Potty training while out and about

(4 Posts)
Ozziegirly Wed 14-Nov-12 04:30:25

Firstly, I know there is a potty training forum, but no one ever seems to venture there, hence, I am here.

So, I started kind of gently training my DS (2.2) on Monday. What I have done so far is taken his nappy off in the morning, and basically whenever we are at home. I showed him the potty on the floor of his room (he likes privacy!) and the loo with a small training seat.

I basically said "when you need a wee or a poo, you do it on the potty, or come and ask and I'll help you onto the loo". I wanted to see if he would kind of figure it out himself as I can't be arsed with keep asking, and when I"ve tried that in the past, he just refuses to countenance using the potty.

Anyway, so far so good. We have had numerous wees on the loo and potty, and two poos. Wonderful, and pleasing, and he is pleased with himself.

But when we go out, I have been putting those "wetness" pants on him. But we are having zero luck at all with using a loo out and about. We went to playgroup today and a couple of times I said "I"m off to the loo now, let's go together" and he would come in with me and then refuse to sit on the loo.

I'm not prepared to push it.

He then did a poo in his pants.

So, reallly my question is, how do we replicate the excellent sucess that we're having at home, with when we go out? Should I just carry on doing what I'm doing at home and keep gently asking when we're out, or is there another trick to it?

Thank you!

Ameybee Wed 14-Nov-12 04:39:10

Try a travel potty called a potette, my lo would never sit on toilet when out but she would sit on that whilst I went on loo! They fold flat n have there own bag, we found it a lifesaver! X

Ozziegirly Wed 14-Nov-12 04:44:46

Do you reckon it could be that simple? Just having his own thing to use when we're out?

Did you put your lo into pants or pull up pants when you first started going out after potty training?

The other thing I have done at home is put him in his shorts with nothing on underneath (nearly summer here) and he seems good at knowing when he's going to go with loose shorts on - but I'm nervous at doing this out as if he did a poo it would be everywhere!

Ameybee Wed 14-Nov-12 05:54:35

It could be as simple as that but you never know! Worth a try, big public toilets can be a bit scary! Yep I always helped her pulling pants up n down! We called it the 'outside potty' and talked about it before going out. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now