Child has motivation and oomph of a comatosed sloth

(7 Posts)
RumBaaBaa Sun 07-Oct-12 15:19:34

Is it a recent change in him or something longer standing? Could be hormonal, or diet, or both, or just that he's got himself a particular 'tude at this stage of his growing up grin.

My brother was absolutely terrible in the mornings. Awful. Still is, aged 26... As is my dad. Genetic or learned behaviour I don't know but it drove my mum crazy for years.

My DS tries so hard to do the things that are asked of him, but only when asked. Otherwise he'd just sit there I think. So it all has to come from me or the other people around him. Mostly me, since he's only 18 months and not in nursery of any kind yet. It is totally amazing though when we've worked at something for months and then he gets it. Sounds like from your work you know what I mean smile

Frontpaw Sun 07-Oct-12 15:07:11

He is a lazy little bugger sometimes.

The annoying thing is that nine times out of ten he'll not really be arsed to go and do something, then when he does he really enjoys himself. I was really shy when I was little and just couldn't 'bring myself' to join in with lots of things, but DS isn't shy!

He's an only child so we make extra effort to get him into classes and around other kids but I'm aware that most of them do have siblings that the fight or do rough and tumble with. He does give up easily, says 'I can't do that' far too often and needs loads of motivation.

He is also late in the mornings (but then so's his dad, so its probably genetic). I get fed up nagging and geeing him up.

Ah Rum, how do you keep your motivation up - aside maternal love and desire to see your little one do well? I get fed up trying to crack this little nut, then at work I see little kiddies with SN trying really hard, working away, enjoying themselves, joining in, engaging with me...

adoptmama Sun 07-Oct-12 14:39:59

Aside from the possibility that he is just a lazy little sod, have you looked at his social skills in general. Does he 'know' how to join in - or are the other boys more physical than him, leaving him fearful to get involved? In other activities does he put himself forward or lurk on the edges? On the playground at school is he willing and able to approach others if he wants to play or does he feel he has no friends. Some children can be enjoying themselves hugely, whilst looking as if they were facing the prospect of having all their teeth pulled. If he is truly not enjoying it, I'd stop it. Try some less direct questioning - what did you enjoy today, what was the most fun thing about football and praise his efforts (if he ever makes anysmile ) If he can't actually be bothered getting himself ready on time I would simply not go - tell him once, don't give him repeated warnings, and just settle down with your cup of tea.

RumBaaBaa Sun 07-Oct-12 13:24:28

How is his diet? And his sleep patterns? If he's missing crucial nutrients or not getting enough sleep consistently that could explain his behaviour. Otherwise I'm confused and probably no help! Could just be a difficult phase I guess.

Your title made me sad though, as my little boy 'lacks motivation' to do anything because he has learning difficulties.

SummerRain Sun 07-Oct-12 13:23:50

Dd is 7 and flips between what you've described and bouncing off the walls as if she's mainlined caffeine confused

They're just weird at this age.

Scrap that, they're weird at all ages.

JacqueslePeacock Sun 07-Oct-12 13:17:24

I can't help at all, sorry, as mine is only tiny - but your title made me laugh! grin

Frontpaw Sun 07-Oct-12 12:09:33

He is Kevin the Teenager in that respect (8years old).

Do you want to go to football?
Sigh. Yeeeeesss. Ok then.
So why aren't you getting ready? Where are your boots??
Dunno

He then proceeds to stand still, moving rarely, face like someone just shot his dog, playing 'zombie football'.

Shall we stop football then? You didn't seem to enjoy it much.
Nooooooooo
What's the matter then?
Nothing

I may be missing something here, but when I was a kid, if you went to a club or class that you wanted to do, you would be leaping for joy and at the very least join in with the class. I'd rather not stand in the cold for two hours of my weekend watching a woerful display of rubbish football and littlke attempt to try.

He is like this with most things these days. Its driving us nuts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now