what age did u take stabilisers off bike?

(29 Posts)
abcdefghijk Tue 22-Mar-11 17:38:38

ds(5) is confident riding bike now and im thinking about taking the stabilisers off.just worried it will knock his confidence if he not ready?will he pick up how to balance easily enough at this age?or too young?ive really not got a clue

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Fri 02-Nov-12 18:36:58

4 and 4 here. ds (5) still needs a push to get going though.

cantpooinpeace Fri 02-Nov-12 18:40:08

My 5 year old DD is not letting go of her stabilisers any time sure - sheer panic without them!

My DS who is 3.5 has just mastered a bike without stabilisers straight off. He had had a balance bike for approx 6 months though & he went everywhere on it - clearly its done his balance the world of good! grin

bitsofmeworkjustfine Fri 02-Nov-12 18:42:23

we just siad to DD, dont worry about the pedals, just get your balance. she tried it a couple of times and her feet naturally went to the pedals, she took it from there!

its not an age thing its an ability thing.

letsgomaths Sat 17-Nov-12 18:23:29

Speaking for myself - I learned at age 6; I did have stabilisers which were fitted to a more "adult" bike, and as such caused the bike to rock a lot. My parents took the view that stabilisers are counter productive, and my brother learned without using them at all (but being "held" by parents).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now