16 month old talks in sentences, counts and picks out words in stories

(191 Posts)
Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 15:39:17

Hello. I'm new here and wondered if other mums have had children who have developed these skills so young. My 16 month old daughter talks very clearly in short sentences, can count and knows how many objects - not just saying numbers. She also started pointing at words in stories and telling me what they said at 14 months.

I only know 4 other mums with kids the same age, all of whom are non-verbal or only saying a couple of words and just want to know if my little one is within the normal range of development. One of the other mothers I mentioned thinks there might be something 'wrong' with my daughter. In my heart I feel she is 'normal' just quick mentally.

She also crawled at 14 months and walked at 16 months so not quick at everything whereas the other 16 month olds we know were all early walkers.

Also wondering whether me being at home with her all day one-to-one has an effect. Other 4 mums all work full time, kids in nursery.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

merryberry Mon 25-Jul-11 15:44:54

Just wondering how you chose your username, new user Ophuchi?

Jajas Mon 25-Jul-11 15:47:02

Stealth Boasting I think you'll find it called on here grin!

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 15:47:09

It was one of the names George Lucas came up with when he was writing the Star Wars saga and he didn't end up using it but I kinda like it - got a nice ring to it smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 15:48:31

Sorry jajas, don't want to boast - that's why I'm asking on an anonymous forum!

nulgirl Mon 25-Jul-11 15:48:41

Stealth boasting AND a snipe at working mothers. Bravo.

michglas Mon 25-Jul-11 15:50:00

love your entrance there Opuhuchi - bragging much? wine

Jajas Mon 25-Jul-11 15:50:47

Ok, maybe you will be given the benefit of the doubt as you are new smile.

I would forget all about what your child and all the others can or can't do - it probably won't matter at all in 20 years time wink.

well the developmental guide or a 16 month old says 'By 16 months, your toddler will probably start making many common consonant sounds, such as t, d, n, w, and h. Learning to make these sounds is a watershed event, one that leads to the rapid vocabulary spurt that most children go through starting around 18 months. Don't expect to hear all these sounds in actual words yet. But you may hear him repeating them when he's alone in his crib or playing with his toys.'

so a 16 month old being able to read and count is freakishly advanced

what sort of sentences does she say?
what sort of words can she read?

BooyHoo Mon 25-Jul-11 15:52:22

it was your magical fanny. working mums dont have them. two different breeds of people you see. aren't you lucky.

Reality Mon 25-Jul-11 15:56:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 15:59:58

Thanks for all your replies - love the one about the magical fanny! Yes, it won't matter in 3 years, never mind 20. Sorry if I offended anyone.

<<bows>> to booyhoo. Funniest response I've read for a long time.

Your DD is very bright OP. My eldest wasn't far behind and is still very bright.

Thats it though., she's bright. No biggie.

i am not offended
i am really really interested

can your baby read the words when they are taken out of context?

happymole Mon 25-Jul-11 16:07:28

I was interested until the smug 'I stay at home' comment

biscuit for you

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:10:42

I don't expect that she's gifted. There are no gifted people in my family however her father is a smart cookie. I just think she's developed a bit earlier than the norm mentally but not physically. To answer janitor's question she says things like 'want on the swing, mummy' 'daddy's socks are smelly - poo' and as for words she can pick out hello, bye-bye, burp, yuck and maybe 20 other words. We do all the normal toddler stuff but she just has a thing for stories so I read to her a lot.

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Jul-11 16:15:37

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:17:05

She can recognise the same word in different stories if that's what you mean mildmanneredjanitor but i've never thought to write stuff down and ask her. I apologise to those who think I'm smug about staying at home - I'm not - it can be very lonely sometimes. I just think a child will come on faster if it has one-to-one attention be that from mum, dad, granny, childminder whoever. That is only my opinion though and you are all entitled to disagree.

Well, that's nothing. Mine had read the works of Tolstoy before his first birthday and compsed his first symphony at 14 months.

BelleEnd Mon 25-Jul-11 16:20:42

Thta's nothing. Mine could write in paragraphs by 16 months. And recite the entire periodic table. He is 6 now, and loves Tolstoy.

BelleEnd Mon 25-Jul-11 16:21:20

x-post Sheik grin Great minds eh- I know where our DCs get it now...

Mine is 6 too. He is not currently sat on the sofa chewing a cushion and watching Bear Behaving Badly. Oh no.

merryberry Mon 25-Jul-11 16:30:07

Oh, Ophuchi, you are being nice about the ribbing, well done. i did suspect trollism at first, but no longer, as a) your name reads phonetically o-fucky and b) it's a star wars reference and I thought, hairy handed geek boy troll

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Jul-11 16:30:20

OMG, secondcoming. I don't know how you can show your FACE round here.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:37:34

Sorry guys, I know how it must sound but when an experienced mum with 5 kids said she thought there might be something wrong I worried a bit. Glad to hear about other folk's kids who started like that and are getting on fine now.

Sirzy Mon 25-Jul-11 16:37:37

Really op it makes no difference at this age. They all get to the same point eventually, being able to do them early means nothing.

Ds could count to 10 by his first birthday, but I haven't signed him up for uni just yet ;)

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 25-Jul-11 16:38:08

Ophuchi, I think children just develop different skills at different rates. DD1 was an early talker (and hasn't bloody stopped very since) - full sentences by 12 months, could count to 20 by 15 months, that sort of thing. She did not, however, move. At all. Until she was 20 months. She progressed very rapidly though primary school and was put up a year but is now a fairly bright but certainly not gifted 16 year old. Lovely girl, though! DD2, on the other hand, was walking properly at 8 months and was a pain in the backside, but the only word she would ever say until she was almost 2 was "NO!". And now at 14 she is just as bright as DD1. DS on the other hand, was a very average baby, but is now showing signs of genius - to my mind anyway.

I would like to point out that mine went to nursery from the age of 4 months as I was working!

I just think children are all different and develop at their own speed but I don't think it is any indication of adult intelligence.

Journey Mon 25-Jul-11 16:38:11

Just enjoy your DD and stop comparing her with other kids. She's doing well at the moment but the other babies might catch up/over take her over time.

Your comparison about the other babies having full-time working mums and being in nursery offensive. Comments like these just make you sound smug.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 25-Jul-11 16:39:10

When the mum of 5 suggested there was something "wrong", she was just being daft and a bit envious, I'd say. Perhaps you were rubbing in the talents of your PFB just a little and she was having a bad day! grin

BelleEnd Mon 25-Jul-11 16:40:51

OMG SecondComing- Struggling with her Urdu? Mine picked that up in no time. As for Cantonese... Don't you know that Mandarin is where it's at?
It can be embarassing to have a gifted child- Experts thought they'd unearthed an unknown Shakespeare sonnet until they realized it was something DS had cooked up for me for mother's day...

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:42:03

Love your name return... Good to know you had one the same and she's fine now smile

kindlekid Mon 25-Jul-11 16:42:13

I'm going to go against the herd here and say it sounds very advanced to me.

16 months? Speaking full sentences? Counting? Reading?

I know there is a range of normal but surely this is far ahead.

Have you mentioned it to your HV?

