Pollakiuria - when your child constantly says they need to wee

(7 Posts)
SuperSixy Tue 13-Sep-11 08:33:30

Hello all mums and carers
The link below takes you to an article I have written about a condition called Pollakiuria, which is when your child says they need a wee every 10-15 minutes all day, every day. When my son had this condition, I found it very hard to get a diagnosis or any help, so I am posting this article here for information, in the hope that anyone trawling the net for info like I did will find it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F_flGKAATWIqv6M173PlwOjcaPOM4BmYSg3Dj99R818/edit?hl=en_US

BethPe Fri 07-Oct-11 20:21:02

Thank you so much for your article! I just started experiencing this with my 4 year old son. I had no idea what to do. My GP just dismissed it and didn't even do a UTI test. I would like to have him tested to be sure there's no issue that way, though from all the sounds he has this Pollakiuria condition. I'll have to notify my GP about this condition as I think she's never heard of it.

After reading your article I now have something I can do to help my son get back on track. Thank you again!

LingDiLong Fri 07-Oct-11 20:39:47

Well I never knew this was a condition with an actual name...but I thought it was pretty common. My DD went through this when she was reception age. GP checked her for urine infections and it was all clear. He suggested that she had simply got anxious about weeing and had got in a vicious cycle of weeing too frequently which had made her bladder weak which made her need to wee more etc etc. We made her wait a bit longer between wees and it got better by itself quite quickly...

olivo Sun 09-Oct-11 09:14:04

nks for that - good timing for us. My 5yo DD is driving us potty with her constant 'i need the toilet' -we thought she may be constipated so tried some lactulose, but no result. I will investigate this further.

SarahAndFuck Fri 30-Aug-13 11:12:06

I am reanimating a ZOMBIE THREAD because 4yo DS has started to do this.

He's constantly going to the toilet in a very short space of time but isn't complaining of or showing any signs of a UTI so I wasn't sure if I should take him to the doctor.

I'm wondering now if it's linked to going back to school next week. It's a big change this time.

He will be there all day instead of just mornings. He will have a new teacher and some new classmates, while some of his previous classmates will be in another room now and his best friend has changed schools completely.

He will be staying for school dinners and will have a proper PE teacher and getting changed into a PE kit for the first time.

He had seemed to be coping well and even looking forward to all this, but I'm wondering now if the constant trips to the toilet for a wee are a sign that he's feeling anxious after all.

OP are you still about to offer any further advice, or does anyone else have a child going through this now?

Thank you very much for that article by the way OP. I think I might print it off for my meeting with DS's new teacher next week. They have toilets just off the classroom and children can go whenever they like, but I think it might help to explain the problem to her in case it carries on once he's back at school.

Loulou62 Wed 18-Sep-13 13:07:51

It's such a relief to read this article.Our 4 year old son thinks he needs a wee a lot. I have been trying to ignore it as he is otherwise well. He started school a few weeks ago and his teacher pulled me to one side today to say he spent ' too much time in the toilet and was it going to become a problem'. I didn't know what to say but having read this article it gives me something to go on.
I won't be making a big deal of it and will be trying distraction methods in future.

Whatabriteidea Fri 16-Sep-16 14:43:16

I cannot thank you enough for this article!

My daughter had all of the symptoms noted and as your article says I started to frantically search the Internet to try and find some way of helping her.

We had ruled out all possibilities of infection with the doctor and was then told that she would "just grow out of it", something you don't want to hear when your daily life is taken over by this condition.

I followed all of the points that your article notes and within a few days we saw a drastic improvement.

Thank you once again and if anyone is looking for help with frequent urination I cannot recommend this article enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now