When / how do you teach little boys to wee-wee through their flies?

(13 Posts)
Meglet Mon 18-Apr-11 12:36:27

DS is 4.5 and still pulls his trousers down to stand up and wee (and he does it quite well). I've realised that men just unbutton their flies to wee so I'd better teach him, although I'm not sure his fingers will undo / do up the button as his trouser buttons are quite tight.

What age did you teach your DS to do it? I assume I need to teach him before he starts school in the autumn.

There aren't any men that can help either (he doesn't see his dad and we aren't close to any male relatives) so DS can't watch how it's done.

Seona1973 Mon 18-Apr-11 13:15:50

I would just let him continue to pull his pants and trousers down. My 7 year old dd still finds it hard to do buttons/zips on jeans so I wouldnt expect a 4 year old to manage it without help. My ds also starts school this year and I wont be trying to change the way he does a pee.

Meglet Mon 18-Apr-11 20:53:58

ah, thank you smile. It does look like a fiddly thing to have to learn, never seen it mentioned in any books at all.

Prunnhilda Mon 18-Apr-11 20:56:15

I talked to ds (who's 7) about this the other day, as he has just got some boxers with a front flap. He says that wouldn't go down well in the infants' loos grin
I did not know this, but the boys tend to learn from each other in the school toilets. He was taught not to drop his kecks to his ankles in week one [snort]

Chundle Mon 18-Apr-11 21:09:29

School trousers tend to have a zip fly so could he just unzip get it out (so to speak) do the business and zip up again? No need to undo top button I don't think. Could you practise on a pair of trousers with a zip in time for school? My dds friend is a boy and he's 7 and he often comes to play and he still drops his trousers to wee - I know because he leaves bathroom door wise open! Typical lad!

EasterChickAndRabbitKurri Mon 18-Apr-11 21:14:32

I'd let him carry on pulling down his trousers until he's older, little boys trying to stuff their willies back in and do up a zip in quick succession is a recipe for disaster and a trip to a and e. IME.

noko Mon 18-Apr-11 21:31:02

my ds will also start reception in september, he is 4.4. he just pull his trousers down. i think it best to let them grow up a little before trying to show them how to do it.

PigeonPie Mon 18-Apr-11 21:38:00

It's all very well just to undo the trousers but I haven't come across pants for this age with openings for accessibility. Which, I would have thought, was a recipe for disaster.

Let him carry on as he is till he gets the right pants!

WhipMeIndiana Mon 18-Apr-11 21:39:32

my 2 yo sits down to pee, dont wnat him standing up yet!

Meglet Mon 18-Apr-11 21:45:22

pigeon OMG I totally forgot they need 'holes' in their pants to do it properly blush. Fat lot of good I would be trying to teach him without the correct undies.

Lindax Mon 18-Apr-11 21:57:32

ds pulled his trousers down in P1 (Scotland) showing off his bum, but in P2 some P3's were telling him it was sexy (he says in a jokey non threatening way) - since that day he's used his zip in school/public toilets.

He also changed from boxers to briefs as it was easier for him to just push the brief down for access than try to get through the opening of his boxers.

he never did ask me what sexy means..........

duckypoo Mon 18-Apr-11 22:04:17

ds1 (4) tends to just hoik down his trousers/briefs a little bit, he doesn't pull them down enough to expose his bum iyswim, he wears school trousers and pretty sure they don't even have a zip.

smokinaces Mon 18-Apr-11 22:13:29

DS1 is nearly 5 and been in school since September and still pushes his trousers to the floor to pee! But then again, in his infants they have their own toilet for each room, so he doesnt mix with the bigger kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now