4 months old - too young to go in to his own room?

(15 Posts)
firstbabyhelp Fri 05-Oct-12 14:10:09

I had hoped to keep our baby in our room with us until 6 months as per the SIDS advice, however I think that both his sleep and that of me and my DH is really beginning to suffer. DH now almost always sleeps in the spare room as he snores which wakes DS up, who then wants fed back to sleep. Recently I am finding that I am also disturbing his sleep, sometimes just turning over in bed seems to wake him. So as a result, DH no longer sleeps with us, DS wakes more often than necessary, and I have a terrible nights sleep either lying in an uncomfortable position as I don't want to turn over and disturb him or up feeding him back to sleep when he does wake. Even coming in to the room to go to bed usually wakes him up. DH is keen to move him to the nursery and I agree that everyone would benefit but at the same time I really want to follow the current advice re. Reducing SIDS risk. Just wondered what others thought about this?

Pascha Fri 05-Oct-12 14:23:06

DS went in his own room all night from about 4 months, he was fine. You could use a monitor with a sensor pad under his mattress to reassure you if you're nervous.

chocolatetester1 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:55:22

If your Dc is healthy, go with it. Ds1 moved into own room at 4 months for similar reasons to yours. It was a great decision!

Curtsey Fri 05-Oct-12 21:03:38

We cracked for the reasons you describe when DD was 19/20 weeks. It was such a relief. You certainly wouldn't be the first to make the move earlier than the 6 months recommended.

Tincletoes Fri 05-Oct-12 21:11:32

I have always coslept with mine and couldn't imagine moving them into their own room at that age. But....

In saying that, if you're not cosleeping and you're obviously disturbing them, I think you'd be daft not to move them. I often read that cosleeping can increase the risk of SIDS, but I'm confident my lifestyle negates any increases in risk. Have a read up on what the risk factors are, and you'll probably see the same (I'm pretty sure being in a smoking household is the biggest risk factor for instance). And if you're ultra paranoid (like me), then buy a movement sensor monitor (my DD always starts off in her cot before she comes into our bed).

Nevercan Fri 05-Oct-12 21:15:41

We moved our first at about 9 weeks and second at 6 weeks for the same reason - everyone got more sleep and were happier smile

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 05-Oct-12 21:21:27

his sleep is supposed to be disturbed, that's how the SIDS risk is reduced, they get woken from periods of apnoea by your breathing/snoring/shuffling

Yes they (and us) do sleep way better once in their own room, much better, but that's part of the problem. I do sympathise though the last couple of months room sharing WERE a royal PITA

Mich100 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:59:15

4 weeks for mine. We all slept better. Ds is now 12 months old and a fab sleeper. Tried the sensor pad at first, but he kept rolling off it. So didn't bother. Took me about a week not to constantly keep checking.

chocolatetester1 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:03:52

Should I have said we used a video monitor? Great peace of mind, volume was sensitive enough that I could hear him breathe when I turned it up!

Figgygal Fri 05-Oct-12 22:03:57

Mine went in his own room at 12 wks it wasnt what i wanted but he woke me with every kick or movement in his basket all night every night while he was sleeping through from 8 weeks after a failed attempt at bf made way for ff at 8 weeks.

NellyBluth Sat 06-Oct-12 22:05:53

We moved DD at about 8 weeks, we were all disturbing each other, and it worked out great. Of course the research says there is an increased risk so it is something you should consider in light of other risk factors, but if you are happy and feel you are low risk on everything else then you certainly won't be the first parents to do this.

With hindsight I think it was easier at that age! She was still very noisy so we could hear her make a noise from the next room every few minutes. At 6 months she was silent at night, I would have stressed a lot more.

HearMyRoar Sun 07-Oct-12 09:48:16

Just a thought but he might be waking due to 4 month sleep regression rather then anything you are doing.

Personally I couldn't bare to move dd into another room all on her own at such young age, also I'm far too lazy to want to create a set up that would mean actually getting out of bed to feed her. But I am in the minority amongst my friends in not having moved dd to her own room so possibly my views can be discounted. smile

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 09:52:55

worth considering that you cannot hear apnoea, them going apnoeic on the monitor won't wake you, and if you have a motion monitor, by the time they've actually gone apnoeic you sadly can't resusitate from SIDS. Its not about hearing them breath if you want to, its about them hearing you breath and being jolted out of deep sleep/apnoea

Just points to take into consideration

I think it can be a good thing to move the baby early in severe PND but I think disturbing each other is actually a good thing (even though it DOES NOT feel like it at the time!)

Kiwiinkits Mon 08-Oct-12 04:38:33

of course it's fine. Baby will be fine. Everyone will be happier by the sounds of it so go for it. halloween is at the paranoid end of the spectrum.

Happybunny12 Mon 08-Oct-12 04:48:40

We're on our first night of DS in the nursery tonight! I almost always bring him to the nursery to feed anyway, And so far so good. He's 8 weeks. In my NCT group, two 'moved out' younger and two more are considering the move, with two planning the full 6 months. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now