Ophuchi - I doubt there's anything wrong as such.
How are her physical skills? Some children develop some skills earlier than others pretty much at the expense of the other skills. Your DD seems to have very advanced verbal skills at the moment but it will probably all balance out by the time she's 5.

Welcome to MN, btw and good for you being so goodnatured about the piss-taking. smile

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 16:44:06

Just what do you imagine could be wrong with your DD because she can do these things?

Thank you for the advice about reading to your child - I knew I had gone wrong somewhere.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 25-Jul-11 16:44:19

When you say "she's fine now" ... what do you mean, exactly? There was never anything wrong with her!

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Jul-11 16:45:44

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:47:05

Met the mum of five in the park last week. Little one was just chatting away as she always does when she said something about other kid's fluffy, yellow jacket and was counting her 'swings' - I wasn't trying to rub anything in!

PirateDinosaur Mon 25-Jul-11 16:48:17

I started reading around that age (am not a genius now grin). I did wonder whether my mother (who worked until I was two and a half, by the way) was exaggerating but I do have one friend whose elder DS started reading at 16 months too. So it's extremely unusual but by no means unheard of and probably not related to employment status.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:50:19

Aaaaargh! Don't want to boast, don't want to have a go at working mums, just wanted reassured that there's nothing wrong with my wee girl!

Sorry return - worded that wrong!

Look, apart from the cock-up re. WOHMs, the OP has explained that her mum-of-5 friend mentioned there might be something "wrong" - so that's where she's getting it from - and she wants to know if this mum-of-5 is right. Which she obviously isn't.

Ophuchi - one thing you will learn about this forum very bloody fast is that people will pick up on one thing you say and it will get Chinese-whispered down the thread quite fast if you're not careful.

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Jul-11 16:51:48

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:52:01

Cheers pirate, good to know.

RitaMorgan Mon 25-Jul-11 16:53:02

She sounds very cute, and very advanced verbally for her age. I work in early years and have come across a few children like this - one in particular I remember who could tell you in whole sentences about things that happened yesterday and plans for tomorrow when he was less than 18 months shock

Nothing at all wrong with her though, and I doubt it has anything to do with you being at home either.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:54:36

Thanks thumbs.... I really didn't mean to offend anyone. Only thought that one-to-one attention might be good for little ones. It might make sod all difference. What do I know, she's my first one.

kindlekid Mon 25-Jul-11 16:55:28

Meant to add in my post that the only reason I said to mention it to your HV is so that she could reassure you that even if your dd is advanced there is nothing 'wrong' with her.

SpottyFrock Mon 25-Jul-11 16:55:32

Well DD1 couldnt pick out words in books but by 16mths she was taking in sentences and could count to 10 but only by rote.

She's now 5.5 and whilst bright, she isnt exceptional. What she is is a pain in the bottom (though I love her dearly) who knows how to create more mischief than my other 2 put together.

The reading is a little freakishly early. Whilst the talking in sentences is unusual its not vitually unheard of. I've never come across a child who was reading at 16mths.

Oh and it really is not because you are a SAHM and your friends go to work.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 16:56:31

You still haven't explained what you thought might be wrong with your DD?

<Exit adds one to one attention to things to do with DD>

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:56:42

Cheers Rita. That was all I really wanted, for someone to put my mind at rest!

exit - how can she explain it? It was the other mother who suggested there might be something "wrong".

BelleEnd Mon 25-Jul-11 17:00:37

Sorry if the piss-taking offended you, OP, I was only having a laugh. She sounds bright, though they do all tnd to even out between ages 5-6. Enjoy her!

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:00:39

Thanks spottyfrock. Erm no I haven't been to HV since 12 months but didn't want ask that sort of thing in front of loads of other mums in real life!

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:03:50

It's ok I suppose I deserved a bit of gentle piss taking, I didn't word it very well! I hope she'll be just the same as all the other kids when she gets to school smile

pinkthechaffinch Mon 25-Jul-11 17:05:23

You need to read 'The Battle Hymn Of the Tiger Mother' OP

I'm sure one of hers was counting and adding by 18 months and reading.

I'm sure she'd have some tips for you.

Ds now an adult was similarly able, considered gifted in Primary, was an absolute nightmare in Secondary school because he was mostly bored (although exceptionally well behaved at home)and probably contributed to the nervous breakdowns of quite a few staff.
Nowadays as an adult he holds a senior position in Local Government and is tipped for the top.
I can't and don't claim any credit for his ability as I had PND and he wasn't given all that much attention tbh.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:10:41

No, I'm sorry I don't agree with that! Not into 'making' my child do stuff. Just do what she wants to.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:11:31

Thanks insanity

NerfHerder Mon 25-Jul-11 17:14:47

My DD was like this- spoke in full coherent sentences at 19mo, in the way a 7yo would, but until that point had not said a single word (no 'mama' or 'dada'). She didn't crawl until 16mo either, then walked 1 week later, never wobbled or toddled, just got up and walked straight across the room hmm.
She could count up to around 12 objects too. (No reading though as far as I could see, though she recognised all letters by 2.4)

(She was at nursery FT btw... wink)

She is bright, but not gifted (now 5). I think children develop different parts of their brains at different rates, and according to their environments. Her language and communication skills were advanced, but to the detriment of other areas of development.

Her physical development was far behind that of her peers, so it's worth keeping an eye on that as she gets older. (My DD couldn't jump or hop or skip for a long time, and was very physically awkward, though that has improved a lot over the past 18mo, though she is still very cautious with physical activities.) She also has a lot of issues with sleep, and being able to stop talking...

ScarlettIsWalking Mon 25-Jul-11 17:15:25

Dd was like this but also walking/ crawling very early.

You have a bright child, nothing wrong just enjoy. Dd is still the same and doing brilliantly. I don't think amything you said was offensive at all.

NerfHerder Mon 25-Jul-11 17:17:45

SiW- are you a namechanger?

NerfHerder Mon 25-Jul-11 17:18:37

Argh- ignore that, misread your post! sorry smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:19:34

Love your name nerfherder! Yes, my daughter is definately physically behind average so I will keep an eye and see how things progress - sleep issues here too!

Thank you Scarlett, I didn't aim to offend!

DandyLioness Mon 25-Jul-11 17:22:40

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 17:23:12

Yes - and the OP then came on here to ask - but she must have had some idea surely, otherwise she would simply have dismissed the notion as thetosh-- it is.

Maybe it would be like those poor children who age prematurely, Non? Your brain uses up all its potential too early?

<Exit is now glad that she never thought to read to her child or give her one to one attention>

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 17:24:49

Sorry, my post was in reply to Thumb.

DandyLioness Mon 25-Jul-11 17:25:26

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:37:22

Thanks Dandylioness, the other 4 kids we know all walked at nine - ten months and their mums let us know about it so I thought my wee one was a bit behind there. I'm just going to enjoy her and not worry about this stuff anymore smile

SJisontheway Mon 25-Jul-11 17:39:16

Your dd sounds exceptionally bright to me and reminds me of a little girl I used to babysit for. She could read the paper at aged.2. She did really well in school and is now a.doctor. her mum worked though.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 17:44:06

Thanks SJ

SpottyFrock Mon 25-Jul-11 17:51:05

Thesecondcoming, it's similar with my DD1. Fortunately for DS, he came first so the fact that he only had single words til nearly two and seemed only to want to eat playdoh didn't seem to phase anyone.
However, poor DD2 has been constantly compared. And yet, whilst she may (likely) end up being academically average, she seems the happiest and most content of the three!

