, crumpet, yogurt - any of those)
10ish snack of fruit or similar
Mammoth nap of 2hrs at about 11.30, so lunch about 1.30 when he wakes. Usually sarnies/pasta and salad, yogurt covered raisins or fruit for pud.
3ish snack of crackers and cheese or similar
6ish tea - soup, pasta, something hot plus a biccie

He's a brilliant sleeper - we have a good routine of milk, bath, teeth, story and songs on the rocking chair in his room (once he's in his PJs the lights go off so story and songs are just by the nightlight), then cuddle and into his sleeping bag, nightlight off (we leave the light on the monitor on though, the big nightlight is actually pretty bright!). And out we go. I find not dashing into his room at the slightest sound helps - he tends to shout or cough in his sleep, so if I give him five mins he'll be quiet again usually.

Twattergy Sun 18-Nov-12 14:20:58

You could just wait and he will eventually drop those feeds, but if you want to test cutting out another feed you could try the 11pm one.I know that feels scary because you might think that's the one that keeps him going through the night but apparently they are in deepest sleep for first half if the night, so if you try and resettle him without a feed at 11pm that could help him speed up dropping night feeds. I am totally pro bf ing but at the same time DS stopped his night bfs at 5.5 months before he even started solids, so I do believe most babies agree fine withoutit from much earlier than we think.

MumToAManiac Sat 17-Nov-12 23:01:28

My DS is 18months old, his routine:

7.30/8am: wake, cup of milk and bowl of either weetabix/readybrek
11am: nap (anything from 1-2hrs)
12.30pm: lunch (varies from day to day)
2.30pm: snack (yoghurt etc)
4.30/5pm: dinner
6.30pm: bath
7pm: a rusk mixed with some milk and a cup of milk
7.15/7.30pm: bedtime

My DS is a great sleeper, but we can't let him have a nap after 2pm, if we do he won't got to bed til about 9.30/10pm that night.

In between those times he's running about mad, wrecking my house! lol

monkeysonmyback Sat 17-Nov-12 18:24:04

7.30 - wake and breakfast
10.00 -snack
12.00 - lunch
12.30 - nap for about an hour to hour and a half
3.00 - snack
5.30 dinner
7.00 bedtime bottle, brush teeth and PJ's
7.30 bed

sleeps through 12 hrs

trudat Sat 17-Nov-12 14:29:58

She sleeps through except when teething or ill which usually requires dh or me co sleeping with her so at least we can rest, if not sleep.

trudat Sat 17-Nov-12 14:24:43

Dd is 17 months and an average day is:
6.30am awake
7am cereal/porridge with milk. Water to drink.
8.30/9am half slice of toast with jam or honey.
11.30-12pm lunch. Scrambled eggs, beans. Fruit for pudding. Water.
12.30/1pm - 2.30/3pm nap
3pm snack. Raisins or a small milk biscuit. Water.
5pm tea. Mince and tatties with peas. Yoghurt. Water.
6pm bath
6.45 8/9oz milk.
7pm bed. In process of trying to wean her off feeding/being held to go to sleep. Most nights will settle after a few minutes. Others dh goes in and sits with her (doesn't lift her anymore).

Not perfect but I have ds who's 3 (today!) and he dictated lots of it.

I think you do need to give up feeding on demand. Pretty soon preschool starts and routine will be a way of life. I found ds thrived once he knew what was going to happen. Definitely talk about what is happening now and what will come next. Esp when it coes to sleeping. For eg, "it's naptime now then when you wake up we'll go to the park"

15 month old DD..

Wakes around 7.30am & has cup of milk.
Breakfast at 8.30-9ish.
Snack around 10.30am.
Lunch at midday.
Down for nap around 12.45pm & sleeps until 3pm. Has cup of milk once up.
Dinner at 5.30pm.
7pm bath & bed, and sleeps through night.

kayesummersmummy Fri 16-Nov-12 22:43:03

this is my 15 mo routine:

7:30 - 9:00 wake up have milk
9:30 breakfast
11:00 snack
1:00 lunch
2:00 nap wake up after hour and half
6:30 dinner
7:30 bath
8:00 bottle and bed

this is if she has a good night sleep, she has sleep apnea and if she has a bad night she is so sleepy during the day and sometimes has a 2 naps for 2 to 2 30 hours long.

hugs Dizzy

dizzy77 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:38

I think, when he is 18, I might sleep past 7am. I don't ask much, honest. Pg now with DC2 and even I'd he goes through I have pg starvation/insomnia at 3am sad.

SoulTrain Fri 16-Nov-12 21:20:11

Dizzy - we feel the same and also have to get up at 6am. We take it in turns to lie in at the weekend but it never happens properly. Can you remember waking naturally?!

Welovecouscous, I might love you grin I pray you are right about sleeping through!

He already has snacks - in the car on the way home and on the table waiting for him when he gets in. In fact, I wonder if the constant availability of food causes part of the problem. One idea we have is to only offer food at set times and to take it away if it isn't eaten, hopefully instilling in him the idea that he has to eat when offered!

BrightenMyNorthernSky Fri 16-Nov-12 21:09:56

DS2 18 months:

5.45 - 6.30: wake up, cup of milk.

7am ish: breakfast
10.30: snack

then either:
11.30: nap for about 1.5 hours (he'd have longer, but then he'd get up even ealier)
1.30pm: lunch (this is the ideal scenario - he's ready for a nap by 11.30).

OR (on the days when I have to pick up DS1 from nursery at 11.30 - 4 days a week)
11.45: lunch
12.15ish: nap for 1.5 hours

3pm: snack
5.30pm: tea
6.30pm: bath
7pm: story, bf, bed (self settles, asleep by 7.30pm).

BF some time during the night approximately 1 night in 3.

But this is quite variable - some days we'll be out and he'll fall asleep in the car but then only have a 1/2 hour nap, some days I'll miss bedtime and DH will have a 2 hour screaming battle to get him to sleep... I don't feel that he gets enough sleep overall (far less than DS1 at the same age, who had a 2/ 2.5 hour nap and slept 7-7.30/8), but he seems OK on what he gets.

Welovecouscous Fri 16-Nov-12 21:04:54

I think the 11 am feed and 5 am feed are probably going to be dropped naturally any day now. I was amazed when DS stopped waking at night. One minute I was moaning, the next he was sleeping through smile

The 5 pm stressy time is something we often have here too. We have vastly reduced upset for DS by letting him have snacks before we eat. He also often bf a fair bit and I think he just gets very hungry. I give him slices of apple and cucumber to nibble at this stage. Maybe that would help?

Un MN hugs to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now