How old were your DC when you stopped using a pushchair?

(56 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 22-May-12 13:42:28

Not a judgey thread, I am just curious. DS will be 2.10 when no2 arrives and I'm not sure whether we need to start saving for a double. He is a fairly good walker but deos still whinge to be carried after a while.

Thanks!

HaplessHousewife Tue 22-May-12 18:08:20

DD was 22 months when DS was born and had only been walking for 5 months so we had to get a double and it was invaluable for quite a while. They are now 18 months and 3.4 and I can't remember the last time DD went in the buggy (other than mucking around), certainly not since she's turned 3 and probably a while before that but we do have a buggy board for when we need to move fast/she's tired.

seeingstars Tue 22-May-12 18:10:23

DD is 3.2 and she is murder at walking ie she won't. She just crys and sits on the ground refusing to get up! So I shall be having a double buggy for when no4 arrives.

Agree with SydneyB

Although we had a double and I thanked god for it when DD broke her leg...

seeingstars Tue 22-May-12 18:11:29

She will be 3.8

rhetorician Tue 22-May-12 19:03:24

our dd was exactly the same age as your ds when no. 2 arrived; we initially went with baby bjorn and buggy (for toddler), then dd2 needed pavlik harness so then we used (different) buggy with buggy board. Both worked well. She is now 3.4 and we try to make her walk whenever possible - we often go out with baby in carrier and no buggy!

ViolaCrayola Tue 22-May-12 19:06:31

We will have the same gap and have bought a cheapy old Phil and Teds off ebay. I know you can do loads of other combos but I have a bad back so will really need the chuck em both in and push option! Not very nicely put but hopefully you see what I mean...

OTOH my friend is super fit and active with no dodgy back and manages fine with a buggy board - depends a lot on your circumstances i.e. how much you drive etc too.

yakbutter Tue 22-May-12 19:06:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Adversecamber Tue 22-May-12 19:09:57

DS was about 20 months but was a giant toddler so could manage a decent stretch of the legs.

rhetorician Tue 22-May-12 19:25:45

pushing buggy + baby + toddler (even a petite one) = about 45lbs+ to push. And if you are at the wrong height it does takes its toll if you are going long distances or going up hills

Pozzled Tue 22-May-12 19:34:39

We had the same gap and I managed without a double. I used sling + buggy at first and gradually got DD1 to walk further. I did have to carry DD2 a lot though, and at 3.9 DD1 still goes in the buggy very occasionally, such as if we've been out for a long day out.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Tue 22-May-12 19:47:15

similar age gap (DD 2.9 when DS arrived) she coped fine without a double, but needed a buggy board to speed up journeys (I don't drive). I'm planning on ditching the board permanently at 3.5 because DD is pretty stonkingly lazy given the option!

mamij Tue 22-May-12 19:52:39

DD1 was 24 months when DD2 arrived (now 30 months and 6 months), and I couldn't have coped without the double.

Tired toddler after toddler groups does not make for a quick getaway to home! DH and I also used it for lovely walks during their lunchtime naps at weekends. DD1 loves walking, but sometimes easier to put her in the buggy if DD2 is crying and I'm needing to get somewhere to feed her!

bebemoojem Tue 22-May-12 20:00:00

used sling pushchair combo myself with dd's until dd2 was 6m and dd1 was just shy of 3yo. Dd1 would and could walk a lot of places, but we used it as back up until dd2 needed it.
We started out getting longer and longer walks in so that it was easier, and when we 'gave it up' and she was tired I often used a treat/bribe to get her back to the car. Like -you can have two jelly beans (which are in the car) so lets get there quick without any whining. Or -you can have a juice when we get buckled.
3m on I don't really need to bribe any longer but still 'dangle a carrot' (suggest something fun we're going to do at home) if she's getting tired. And of course we spend a lot of time making walking a game (like walking like a dragon/dinosaur/astronaut/dog/cat/fish/monkey/princess/knight/pirate).

Jubileap Tue 22-May-12 20:01:29

around 2.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 22-May-12 20:29:54

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how much I'm going to be walking as we're moving (London to Durham!) next month, so I can decide once we have a new weekly routine. I have a baby bjorn from DS1 but he HATED it as a tiny baby (loved it once he could face outwards though)...let's hope DC2 is more compliant wink

Indith Tue 22-May-12 20:36:26

To Durham! You'll have to come eat cake with us! We love cake. We have a Durham meet ups thread in the meet ups bit.