SpottyFrock Mon 25-Jul-11 17:57:11

Sorry, TSC, that was to your post much earlier about your DD and DS being compared. I wrote the post then just nattered on the phone for ages!

<sudden realisation> ^MN and phone calls-thats why poor DD2 isn't as advanced! grin

nenevomito Mon 25-Jul-11 18:01:45

There's been some harsh replies on here. Have PM'd you.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 18:52:21

Thank you all for your replies, and especially babyheave for the pm. The consensus of opinion seems to be not to worry too much about what other people say (experienced mums or not) and just get on with enjoying our lovely daughter. I'll take this as a lesson to have more confidence in my own instincts.

DandyLioness Mon 25-Jul-11 18:54:20

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 18:57:06

I don't know - the other mum said there might be something wrong with her and I was a bit upset so never asked what she meant - just made a wee joke that any child of my husbands was never going to be right in the head!

happybubblebrain Mon 25-Jul-11 18:57:20

My dd has been going to nursery since she was 1 and I was having fluent conversations with her about everything when she was 16 months old. She was able to say words like psychology at that age too. She was also able to count to ten without any prompting and she knew her whole alphabet age 2. I think we both have clever children, and I don't think it has anything to do whether they stay at home or go to nursery.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 18:59:47

In the back of my mind I just kind of picked up on unusually early development signifying later problems from stuff on tv etc...

DandyLioness Mon 25-Jul-11 19:01:06

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:02:02

Thanks happy, that's good to know

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:04:04

Well, that's why I was asking really. Maybe just not thinking too clearly at the moment as have just had a miscarraige, hormones all over the place.

Octaviapink Mon 25-Jul-11 19:04:27

How is she with puzzles and spatial orientation? Can she build towers out of blocks? I only ask because usually if a child has focussed on one set of skills their others can be lacking. She sounds lovely but you need to make sure that she doesn't just focus on the alphanumeric stuff. When she's older the ability to park the car will be of more value than knowing the alphabet!

DandyLioness Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:11

Mavend Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:56

Aww.She sounds bright.Enjoy her for who she is.Doesn't sound like anything to worry about,certainly.FWIW I have 2 dcs,one who is fairly bright,though no geniussmile,and one with severe learning disability.I love them both to death!If it is your first post you may find some replies slightly cutting on here!Welcome to Mumsnetsmile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:09:05

Octavia - Yes, she can build towers, can do 12 piece peg puzzles and simple jig saws. Her mum on the other hand is crap at parking!

DD1 was very verbally advanced, but didn't walk until she was 18mths and couldn't jump until she was 3 and a half.

She's just turned 5 and is good at computers, but 'behind' for her age at drawing.

Point being, they're all different and good at different things.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:12:33

Thank you DandyLioness. This is the second baby I've lost but it doesn't get any easier. I just like to focus on the child I have smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:14:01

Thank you mavend and mrs buggy

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:14:48

Away to put the little monster to bed smile

OriginalPoster Mon 25-Jul-11 19:31:11

DandyLioness
But what I don't get, is why on earth talking so well and 'reading' early could imply something to worry about? What sort of condition were you thinking of?

There is a condition called hyperlexia which has links to some ASDs. It means reading early and well but with relatively poor understanding.

But from this description there is no suggestion her dd has hyperlexia. But it is an example of where doing something early is an indicator to screen for any other difficulties, which may need support.

pranma Mon 25-Jul-11 19:34:50

My dd was reading words/picking out letters at around 18 months.By 2ish you could read very simple books and pick out many words.The first 'proper' book she read was 'The Railway Children'-she was 5.But....she is no genius and by the age of 11 was in the top quarter of an average primary class.She got 10 A-C GCSE's but only 4 were A's.She got 4 A levels-2A's.She got a 2:1 degree in Philosophy from a redbrick university and then a PGCSE.She will be 37 next week-a mum of 2;teaching part-time and with a contented life.I am proud of her.She is not outstandingly academic-many who didnt read till they started school went to Oxbridge,took starred firsts and did Phd's.Truly very precocious reading just means that that part of her 'swichboard' was connected early other parts late.By 11 she will be just the same as many bright little girls.

pranma Mon 25-Jul-11 19:35:12

missed the 't' out of switchboard

sungirltan Mon 25-Jul-11 19:45:55

op- my dd was the last to walk by months (she was 18 months when she walked) when the others started at 9 months. however dd talked months before and is very advanced in comparisom to her 4 pals. it has got to the point where i find it embarrasing that she has about 350 words/counting/colours and heaps of sentances BUT i am noticing how the others are slowly catching up - i reckon by the time they are all 2 that they will be much the same.

i do think there is something in the either talk or walk theory though.

PlentyOfPubgardens Mon 25-Jul-11 19:46:34

so ... is it pronounced 'Oh Fucky'?

DP was telling me his theory last night that Star Wars was all based on porn, so you have Obi Wanky Knobby, Princess Lay Her, Hand Solo ... grin

Your DD sounds lovely smile

WriterofDreams Mon 25-Jul-11 19:51:44

Ha Opuchi, can I just say I am very impressed with the way you took the negative replies on this thread. I think MN is going to suit you! Often, talking about how well your children are doing or any mention of the whole WOHM/SAHM thing earns you a lot of mockery and derision (as you learned on this thread). Good for you for not retaliating or taking it personally.

I can understand your worry but chances are your friend said what she did out of jealousy. The older DD gets the more you'll find others try to play down her achievements, it's a culture thing. Don't worry about anything being wrong with her. You're right that pockets of unusual development can indicate certain disorders but it's very unlikely, so just enjoy your chatty DD.

Very sorry to hear about your miscarriages BTW. It's a horrible thing to have to deal with. Hope you're getting plenty of support and that you're looking after yourself.

reallytired Mon 25-Jul-11 20:09:53

Ophuchi,

I take it your child is a precious first born. (pfb)

When you have your second you realise how little enviroment makes to your child in the early years. My ds was developmentally delayed and under the local child development centre for five years. At nine years old he is on the top table for every subject. It shows that the ablity to walk or speak in sentences or do jigsaws at 16 months means very little.

DD development is very advanced. We have seen the health visitor quite a bit over the last years as DD weight fell from the 50th centile to the 0.4th. Our health visitor was not in the least bit interested in advanced development. I am just relieved DD is actually growing.

DD could speak in sentences, walk, use the potty, draw and do jigsaws at the same age as the OP. She has been parented in the same way as my slower developing son. We have had looks when we are out with DD who is tiny speaks fluently.

Development is a journey. Many children catch up later.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:14:00

Thanks for all your replies. I believe it's pronounced oh-foo-chee but oh-fucky's fine by me. I was a wee bit upset when putting little one to bed, hormones getting the better of me and she said 'don't cry, Mummy' and gave me a kiss. Poor little thing's got more sense than her daft mum has!

