control cry a 4 month old

(149 Posts)
JPaav Thu 15-Nov-12 19:58:05

Hi all. Need some advice. My 4 month old DD is in most ways a delightful baby, but she won't sleep at night more that 2 hours at a stretch. She was going for 5-7 hours but once she was 3.5 months it all went away. I am having some health issues and very high blood pressure and both her doctor and mine have recommended that we sleep train her via controlled crying. I used this method to perfect success with my older DD when she was 7 months. Do I do anything differently this time because she is 4 months? Any other tips??

DawnOfTheDee Thu 15-Nov-12 20:43:14

I respectfully suggest you ask these 'experts' what to do then. I'm off.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 15-Nov-12 20:43:41

How many weeks is she? Could she be ready for a few spoonfuls of baby rice?

JPaav Thu 15-Nov-12 20:45:12

Recall I asked if there was anything specifically I should do differently because she is 4 months. I have done this before and I know it works. Read Weisenbluth.

MikeLitoris Thu 15-Nov-12 20:55:34

WHY ARE YOU ASKING THEN?

Your obviously going to do it anyway.

<hides thread>

Fairylea Thu 15-Nov-12 20:58:57

Much too little. Feed feed feed. Sorry not what you want to hear !

JPaav Thu 15-Nov-12 20:59:24

Um, once again, recall my original post. Is there anything I need to do differently on account of her age. Geez.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:03:05

On account of her age I suggest that you try showing some maternal instinct and not leave a 16 week old baby to self settle. I too am now hiding the thread.angry

Houseworkprocrastinator Thu 15-Nov-12 21:07:19

one of my friends used something called the pick up put down method or something like that and she swore by it. think it was around that age as well. might be worth looking into.

magoosmom Thu 15-Nov-12 21:18:07

Op do what you have to do, I let my DS CIO on Monday night after 14 exhausting months of non stop waking, he slept 12 hours that night and again last night. He had a 4 month sleep regression and never improved after that. I'm not suggesting letting her CIO she's too young but I wish I'd tackled it sooner. I never thought i let him CIO, even two weeks ago I would have been aghast at the thought of it but things came to a head at the weekend and I couldn't function anymore. Good luck.

4 months is far too young, I'm sorry but it is. Won't letting her cio be far more stressful for you (and her) than just riding the 4 month sleep regression?

Sleep depravation is fucking horrendous I get it, I really do, my son didn't sleep longer than an hour a time til he was at least 1. I thought I was going insane at times.

Can you feed her lying down in bed? I found that the easiest way, meant I could go back to sleep quickly. Please don't do cio yet, if at all.

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 15-Nov-12 21:41:27

It's a highly emotive issue BUT you are sick, your daughter needs you well. My mum was given sleeping tablets when I was a baby so that she would sleep through my crying as she was so sick. Do what you need to do for your family.

LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 15-Nov-12 21:43:18

IMO Knowing how to self soothe at 4 months is unnatural, you've got some huge expectations there on your LO.

Ill never for the life of me understand why people bother have a baby if all they want to do is 'train' it so it fits in around their lives confused
Your going to do it anyway so why ask what people think?

Btw my son fed every 2-3 hours (breastfed) until 11 months which is normal and he used to associate a bf with sleep. Again normal

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 15-Nov-12 21:44:28

Louis - she is sick and her doctors have recommended it. She's not just fed up of having no sleep.

LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 15-Nov-12 21:46:04

magoo - the difference is the op child is 16 weeks It's so young

Sleeping tablets to sleep through the baby crying Thisthread ?! shock

magoosmom Thu 15-Nov-12 21:48:39

Well done Louis hmm were you sick enough for a medic to recommend more sleep? Thought not biscuit

I'm curious to know what your bedtime routine is with her, I started a similar(ish) thread about my DD, also 4 months who was doing 5 - 7 hours until 12 weeks when she woke every two to three hours for a month. It was killing me. At the same time as it started going wrong I tried to introduce an earlier bedtime for her, and having realised that I have started putting her down between 9and 10 as I used to and she is only waking once in 10or11 hours worth of night sleep now. Have you changed anything? Or is there anything other than the development leaps that occurred at the same time as her sleep went tits up?

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:19

It was 30 years ago and I'm not recommending it, but I am not scarred from a couple of nights crying and my Mum could have been seriously ill had she not been able to sleep.

Pooka Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:21

Too young for controlled crying.

I've found with my dcs that if they get good sleep in the day, they are more settled at night. It's always been the day sleep first IME.

I've also discovered that my three started sleeping longer stretches at around the 6 month mark. With dc1 I was shattered. With dcs 2 and 3 I was fine (despite not being able to sleep when the baby slept in the day). This is because I co slept and got feeding lying down cracked - even though they were just as unsettled as dc1, I got more rest.

LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:59

But a child of 4 months may well need feeding every 2 hours. no?

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 15-Nov-12 21:51:17

That depends on weight Louis rather than age.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 15-Nov-12 21:57:19

OP. Hi all I need some advice.... <but I'm going to tell you all how to do it really> I follow weisenbluth.
Do you mean Weissbluth here OP because I googled and he's what I found.

You have a tiny new baby . It's hard. In a few months you won't remember this shitty turmoil. Your baby needs you at the moment, not a controlled environment that upsets them.

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 15-Nov-12 21:59:13

OP hide the thread and make your own decision grin

JPaav Thu 15-Nov-12 22:04:09

A four month old should be able to go at least fours hours between feeds and need 1-2 feeds at night. Gail, i haven't changed anything. She goes to bed very easily at 8 then the awakenings start after her drea
feed at 10ish. I've moved er into her own bed beside mine and that helps me a little and we are using a white mouse machine tonight. For the record I find many of the comments very hurtful. I need I get more than 2 hour stretches or my heart is on big trouble. And I have read and read about sleeping and age, not by nanny types but scientific sleep journals. Babies should be able to sleep through by 6 months period unless there I a behavioural or emotional problem (not ill kids obviously)

JPaav Thu 15-Nov-12 22:04:57

White NOISE machine. Auto correct ha ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now