Routines for 15 months

(53 Posts)
Cupcakemummy85 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:05:39

Hi all I was wondering if everyone could be so kind and share their routines with me as I'm at a bit of a cross roads with my dd routine. My dd is 15 months and has a great morning nap only cries for about ten mins and goes to sleep til about half twelve. However, in the afternoon she is shattered and extremley grumpy. I can't get her to nap in the afternoon no matter how tired she is! The afternoon is when we have always tended to do things so she has never really napped then and has always just been a bit of a grump in the afternoons (not so fun for her friends lol). Our routine at the moment is as follows:
7am wake
7.15am breakfast
10.30/11.30am milk then nap
1.00pm lunch
3/4pm snack
5.30pm dinner
7pm bedtime routine ie bath milk bed

I had thought of keeping her up til after lunch but right now it's 11 and he is so unbelievably tired! She is constantly whinging! Am I going worn somewhere?

capecath Wed 03-Oct-12 14:07:13

DS just turned 2 so realise a bit older but we've been in this approximate routine since about 18 months:
7:30 wake/breakfast
10am snack
12pm lunch
12:30-2 nap
3pm snack
5pm dinner
7pm bed

I remember the transition to one nap being quite difficult, but I'd put him down for an early nap anyway, even if he didn't nap, then for an afternoon nap for which he always slept.

Would definitely suggest trying to get your lunch time a bit earlier once they transition to 1 nap- it works well for having roughly equal awake periods. We do usually arrange activities in morning around 10am or 3pm onwards. Sometimes if he has a big snack we'd skip lunch and have a bigger snack after his nap. I tend to pack him a lunch anyway if I know we'll be out near lunch time. It may seem unnatural to have lunch at 12/12:30 but this really does seem to work for many toddlers. Once he has dropped his last nap this will probably all change again (long may it last....)!

capecath Wed 03-Oct-12 14:09:27

also noticed you said 7pm bedtime routine - bath milk bed. I'd bring the bath forward so that bedtime is by or before 7pm. When we were going to 1 nap, DS's bedtime was about 6:30 which also helped the grumpy afternoons.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 14:18:24

Agree with capecath, when we say bath, books bed we mean lights out at 7pm. My DD is 5 and still goes to bed at 7pm most nights, she wouldn't be able to cope any later.

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 03-Oct-12 16:40:31

I did two naps today and it seem to really work which I'm so thrilled about. 1 nap works for some children but my daughter clearly needs two. The yawn was a bit of a giveaway lol. She is still grumpy and moody as hell but I think that is just her actually sad the day I fed her her lunch early he just couldn't cope with all the food without a sleep. But when she does go to one nap I will definitely look back on this thread for reference

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 17:16:07

Glad that you've found something that works for you. Has the crying before the naps stopped now?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 17:17:28

Oh, and I've been meaning to post this:

This book might just be the perfect one for you smile.

Happiestinwellybobs Wed 03-Oct-12 17:19:16

6.30am wakes (plays in cot & dozes)
7.30 gets up and breakfast
10.00 snack
12.00 lunch followed by nap
3.00 snack
5.00 tea
6.00 bath
6.20 in the night garden!
7.00 bed

Sometimes we add a short morning nap, today we were swimming at 11.00 so she went down at 9.45 for 1/2 hour as she gets tired swimming. She is 16 months but we've been doing this for 2 months.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 17:23:28

That sounds like pretty much what we did at that age Happiest.

Cupcake are you still giving milk as a snack mid-morning too? Is she on cows milk now? Does she have the recommended amount during the day?

If she is getting more than 300 ml then you might want to think about swapping the midmorning milk for a snack and a drink.

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:44:23

300ml? I didn't know that was the recommended amount. She has breakfast, then fruit as a snack and milk before each nap and then lunch and then milk before nap and then snack and then dinner then milk before bed. Obviously there's plenty of water/juice always offered all the time.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 17:49:43

Yes, between 12 and 24 months its 300ml of full fat cows milk.