I don't know why anyone would be jealous, surely every child is just as special to their mum regardless of what they do or say.

bandgeek Mon 25-Jul-11 20:18:49

Both my DC were talking in sentences by the time they were 16 months, and I can remember DS could count to 20 when he was 18months old (he used to count whilst climbing the stairs). I can't remeber how old DD was when she could count, but when she started nursery just after her 2nd birthday, all the nursery workers used to comment on her speech as she was so fluent! She used to tell them all my secrets grin

They are now 5 and 6, and while I would say they are bright they are nowhere near genius level. Thank God!

ThePosieParker Mon 25-Jul-11 20:23:29

DS2 was speaking in 4/5 word sentences at 13 months, first words at 8 months. He would say hello pretty lady to shop assistants. He couldn't read though, but would count uip the stairs, I assumed this is because we did it every night. He's eight, great at Maths but not gifted by any stretch!! In fact dd1 who talked much later was much better linguistically by four.

Are you thiknking 'spectrum' OP?

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:30:10

Sorry Posie, not sure what 'spectrum' means. I think after all the replies that I'll stay with my gut instinct which is that she's developed early and this will level out to normal. Thanks for all the replies from those who have similar children, very reassuring.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:33:28

Special thanks to writerofdreams. My husband is away just now but will be back at the end of the week. I'm just getting on with things and waiting for the next egg smile

TBH the whole someone said there may be something 'wrong' with DD as the reason for the post. Ophuchi has admitted its her first and she doesn't know. As a LP with one child I can assure you I use to listen to the mums on their 4/5th child as I felt they had all the knowledge.

I have ophuci ime as a nursery nurse noticed a very slight correlation between the sendentary children (like your DD who crawl/walk later) tend to have better spoken skills, more interest in books etc whereas the active children (like my DS who walked at 10 months --and never stayed still--) tend to have stronger social skills. This is purely anecdote though and very close also to the tsereotypical boy/girl generalisations that are banded about.

She sounds advanced in her language skills, the thing to watch is that a) it doesn't encourage you to talk to her/ let her watch things to 'old' for her as her emotional maturity may not be advanced and b) I'm not sure how much the reading/ speaking early will make a difference. My mum says I could spell, including the word magnet hmm at 3yo - I'm dyslexic. grin

BrawToken Mon 25-Jul-11 20:42:15

Neither of my kids spoke (sentences) until they were twoish. Both walked at 8 and 9 months. My pal had a dd like yours 4 days after my dd2 was born who was extremely quick off the mark, but a stroppy wee thing grin She was very slow to walk and my dd2 (now 2.11) still runs rings round her physically but is not as advanced verbally/counting/reading etc

Swings and roundabouts really.

It does sound like she is advanced in speaking at this point.

It is almost certainly not to do with your constant presence.

Your genes - maybe. You not working - nope.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:51:45

Thanks youarekidding - yes that was the reason for my post! I'll be careful with the maturity issue although she's not interested in tv yet.

For what it's worth I don't think it makes the blindest bit of difference come primary school age when a child reads or talks. They will be no different when they are ten. I think I've just been worrying over nothing. As I said, I should stop listening to more experienced mums and trust my own judgement.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:55:25

Thanks, my mum did say once that the nursery school had me tested when I was three and that I had the ability of an average 6 year old (reading/drawing/wriring/spatial) not physical stuff but I went on to leave school as soon as possible so I could pay rent so nothing happened with that!

jellybeans Mon 25-Jul-11 21:00:16

My older girls were very advanced with speech and in G&T sets at high school. I SAH for one and WOH for the other so not sure that has much to do with it. My twins had a difficult birth and had severe language delays and reading issues but caught up fully age 6. Now they are average to above in their grades. My youngest DS was talking very very early and can say the alphabet at 2.5 and say very long sentances but he was a quite slow walker and had feeding issues with his reflux. But I am not sure it means anything really long term. Most kids are quick at some things and slow at others. Some kids are very bright but mess about at school, others are not so bright but try hard and acheive, you never know.

keevamum Mon 25-Jul-11 21:15:50

Hi,
I just wanted to reassure you it is normal although as others have said it is advanced for her age. My eldest was the same very verbally advanced she was putting two words together at 10 months old and speaking in sentences at 15 months old. She is now 11 and still naturally bright, just got into a grammar school. However, she is also very lazy and now her peers are definitely catching up and unless she starts to apply herself at secondary school she will be overtaken by her harder working peers so it will even out at some stage. She could also count and read words. However like you said with your dd she was later with her physical development and is still now hopeless at sports!! There is always a trade off! Enjoy her though I think you are very lucky to have such an insight into their minds at such a young age. My second dd developed normally and for a while this concerned me as she was poles apart from her big sister but is now doing very well at school because she is unlike her sister in that she works much harder.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:20:41

Thanks jellybeans. If she's like me she'll always be last on sports day!

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:23:30

Thanks Keevamum. I feel like she's normal now after everyone reassuring me. This really is a nice place once you get past the folk trying to wind you up!

lingle Mon 25-Jul-11 21:28:26

"the thing to watch is that a) it doesn't encourage you to talk to her/ let her watch things to 'old' for her as her emotional maturity may not be advanced "

Yes I agree. When a child starts to talk so early, people (other people I mean, not you) tend to forget that her speech stage is not the same as her overall developmental stage. So they might be expecting inappropriate things (and the poor child may try to behave accordingly whereas her later talking peers may get to enjoy being babied a wee bit longer).

My child spoke (very) late and I used to find myself judging my neighbour's early talking 1/2/3 year old as if she was a 3/4/5 year old (because that's what she sounded like to me) and expecting her to behave as if she was much older.

lingle Mon 25-Jul-11 21:29:48

Oh and no it won't be anything you've done it's just the way her genes unfurled.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:30:09

ok, thanks lingle, will watch out for that.

sedgiebaby Mon 25-Jul-11 21:32:32

I'm a first time mum of an 9 month old, so what do I know...but I think you should be very proud of your dd. Please just enjoy her and try not to worry, she sounds delightful smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:36:34

Lingle - I didn't really think it would be but was just running reasons through my head as to why my child was so different.

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:38:02

thanks sedgiebaby smile

StitchingMoss Mon 25-Jul-11 21:45:05

Hi Opuchi, and welcome to MN smile.

I would definitely second what lingle has said about not treating your DD as older than she is. DS2 (21 mths) is very advanced verbally and with his comprehension and I know I expect much more of him than I did of DS1 at the same age blush.

As a teacher I would say it's incredibly hard to know how children will develop over time as some of them plateau while others leapfrog. Just enjoy every minute of her - the time flies by smile.

And I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I had 2 m/cs before my DC were born - devastating sad.

Good luck with ttc x

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 21:50:36

Thank you stitchingmoss. Sorry for your losses also. I appreciate I am very lucky to have a healthy child and can only hope that she might have a sibling to play with in the future.

Chundle Mon 25-Jul-11 22:12:32

Op she is prob totally fine however a very small minority of kids that do read etc at an early age can be autistic but you would know by now if this was the case or not so I'd go with the flow and enjoy her jibber jabber smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 22:26:59

I think now perhaps this is what the other mother was implying, either autism or hyperlexia but I'm not going to worry now. She was very concerned about my dd not walking (until three weeks ago) so she maybe just worries too much and passed those concerns on to me. Many people have told me about their similar children so it appears my daughter is not so unusual after all smile

Ophuchi Mon 25-Jul-11 22:52:25

Thanks again to all who provided useful replies and to all of those who made us giggle with their daft wind ups. The magical fanny comment really made my day! Seriously though I can go to bed feeling reassured that my wee girl is just fine. I wish you all the best of health. Goodnight.

