5 year old son keeps crying!!!

(6 Posts)
worldsgreatestkids Mon 14-Mar-11 12:18:00

My five year old son cries for no reason sometimes. However I don't know how to deal with it incase there is some reason that I'm missing! There is no rhyme or reason to it. I know he is not at any harm and the teachers says he's a great pupil and has friends although he can be weepy in the class too. There is no pattern where I think oh thats it. I have tried asking him if he is ok and reassuring him. I have tried telling him off for silly tears, now I think I need to ignore him. Although as I say I'm scared that he'll think it's not ok to have feelings then!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

FaronYoung Mon 14-Mar-11 15:09:26

My DS1 (6) is like this. Cries at the slightest thing and many times in a day. I have come to the conclusion that he is just very sensitive. I try hard not to get exasperated - "what are you crying about now?!" but it is hard.

I try to find out if he has hurt himself or if it is his feelings that are making him cry. I give him a big cuddle and tell him I love him and then leave him to it.

Rachlou31 Mon 14-Mar-11 20:54:23

Hi my 4 1/2 year old daughter has started doing this too but not at school. I'm unsure why but I believe she's getting frustrated with all the rules since she started school. Her teachers say she's at the top for behaviour learning and people skills and very polite at school. At home she's a nightmare.
Before she started school we didn't really have a routine in the day and just took each day as it came. This is the only thing I can think of that's effecting her. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Niquieboo Mon 11-Jun-12 02:29:28

My son just started this and I read that you shouldn't always cuddle them. With me it freaked me out the first time because it was during nap time and he couldn't tell me what was wrong. He has always been a sensitive kid crying for small things sad faces when I tell him no about some things little things like that irritate me because its all the time. Every where I move he's right behind me. Well tonight i put him down for bed which he's had the same bed time since he was a baby, he's screaming crying on the top of his lungs i go in there with my heart pounding I'm freaked out and he can't tell me all he says is that he feels bad and he wants me but really all this. I just don't know what to do I was freaked n pist all at the same time.

tvgeri Wed 13-Jun-12 15:10:32

Okay, the same thing has begun with my 5 1/2 year old. What's strange is that she is fine one moment and then the next she is inconsolably crying. She doesn't know why. I am getting so worried. My husband is making an appointment for her. It is as if all of a sudden, something physically (whether its hormonal or a growth spurt) has happened. But it is so difficult. I agree with "Nic" I vaccalite between being genuinely concerned and then extremely frustrated. I have noticed her eating habits have changed. She eats considerably less. This all began three days ago out of the blue. She has these crying bouts about 4-5 times a day. Also she is so clingy to her father. She doesn't want him to go to work, she wants him home early. She cries for him in the morning when he leaves, etc. It is definitely a separation anxiety. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

misstrunchball Thu 14-Jun-12 21:23:27

I remember my dd going through this about the same age - she is now 11 and from what I remember it's them becoming aware of their own and others around them mortality and such like. They can't say why they are crying but the do grow out of it. I just used to give her a quick cuddle and say 'I'm here if you need me' and reassure her that I always would be. I did used to get angry when it first started but once I realised what it was became more patient and after a while it stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now