Got to say, took pushchair for afternoon school run (3 and a half year old dd already having walked morning one and nursry pick up and we live in the next village along so it is a good walk). Started off with ds2 in pushchair to encorage dd to walk/use buggy board but 2 mins in realised we'd be late at that speed, dd was in a grump. Put baby in sling, dd hopped in pushchair and went to sleep. Sometimes you just can't make them walk and you have to actually get places! I was sooo sweaty and horrible though with her to push and baby in sling. Urgh.

LynetteScavo Tue 22-May-12 20:44:17

4 with all of mine.

I like to get places when walking, and getting a 3 year old across town can take time if they are walking. It depends on your life style, I guess.

DS1 was 4.3 when DS2 was born, and I would take the sling with me under the pushchair so I could let DS1 have a ride if he was tired at the end of a long day out.

Going by threads on here, I'm obviously some kind of freak though

Clary Wed 23-May-12 00:47:45

Mine were all about 2 and a bit.

Gap between DS1 and DD s just 2 yrs, between DD and Ds2 22 mo. Never had a double as I hate them (bulky, expensive, heavy to push, won't go into shops) so used sling/buggy board.

DS2 could stay in longer but in fact by the time he was 2 and a few months DH was walking home with him from the childminders 2 miles away.

I recall taking the buggy (a Nipper) on hols when he was 2yrs 4mo and never even putting the wheels on, so I think we more or less ditched it after that.

I wouldn't bother with a double for a 2.9yr gap. And they are a bother. Also hate the Phil and Teds thing where one child is looking up at their sibling's bottom.

AngelDog Wed 23-May-12 09:08:59

<waves>

I'm planning to use a sling when DC2 arrives (DS will also be 2.10).

DS will often walk, but he's so slow that we'd never get anywhere - he walks at half my pace. We walk for 40 mins to 3 hours (my pace) every day. We have some seriously steep hills here too.

I will also need the pushchair to carry stuff (I do all my shopping on foot).

I want to try him with a bike or scooter to see if he can get around under his own steam a bit faster than walking.

Moving sounds very exciting - Durham is lovely. smile

MrTumblesCrackWhore Thu 24-May-12 11:39:29

I have a double buggy (ds1 is 2.9) but he rarely goes in it - however, it has been invaluable as he was a bolter and i could strap him into it when i was going through busy places or when we needed to march him to nursery in a straight line.

I have used mine more for safety than for anything else. He is much more compliant now but for about 6 months after dd was born, it allowed me to leave the house with the two of them, knowing if anything went wrong, i could use the restraint method as he would have regularly run off if I had sat down to feed dd.

bruffin Thu 24-May-12 11:52:57

DS was exactly 2 when dd was born and i couldn't have managed without a double. I tried a sling for a few days and it was a nightmare. We used it for about a year then sold it on. I don't drive so walk everywhere and the huge basket was brilliant for shopping.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 24-May-12 13:31:29

Thanks!

Indith I'd love to come and eat cake with you! Will have a look at the meet ups thread. I don't know anyone in Durham so it will be nice to have a chat and a cuppa.

AngelDog DS has a scooter. He loves it, but would much rather push it around than scoot on it - so it hinders our progress if anything. I often end up carrying DS and the scooter home from wherever we have been! Hopefully now that the weather is nicer we'll be able to do a bit more practising!

MrTumbles DS is not a bolter (he spends most of his days wrapped around my leg or trying to climb into my lap) so I don't need to worry about that too much!

Thanks again for all your replies!

Indith Thu 24-May-12 13:50:39

grin

dd is like that with a scooter. She has a bike and a scooter and can use both perfectly well but she insists that she can't hmm. She gets on, does about 2 metres to the end of our hard standing then pushes it the rest of the way to the park where it sits on the grass looking all neglected.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 24-May-12 14:17:52

...until another child expresses an interest in it, then suddenly it becomes desirable again? wink

Indith Thu 24-May-12 14:22:36

You must have met my dd grin. Nooooooo! That's MINE!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now