Anyone's baby not smile before 6 week check?

(10 Posts)
Munchkinmommy Tue 18-Sep-12 21:53:16

It took my little girl until 8 weeks to show any real signs of smiling. Don't worry 6 works is just a rough time frame and all babies are different. It's hard though I know as you are desperate for them to smile. I was worried but have since learned that my little girl does some things earlier than others and some later.

ceeveebee Tue 18-Sep-12 20:01:53

My twins who were born at 37 weeks didn't smile until 7 weeks (ds) and 9 weeks (dd).

HumphreyCobbler Tue 18-Sep-12 19:42:34

DD didn't smile until she was about 11 weeks.

wanderingalbatross Tue 18-Sep-12 19:38:24

My DD (born at term) didn't smile till about 9 weeks. Now she's as happy and smiley as the other toddlers I know. As far as I know, 6 weeks is still early-ish to be smiling, so no need to worry just yet smile

raininginbaltimore Tue 18-Sep-12 18:59:16

She was born at 38 weeks, so early but not prem.

She screams for hours every day, so I suppose it isn't surprising.

bagpuss Tue 18-Sep-12 18:56:14

My dts didn't smile until 11 or 12 weeks old. I really worried about it at the time (even though they were 7 weeks early). I did read somewhere that any time before 12 weeks is fine, even for term babies. Try not to worry, she'll probably just do it when you least expect it! I hope your six week check goes well.

codebrown Tue 18-Sep-12 18:54:47

Was she premature? I only ask this as I had a friend who worried about the same thing, he didnt' smile until he was 12 weeks, and was born 6 weeks early. Seems to be one of those things that may be linked to chronological development as oposed to life experience, if you get what I mean.

minceorotherwise Tue 18-Sep-12 18:50:56

Mine didn't even focus until 8 weeks!

ktef Tue 18-Sep-12 18:48:43

My ds2 smiled at seven weeks, but even then I had to work really hard for a smile, i really smiled at him (looked like a mad woman) and talked really exaggerated baby talk and he just about smiled.. He is now 4 and is fine, so try not to worry!

raininginbaltimore Tue 18-Sep-12 16:28:24

DD's 6 week check tomorrow. No smile, not even one that might be wind. Nothing.

She has had thrush twice (mouth and nappy) and is screamy (source yet undetermined)

But even ds who had severe reflux smiled at 5 weeks.

Should I be worried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now