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:54:47

Oh right. She has quite a lot more than that but I've always been a massive milk drinker. I still am really lol.

forevergreek Wed 03-Oct-12 18:00:03

I think that's min guidelines. Otherwise by the time they reach adulthood the recommendation would be egg cup size!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 19:48:04

I didn't read it as just the minimum, I thought it was the amount you should roughly stick too. At that age she should be enjoying a very varied diet and not really relying on milk instead of snacks.

Could be completely wrong though.....

Bonkerz Wed 03-Oct-12 19:52:23

Ds is nearly 17 months. Routine is
6am wake
7am breakfast
8am 7oz milk
10am snack
12pm lunch
1-2:30 sleep
4pm tea
5pm bath and book
6pm milk and bed

We spend most mornings at toddler groups or swimming or soft play so DS is on the go all morning and ready for his sleep and we have found that regardless of bedtime he wakes at 6 hence the 6pm bed time.

Bonkerz Wed 03-Oct-12 19:54:32

And my health visitor told me DS should be having a pint of milk a day- he is having 14 oz a day and eats 3 meals and 2 snacks!!!!!!!!!

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:26:13

Yup my dd is pretty much on the same milk and three meals and two snacks. Milk is definitely not her snack!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 20:29:03

Cupcake, in your first post you mention breakfast then milk mid morning and then lunch. Surely this is milk instead of a snack and drink?

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:48:05

Nope. It's breakfast at 7, then around 9 a snack ie banana or raisins etc then some milk before her nap which is around half ten eleven depending on what we r doing. So u see she gets snacks to. Don't worry, my daughter gets plenty if food!!

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 04-Oct-12 10:36:37

Well I've tried one nap, two naps and she still pretty much whines before and after a nap so I'm at a complete loss as to what to do :s

minibmw2010 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:12:52

Our routine (DS16 mths) is:

7am - wake and milk (200 ml)
8am - Breakfast
10am - Snack
11.30am - Lunch
Midday - 2.30pm Nap
2.45pm - Snack
5pm - Dinner
7.15pm Bath & Milk (260ml)

The only way I can keep him up to 11.30/12 is to go out and keep him really really busy. He will still have days he needs 2 naps so if it's one of those days his first nap is about 9am (I only let him have 40 mins) and the afternoon one will be about 2pm for however long he wants. When he seems like he needs a nap I put him in his cot and leave him.

FeralGirlCambs Thu 04-Oct-12 13:20:26

7-7.45 wake, potter in cot
8ish massive breakfast including milk in beaker, half hot cross bun, half banana, whole weetabix, more milk...
10ish snack e.g oatcake and dilute apple juice
12 lunch (today was leftover bol sauce, potato, broccoli; petit filou and raspberries, breadstick)
1230-230 nap
3 snack e.g digestive biscuit, homemade cake plus milk in beaker
5pm - tea, normally somehing like scrambled egg, toast, nat yoghurt and fruit
7 bath and bottle (210 ml)

I'm finding this thread really interesting!

er1507 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:15:53

My dd is 14 1/2 mo and is flipping between one and two naps. She Wakes up about 7 most days and has brekfasf within 20/30min of her waking and milk then half hour after that. Sometimes she'll nap at about 10ish sometimes 11/11.30 on the days of her later nap I'll make sure she's had a good snack/light lunch and she'll usually wake up by 1pm so I'll give her some more food. If she's had an early nap she's usually nap again in the afternoon about 2/2.30 for half hour or so. I will not let her sleep past 3pm as she's not tired enough for bed then. Tea is usually around the 5pm mark. If she's only had one nap and woken up at 1pm then she'll be bathed and in bed for 6pm.

It's a horrible time when they're grumpy!

Hope u find soenthing that works for you!

er1507 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:16:30

Oh and we do lots of snacking between meals too! she eats loads honestly!

ZuleikaD Thu 04-Oct-12 14:54:32

Cupcake you probably can't get rid of all whingeing, but two naps does sound like the way to go for your DD.

minibmw2010 Thu 04-Oct-12 17:30:10

My 16 nth DS has whinged constantly lately, it isn't tiredness, just developing I guess sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now