OP, the other mother is jealous. Just saying.

dycey Tue 26-Jul-11 07:59:26

I am curious that so many posters are so convinced that environment has no impact. OP, surely that is just a matter of opinion since nobody actually knows. The posters who have personal anecdotes are worth giving a little more weight to. I think the nature / nurture debate is still ongoing. And very interesting.

dietstartstmoz Tue 26-Jul-11 08:18:44

Hi Op and welcome to mumsnet. Just wanted to add my bit.
Your DD sounds great and i'm sure she is fine developmentally. All kids develop at different rates. But, I did want to expand on the 'on the spectrum' comment earlier. By this they have meant Autistic Spectrum Disorder, and I have 2 Ds and DS2 is on this spectrum, so he is Autistic. It is a spectrum as there are a 1000 different versions of ASD and no 2 kids with ASD are the same. Some Autistic kids can have very advanced skills in some areas, including reading and numbers, but issues with other areas. My HV passed my son at all his developmental checks, despite us as parents being concerned. There is a condition called Hyperlexia, which is where kids have a reading age very advanced for their years (often linked to ASD), although your DD sounds like her speech is very advanced too so it's probably just linked to that.
I just wanted to explain what 'on the spectrum meant', and should any parent have any worries at all they should always see their GP and ask for a referral, my HV did not pick up on any issues and DS2 passed all his checks with her.
I'm sure your DD is just fine, enjoy her.

Ophuchi Tue 26-Jul-11 08:19:58

Pippi - I don't think so, I think she's just a worrier. She has 5 lovely children, all who happened to be very early walkers and tbh it would be a bit sad if she were to be jealous.

Dycey - Yes, I had thought there would be more of a divide on that score but apparantly not. I know we as a family are very happy with the choices we have made for our daughter. One of these included on demand breastfeeding up until very recently so that would have been very hard to do had I been working. But just because it was right for us doesn't mean it's right for others. Each to their own. smile

Ophuchi Tue 26-Jul-11 08:23:14

Thank you very much for the information, dietstarts. I think perhaps she's just a bit of an early starter but we'll have to wait and see. smile

Chundle Tue 26-Jul-11 14:06:41

With regard to being stay at home mum I have 2 dds. Dd1 did everything early and read fluently before starting nursery at 3 however I worked fulltime. Dd2 I am stay at home mum an she is speech delayed and has trouble with behaviour and other issues so I guess doesn't always work out the way you expect.
Maybe look into hyperlexia just to be on safe side 16 months very young to be reading but she may just be very early starter

Ophuchi Tue 26-Jul-11 14:46:01

Thanks Chundle. I did look at the symptoms of hyperlexia today however they don't really tie with DD. She doesn't have trouble understanding speech and certainly has no trouble talking.

She doesn't seem obsessed or fixated with numbers and letters - I haven't actually pointed out individual letters to her as I thought she was too young for that sort or thing. She does however recognise which numbers are which from a talking book she got for her birthday. She just takes a lot of enjoyment out of story times and seems to have memorised the shape of some words. Socially she can be a little shy if she doesn't know someone but I don't think that's anything to worry about.

We're just going to carry on doing what we do and not panic if confronted with the same situation again. It's just not very nice when somebody tells you they think there's something wrong with your child.

mummy2aisha Tue 26-Jul-11 15:02:43

my 23 month says a few words but doesnt put sentences together your 16 month is gifted ingore the mum of five and go and search mensa for gifted children and Im not being flipent dont waste her talent.

Ophuchi Tue 26-Jul-11 16:06:21

Don't worry mummy2aisha, I intend to take a great interest in her education as she learns things at her own pace. I do think she is an early developer and will most likely level out at 5 or 6 as other posters say, however if this is not the case we will access resources for gifted children. We, like every other family, just want to do what's best for our child.

aquafunf Tue 26-Jul-11 17:21:23

OP- my eldest sounds a little like yours- at 18 months she could speak in proper sentences, argue the toss with adults and recognised some words. i didnt realise that this was that early as i didnt know anyone with kids. fast forward 14.5 years and she is still bright but the laziest person i know so will prob end up with average GCSEs.

Ophuchi Tue 26-Jul-11 18:42:34

Thanks aquafunf. Loads of people have posted to say their kids were the same - it's very reassuring from a first time mum's point of view. I don't go to any toddler groups or anything like that so maybe if I did I'd meet a lot more mums with similar children.

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 12:34:34

Just a little update.

I was visiting my GP today regarding a matter refering to the miscarriage I mentioned earlier and had to take DD along with me as I am on my own here. (Family all live some distance away and friends all at work)

The GP picked up immediately on DD's early speech and understanding. (DD told GP her name and how old she was when asked) I explained about the counting objects and recognising words then expressed my concern about possible autism and/or hyperlexia.

In the GP's opinion DD doesn't appear to be suffering from autism or hyperlexia, however may be a gifted child. I am aware she is most likely at the extreme end of early development and would prefer if this were the case for her sake but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice and share experiences and apologies to those who took offence to the nature of my post.

Ophuchi I have quite a mix of children so I have ds 22 who I told you about who is gifted and who at 15 months astounded the GP by his vocabulary and comprehension.(He told him we were off on holiday at the weekend where we'd go and what he hoped to do there) Then I have ds 16 who has autism and had hyperlexia in so far as he taught himself to read at two and could read a newspaper at three. The two ds's are very different. My older ds read early as well but he read because he wanted to know the stories and facts the younger one read because he liked letters and words and read whatever came to hand to give him his fix rather than the content.If dd enjoys social interactin and can hold a conversation then I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about tbh. With my younger at that age he'd be oblivious to the GP because he'd be reading a book or magazine that he'd grabbed from the waiting room.HTH

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 14:15:00

Thanks insanityscatching. DD enjoys stories and gets a lot out of them but she definately doesn't have a fixation with letters and numbers. She's quite happy to do her jigsaw puzzles, build towers and knock them down, play with her toy animals or chase a ball around.

She does love social interaction and conversation and seems a wee bit confused when other toddlers don't talk to her, poor thing.

She picked out another 4 words this morning but I think she must be memorising the shape of them as if they were pictures if that makes sense? Anyway, I don't want to jump the gun and call her 'gifted' as it's far too young to tell imo. I do think she's just an early starter with an exceptionally good memory.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 27-Jul-11 14:25:52

Can I just say, Ophuchi, that I think you sound lovely! You've taken all the negative posts with really good grace. Trouble is, when texting, emailing, posting, whatever, you just don't "get it" when someone is having a gentle dig and something which is meant to sound a little tongue in cheek can sound rather harsh. I think you're very gracious and hope you enjoy your little girl and have another baby very soon!

