Anyone with tonsilitis experience please?

(8 Posts)
Horseyradish Tue 13-Nov-12 23:24:45

Thank you all for your advice. We went back to the doctors today, as you suggested that have changed his antibiotics so hopefully we'll see an improvement soon now.

Thanks again for all your help with tis everyone. Much appreciated.

LonelyLinda Tue 13-Nov-12 19:39:50

Usually once started on antibiotics the temp should start to drop within 24 hours and we've had tonsilitis a lot.

Go back to your docs, hope all is well!

felixfelicis1 Tue 13-Nov-12 14:13:53

Another agreeing with going back to the doctor. My DS and I had it about a month ago, same age as yours. His cleared up quite quickly so can't help much on that front. My doctor told me to come back if his temp hadn't gone in four days.

beela Tue 13-Nov-12 12:54:12

DS had tonsillitis last winter when he was about 15 months. He had amoxicillin, and I noticed an improvement within 24-28 hours. I would also see about changing to a different antibiotic as I think it should have kicked in by now.

I also had tonsillitis around the same time, it was horrible. I hope your DS feels better soon.

slightlycrumpled Tue 13-Nov-12 08:18:30

Agree with getting him seen again today. Tonsillitis does get worse before it gets better but given that this is day four of antibiotics and his temp is still very high I'd take him back.

My DS ended up in hospital with tonsillitis (he does have other medical problems though) & it was awful.

Hope he picks up soon. smile

Pooka Tue 13-Nov-12 08:15:03

My take is that if the antibiotics haven't helped a bit in three days it is definitely worth getting another appointment.

I had tonsillitis last year. 5 days penicillin. Then returned with vengeance. Another 10 days of penicillin, seemed better, but then returned on lst day of abs. Then another ab, but can't recall, think was amoxicillin. 7 days but again, while symptoms eased, they returned towards end of course. Finally, 7 days of co-amoxiclav and wahay - all gone.

All told it was about a month of tonsillitis. In each case the symptoms eased within 3 days, but the abs 1,2 and 3 didn't fully shift it, and it returned towards the end of the course. Hideous.

So since your ds doesn't seem any better after a few days of abs, I'd see about changing to a different one.

shrimponastick Tue 13-Nov-12 08:09:30

Oh, poor thing.

DS has suffered tonsilitis for years, only in the last couple of years becoming less frequent. He is 14.

From experience the anti biotics generally kicked in pretty quickly. Within the first couple of days.

If no improvement I would say that you get him seen today.

Horseyradish Tue 13-Nov-12 07:56:38

Hi all.

Our 10 month ds was diagnosed on Saturday with tonsilitis and given penicillin for it. However the temperature that accompanies this has been around since Friday afternoon and is still showing no signs of going....is this normal?

On the advice of the doctor we have been using both calpol and nurofen to try and control the temperature, but how long can we use this for? Yesterday despite this his temperature still spiked at 39.8 (at one point over weekend it was 40.2 but did respond to the nurofen)! Should we now be going back to the doctor?

It's awful, the poor little fella seems in agony, the glands in his throat are like golf balls, he's not really eating (although drinking plenty of water), and omg the snot! Don't even get me started on the snot!!

Any details about your experiences would be gratefully read.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now