Yes mine learnt to read by memorising the shape of the words and not the individual letters fortunately they were in school pre phonics so they never had to relearn the phonics way.
I didn't even realise ds was gifted tbh until his teacher at the nursery attached to the school pounced on me and said "he reads and writes and does sums, who has taught him? Which nursery did he go to?"
I think she was quite astonished to learn he had never been anywhere but home and the vast majority of things he taught himselfgrin
He wasn't properly assessed until he was 11 though when his IQ was found to be in the top 0.1% of the population and they only put him forward for assessment after he won an inter school maths challenge beating pupils 6 years older than he was and he became very disruptive using his talents to affect the running of the school (at one point I feared he'd become a criminal mastermindgrin
Just enjoy her, the years fly by you know and she'll be grown up before you know it.

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 14:50:42

Thank you very much TheReturnoftheSmartArse. I was brought up in a poor family on a drug-ridden council estate and have found that good manners will get you far in life.

Yes I know, sometimes tone does get lost in text and I suppose I must have sounded like I was saying "Look at me - aren't I a great mummy and aren't my mates' kids dim" to some folk who read it the wrong way when in fact I'm just a first time mum who's pretty clueless and lacking a bit of confidence. I must say that the majority of posts were useful and positive and I am very grateful to all of you who took the time to reassure me.

I will be sure to post if baby 2 should arrive but in the mean time I'll count my blessings. smile

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 15:00:19

Thanks Insanity - I bet you're pleased he didn't take the criminal mastermind route! I can't imagine how many questions you must have had to answer as his mum.

Er...I don't even know what phonics are. I think I've got a lot to learn smile

1944girl Wed 27-Jul-11 15:15:05

My DS1 was the same as OPs child at that age -honest.
He is now 41, living apart from us, barely contacts us has a personality disorder and works as a cleaner in a library.We still love him though.
I was very very smug about him as a baby.Have learnt my lesson.

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 15:24:27

1944girl - I'm very sorry for your son's troubles. I'm sure all mothers love their children no matter what.

I would like to think I'm not smug about DD. I don't take her to toddler groups because I would feel awkward.

tiggyhop Wed 27-Jul-11 15:24:54

Ophuci - I think you're great. I honestly cannot remember what mine (now aged 8,7 and 6) were doing at 16 months as it's all a blur (and continues to be!).

One didn't read (not a word) till 6.5, but then finished all the Harry Potters in the following 6 months - another one taught himself to read before he was 4. The 3rd is definitely looking at the criminal mastermind route and so far is resisting any formal learning whatsoever....It amazes me how different everyone is.

Best of luck with it all. What's so fascinating is looking ahead to wonder where they will all end up...

dikkertjedap Wed 27-Jul-11 15:55:34

Have you thought about teaching your daughter another language? This might be a good time to start, as she is likely to learn really quickly. Don't know where you are, but if you are in/near London then there will be several mother and toddler groups for French/German/Italian/Spanish speakers etc. Good luck.

Tiggy you have my sympathies with the criminal mastermind one because they are hard work when they use their talents for mischief.
Ds was an impossible devil aged 11 to 18 outside of the house but a delight in it.
Sitting in the headmaster's office week in week out trying to keep a straight face as the latest scam was revealed (the school were obviously far less bright than ds) is something I wouldn't wish on anybody.
Some of his more memorable ones were hacking the school system and giving his mates free school meals, setting up an ebay account for the IT teacher putting his car on and giving the school number to phone at anytime (tell the receptionist it's urgent family illness), stealing positive referral slips and put them in the register so his class got the term rewards at the same time writing the slips in such a way that the form tutor believed the french teacher fancied him.
The list was endless so much so he'd get standing ovations as he swaggered into assembly when the latest had been discovered because he'd get bored and push it to the limit.

mistlethrush Wed 27-Jul-11 16:49:31

insanity, I am dreading the thought that I might have one of those... He didn't walk until he was 14.5mo - but he was running the following day - around the kitchen table at fairly high speed.

I used to get the 'at this age your child should know x words' and worry that he didn't know that many - then I'd start a list and decide I didn't have to worry after all.

Complete sponge in terms of information.

Going into Yr2 next year - hope school will start engaging his attention slightly more, otherwise we're going to have problems.

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 27-Jul-11 16:51:48

i think you'd know if she had autism.

My DD did do all these things and IS autistic (she regressed) but had other signs.

I did them too (read by age 2 etc) and am not autistic.

tiggyhop Wed 27-Jul-11 16:54:41

Insanity that is hilarious (from an outsider's point of view, probably not quite so funny for you!). What's he doing now?

Mistle - none of mine said a word (I don't think, as I say, it's all a blur) until well over 2. DS walked at 16 months (I hadn't got him any shoes, my mum bought him some and he walked the next day...).

OP - If you want to go to Toddler Groups take her! She is who she is, no need to feel awkward.

mistlethrush Wed 27-Jul-11 17:00:17

I sometimes wish Ds would be slightly less voluble.... He can talk and talk and talk and talk, and hold court on lots of unusual subjects and come up with lots of interesting facts and 'did you know' and general gossip (in between the karate kicks, hugs, stretches, high fives and running about (actually he can talk and do most of those things at the same time) and he's willing to share all his knowledge with anyone that will listen, including complete strangers and it never stops until he goes to bed!!!!

(I know that was a long sentence, but that's what its like in our house from 6.30am (on a good day) until 7.30pm)(at which point DH and I don't say anything for a while)

Tiggy He has a senior position in Local Government and is tipped for the top. He gives presentations to headteachers and governors because his department is school support. He speaks to his old school through his employment and the first response is always "you aren't THE (name), our old pupil are you?" grin He is a lovely lad and always was at home but as he told his headteacher "my mum's not stupid I wouldn't get away with it if I tried half of this at home" wink

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 17:48:55

Thank you Tiggy, your kids sound fantastic smile

Dikkertjedap - thanks for the suggestion. We are in Scotland but I'm sure I've seen French classes for little ones advertised in the next town. I don't have more than a rudimentary grasp of German myself - enough to book a hotel and order a beer grin but could teach her that later if she asks! Her dad knows a wee bit of Italian.

Insanity - I think you son's brilliant, you've got to love a bit of thinking outside the box.

Thank you all for your replies - went out to enjoy the sunshine and came in to heaps of posts smile

I don't really have the confidence to do toddler groups - I'm kinda scared of the other mums - is that pathetic?

No of course not if you don't feel comfortable there then they are definitely not obligatory! I just meant that if you wanted to go but felt awkward just because of her talking you should not worry and go.

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 20:49:45

Thanks pommedechocolat smile I feel a bit awkward because of all the things she does when I know there'll be other mums worried because their little ones haven't started to talk etc. and I'm worried that other people might treat her as older than she is.

I also feel that I really wouldn't fit in. I am a working class kid done good if you like and now live in an area where many of the 'stay-at-home' mums I know who attend the group have nursery places for their children purely so they can saunter off to the gym and get their nails painted uninhibited. I'm not really into that.

My dd is quite tall and is quite forward physically and I worry the same about being treated like she's older. She has also started to hit other toddlers so I am avoiding groups too currently!
Don't judge a book by its cover and all that with regards to the other mums though, you never know.

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:55

Believe me I don't fit in with the ones I know who go (have spoken to them in the park a few times!) They're very much into keeping up with the Jones's, fashion, being unhealthily skinny and all sorts of other things I have no interest in.

But that's not to say that there might not be other mums there with whom I'll have more in common. I don't judge books by their covers - that's why I married DH :O

Ophuchi Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:54

That's meant to be a funny grin - oops didn't work!

Grizzy Mon 29-Aug-11 19:57:01

Hi Ophuchi

After you answered my post, I got curious about yours. Wow your little one does sound really advanced. Have you started to worry about educational options yet? I was considering having my little one assessed to get some advice on how best to keep her stimulated. I've seen really bright kids get very bored, disruptive and rebellious at school when under stimulated which is a real shame.

Ophuchi Tue 30-Aug-11 09:23:13

I do see where you're coming from, Grizzy. I was a bright kid who gave up on education about age 13 primarily because my parents showed no interest (not their fault, they both suffered mental illnesses) I used to play truant so I could work (underage, illegally) and put food on the table. That was the priority at the time.

I want a better life for my daughter. We will take a lot of interest in her education and do our utmost to support her through school. I think for the moment though, in our case, it's too early for any assesments (she's almost 18 months old now). Many people here have said they had similar toddlers who are now doing very well at school but not out of the ordinary iyswim.

DD is a very cheerful, loving child - always ready with a kiss and a cuddle - so just now we're satisfied that she's happy.

MummyNic Tue 30-Aug-11 11:10:07

Ophuchi I echo the responses to enjoy your little girl, it'd be hard not to be proud of her progress - she sounds lovely. My DS has been very physical, I wouldn't class him as a slow talker but he had 5 words when the average was 10 etc. At 2.5 he talks amazingly well - I read every night to him too. In fact, I preferred it when he was concentrating on the physical elements - the mental elements have resulted in a very willful little man who causes many laughs but also a fair bit of hair pulling
I wouldn't write off baby groups, try each one at least twice (the nice people might be on holiday!). I tried a few and there was always a different mix of people - your HV might be able to suggest one that has more 'normal' mums wink
Insanity - you sound like you're descibing me when you refer to you DS. My mum used to be called to primary school on a weekly basis... Turns out I was bored.
I was a slow walker & slow talker but when I got my fat arse off the floor I walked properly and ran straight away, when I could finally be arsed to talk I spoke in long, grammitically correct sentances. I went on to become superb at maths & science. I completed all primary school maths in 1.5 school years. To stop me being bored they had to give me senior school maths and I also taught fellow class mates (at age 7!!)
But I was also a lazy sod (still am). I found school to be incredibally easy and had a photgraphic memory (perhaps this bright little girl has?) so flew through my exams without much effort.
I am now an accountant for a Government Department. I love my job, I'm still lazy, and I adore maths. I probably could have been a younger Carol Voderman but I'd be too lazy to put all that make up on for the TV shows grin.
IMO I think your little girl will be intelligent, don't push her too hard but watch out for boredom at school - if she plays up it's because she needs greater challenges in the classroom.
I was the first female pupil at my primary school to be put forward for the local Public School, I won one of only 2 scolarships available (highest score in the 11+)and the only one who came from a state funded primary school (the rest went to private Prep Schools)

MummyNic Tue 30-Aug-11 11:11:22

Oh, and most importantly, I forgot to say that I'm really sorry for your mc. I hope you and your DH are recovering well.

Ophuchi Tue 30-Aug-11 13:00:59

Thanks Mummynic. I'm very happy to tell you that I'm six weeks pregnant now smile

I'll maybe ask the HV at her 18 month check up about different baby groups.

mrsbaffled Wed 31-Aug-11 18:01:20

Hello Ophuchi glad to hear your happy news!

I just wanted to say that your DC sounds a lovely bright child. My DS(now 7) was also speaking in full sentences and counting at a similar age. He couldn't read, though and it now turns out he may be dyslexic and has just been diagnosed with vision problems, which I think stopped him being interested in reading and writing, and otherwise might have been doing the same as your DC.

To the point....don't push your child further than he wants to go. Be led by him. I had extremely high hope for DS (the words 'gifted' crossed my mind), but he is much more like other children now than he was at 16 months when he was light-years ahead (not physically though). He is 'able' (school's words), but I wouldn't call him gifted.

Can i encourage you to get out to baby/toddler groups, though? i set one up 4 years ago because i found them so beneficial for me as a SAHM. I needed interaction with grown-ups just to keep my sanity! You can google them. Local churches often run lovely groups, as do Surestart.

RosemaryandThyme Wed 31-Aug-11 18:49:02

Hi just thought I'd mention that your HV and GP can refer you child for a Guthri Assessment - I appreciate at the moment you are not wanting her assessed, but if ever you feel you as parents would benefit from knowing how she is getting along compared to other children the same age.
It is an intensive assessment, lasting up to three hours (of literally testing all areas of both physical and mental development to the point of failure to achieve).
You are provided with a detailed report regarding all areas of development and support systems for any areas that are outside of the expected range.
Support is available for both under and over-performance.
There is lots of support available for parents with bright children, exceptionally bright children are no different from any other special needs children.

Ophuchi Wed 31-Aug-11 18:52:29

Thank you mrsbaffled. Don't worry, I've no intention of becoming a pushy mum. I'll just carry on as I'm doing, letting her discover things at her own pace.

As I said before, I don't expect that she's gifted only that she's an early developer. We will be doing our best to support her at school no matter how able she is.

I am going to be meeting up with some mums (from the antenatal class we attended) next week whom I haven't seen for 10 months so I'm sure one of them will be able to point us to the right group as they are all very nice people.

Ophuchi Wed 31-Aug-11 18:56:01

Thank you RosemaryandThyme, I will bear that in mind for the future if we come to feel it is necessary. For now I think she is far too young to be assessed.

WhiffOfBath Wed 31-Aug-11 19:07:51

Ophuchi, my first child did all that and far more at that age, and is still astonishingly ahead of his peers now (he's nine). He is off the scale in all the NFER tests (his school does them annually for all the children; his scores are apparently 'impossible' - though that just tells me that the tests aren't suitably stretching at the top end). He walked at ten months and has several other extraordinary gifts - and he has Aspergers, and has zero social skills.

My other child developed in a textbook type way - again, an early walker, but otherwise average. She has lots of friends and is utterly happy in her own skin.

I am a SAHM and have been ever since my first one was born.

Not quite sure what my point is, other than the usual one about all children develop at their own rate. Some just are brighter than others; your DD may well be among them, and may keep up her unusually fast rate of progress. Some are spectacularly bright and dysfunctional with it (I hope your DD is not among them, as it is no joke), and cost you a fortune in school fees because no state school can offer an education for thirteen-year-olds to a Reception aged child. sad

Ophuchi Wed 31-Aug-11 20:11:06

Thanks for your reply Whiffofbath. DD isn't doing any more than I described, she recognises more words than in my OP now she's almost 18 months but that's all. She doesn't seem to have any problems with social skills so far and our GP hasn't picked up on anything so hopefully she is just a bright toddler but we'll have to wait and see how the future pans out.

Here's hoping DC2 is perfectly average smile

electra Wed 31-Aug-11 20:16:49

I laughed and laughed at 'magical fanny' grin

But seriously there is no doubt that your daughter is very unusual and it's understandable you'd have concerns about her because her life will be different from other kids at school at least and she may get bored as others have said.

Ophuchi Wed 31-Aug-11 20:21:11

Yes, the 'magical fanny' was brilliant, wasn't it - I loved that one myself! I only hope she will be happy. I think that's all any mother wants for her child.

WhiffOfBath Wed 31-Aug-11 20:44:12

I'm not so sure that happiness is all that any mother wants for her child. Yes, of course I want mine to be happy - but if at 18, they say that living with a drug-dealer is what makes them happy, then I would decidedly not want them to be 'happy'.

I think I do want mine to be happy in their own skins (DS isn't). But I also want them to be considerate of other people (even if that means they might be unhappy themselves at some point) and to make something of whatever personality/ability/talents they might have. Beyond that, I want them to be decent, moral, responsible people, whether they be bin-men or neuroscientists.

But I am waffling. Average is a lot of fun. Brilliant isn't. IME, anyway.

Ophuchi Wed 31-Aug-11 21:51:42

You're right of course, WhiffOfBath. I was oversimplifying things there.

WhiffOfBath Wed 31-Aug-11 22:18:03

Yes, I'm sorry, I was just waffling thinking aloud!

BohicaWankSock Wed 31-Aug-11 22:24:08

Congrats on your good news!

My daughter was exactly the same at that age, she's a fucking nightmare teenager now but hey ho - happy days!

exoticfruits Wed 31-Aug-11 22:38:11

Schools can cope with bright DCs-they do actually like them!

exoticfruits Wed 31-Aug-11 22:39:53

She is very young-wait and see -it is early days. There will be other DCs who can do similar.

MummyNic Thu 01-Sep-11 10:00:44

WOnderful news that you are 6 weeks. Fingers & toes are firmly crossed for safe pregnancy for you both.
Look after yourself and I am proud of the way you handled the negative posts at the beginning, thankfully they have now been far outweighed by us possitive people grin
Cherish your lovely family xxx

cjn27b Thu 01-Sep-11 11:33:23

ophuchi you might want to google 'hyperlexia' (I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if someone has already mentioned this).

Ophuchi Thu 01-Sep-11 12:30:48

Thank you MummyNic, everything's still fine at the moment so we're hoping it will all go to plan this time. There are lots of lovely, helpful people here. Thanks to you all.

cjn27b - We have spoken about hyperlexia earlier in the thread. She doesn't appear to have it according to our GP. Thanks anyway.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 12:40:31

I wondered if your friend is thinking that your DD might have savant syndrome?

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 14:07:36

Hi WhoseGotMyEyebrows. I just googled savant syndrome as I wasn't aware of the condition. DD doesn't appear to have any mental or physical disabilities which go hand in hand with savant syndrome.

Physically she has come on in leaps and bounds in the last couple of months, climbing up ladders in the park etc.

As it turns out my friend was worried that my daughter had Autism after she heard her count out twenty-odd 'swings' in the park as she felt that was very unusual for a 16 month old having had 5 children herself. Our GP doesn't think this is the case.

I've never mentioned the reading to anyone in real life bar DH and grandparents who have noticed as I gathered it was a bit out of the ordinary. You mentioned on another thread that you have friends whose children are doing the same though, and others have said this too, so perhaps she's not that unusual after all smile

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 14:30:10

Yes that's what I thought - that she would think she was Autistic seeing as Autism and Savantism come together (ie. like "Rainman"). I don't think there is any link with physical abilities at all but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying your DD has this by the way, just what you friend might be thinking. Don't think ASD can be diagnosed until they are 3ish (again could be wrong)

You mentioned on another thread that you have friends whose children are doing the same though - Did I?

A bit about it . . .

Savant syndrome, sometimes referred to as savantism, is a rare condition in which people with developmental disorders have one or more areas of expertise, ability, or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations. Although not a recognized medical diagnosis, researcher Darold Treffert says the condition may be either genetic or acquired.

According to Treffert, about half of all people with savant syndrome have autistic disorder, while the other half have another developmental disability, mental retardation, brain injury or disease. He says, "... not all autistic people have savant syndrome and not all people with savant syndrome have autistic disorder". Other researchers state that autistic traits and savant skills may be linked, or have challenged conclusions about savant syndrome as being based on information not verified independently.

Though it is even rarer than the savant condition itself, some savants have no apparent abnormalities other than their unique abilities. This does not mean that these abilities weren't triggered by a brain dysfunction of some sort but does temper the theory that all savants are disabled and that some sort of trade-off is required.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome for more info

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 14:42:49

Thanks eyebrows, that's very interesting. Yes, I'm sure your right about ASD diagnosis - our GP said that she wasn't displaying traits typical of Autism. It's not something we've ruled out completely, our GP just thinks it's unlikely looking at her now.

I'm sorry, perhaps I've gotten my wires crossed there, I thought you'd heard of friends' children reading early too. It was probably somebody else.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 14:50:00

I think we spoke on another thread where you said your DD knows 200 words or something, that might be where you recognise my name from. I do know some that read early, but not that early.

Does she recognise the words independently or from her favourite books? I'm wondering if she might have an amazing memory?

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 14:56:53

Yes, she just picks them out when we're looking at stories. She can pick words she knows out of a new story. I've lost count of how many she recognises now but it'd be a couple of hundred anyway.

She can tell me about things that happened a few weeks ago too, I don't know if that's normal or not though but she certainly has a good memory!

Wimminsinit Tue 27-Sep-11 15:00:57

Ophuchi, I just thought I'd point out that people don't 'suffer' from autism, nor are autism and 'giftedness' mutually exclusive.

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 15:03:53

I'm very sorry Wimminsinit, I didn't mean to offend. I'll take care not to use that expression again in future.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 15:04:42

It could be an exceptional memory as she could be memorising the word shapes and recognising them in different books. I assume she doesn't know her individual letter sounds?

My DD has a really good memory but not for words, more for tiny detail. It blows my mind! Her dad was the same and still is.

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 15:13:36

Yes, it's definately the shapes of the words she's recognising. She knows the names of letters now (because she asked) but not the sounds they make. I'll explain about that when she asks which I'm sure she will at some point before school.

I know how you feel - I am the proverbial goldfish so DD must take after her father!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 15:18:31

Did you know that there is a gifted and talented section on here?

I guess seeing as she is memorising then you just need to make sure that the comprehension isn't missed out later which is very important.

Someone was also telling me the other day that the stage in Reception when they read the books without words (they give them out for the first few weeks) are important and not to be missed even if they can read. can't remember exactly why, some sort of stage that they shouldn't miss. Perhaps that's for comprehension as well?

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 15:24:59

I am aware of the G and T section now, but as DD is only 18 months old I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself. Yes, I'll have to make sure to keep on top of the comprehension side later - doesn't do any good being able to read if you can't understand what it means.

We are in Scotland where she will go in to primary one at 5 and a half. She does love to talk about the pictures in books already though, so I'm sure that won't be a problem. Thanks for the advice.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Tue 27-Sep-11 15:25:09

Meant to say my DD was speaking at the same age and walked later too. I think she walked at 14 months which was a lot later then the other babies I knew but was speaking very accurately. Her pronunciation was perfect!

Ophuchi Tue 27-Sep-11 15:27:44

Yes, our DDs are very similar. Perfect pronuciation here too albeit with a Scots accent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now