Will my baby ever sleep through the night?

(43 Posts)
mookymim Tue 08-Mar-11 18:48:03

Hi everyone, I'm new on here so bear with me if I don't get things quite right
I'm looking for advice and/or reassurance, my DS is 6 months old and just won't sleep through the night, I started weaning him at 21 weeks thinking this might help him sleep (he was also showing signs of being interested) but it hasn't changed anything.

He goes to sleep at 8.00pm wakes at 1am then 3-4am then again at 6.30am at this point he is usually wide awake. It's like having a new born again, I'm getting really down with sleep deprivation, it makes me feel miserable through the day and as a result can't enjoy my little one as I'd like. I feel like I'm a walking zombie. Other mothers talk of how their babies are sleeping through (even at a younger age).

He is still currently still in our room with us, I'm wondering if moving the cot to the nursery would improve things, we plan to do that this weekend. Has anyone else got a newborn 6 month old!

(confused) xx

tiktok Wed 09-Mar-11 14:09:13

This isn't a sleep/waking problem.

This is a confidence problem - it will help to address the comments of people who undermine you by saying what your baby 'should' be doing in a way that gives you the upper hand, and which demonstrates your understanding of your baby's normal sleeping and waking pattern and your acceptance of this.

It is usually easier to change yourself in this way - 'cos you are an adult and can think logically and decide to change your behaviour - than it is to change your baby

There's a great phrase often suggested on Mumsnet for people who make unwanted comments - you could try it:

Unhelpful relative: Is he still waking up? Honestly, I don't know why you put up with it....he should be going through by now. You'll have to get a grip!

Mooky: Gosh - that sounded a bit rude and critical of me. Did you mean it to come across like that? BabyMooky's perfectly normal, you know!

MigGril Wed 09-Mar-11 14:18:34

I had a DD who was still doing that at 6months, and I now know many other mum's who have had similar experances. It's quit normal and nothing that you are doing wrong.

Tiktok is right it's better to change our thinking on this then to change a baby who's doing something completly normal.

I have a MIL who for months went on at me that DH slept through at 10week's making me feel bad, then one day out of the blue when DD was around 12months and still waking, she said oh SIL was just the same when she was a baby. So other people can be quit selective in what they tell us. Some of the other mum's might not be being completly honist either.

I think you have to bear in mind as well that different people mean such radically different things by "sleeping through" that it's not worth worrying about who is sleeping through and who isn't. For example I'd say mine didn't because she doesn't sleep from her bedtime until my preferred getting up time, whereas other people would describe her as "sleeping through" because she does sleep for a five hour stretch in the course of the night.

emsyj Wed 09-Mar-11 19:38:07

I feel your pain OP. Would agree that this is all very very normal and you may find things improve a lot in another couple of months as solids become more established.

My DD is now 9.5 months and still wakes. I remember at the 7 month stage I just felt like curling into a little ball and dying I was so tired. I have bf from birth and was alone with DD at night as DH has a long drive to work and I was terrified he would have an accident if he was woken by the baby every 2 hours.

But after 7 months of doing all of the night wakings, I just cracked and ended up taking DD to DH in the spare room in tears at 3am and told him I couldn't cope any more, so he took her for the rest of the night and now has her regularly at weekends so that I can have a proper sleep.

Could you do this? I found that DD was feeding at night because it was there and for comfort, not because she really needed it. If she spends the night with DH (whilst I sleep in the spare room with my earplugs in!) she doesn't cry for milk - he finds that she wakes much less and sleeps later when I am not there. It's obviously a judgment call for you, but if you feel that your DS is getting a decent amount of food and milk during the day, could you sleep in another room with earplugs and let your OH deal with the night wakings? You may find he wakes less if you're not there, as I did with DD.

MrsMiyagi Wed 09-Mar-11 19:56:04

Welcome to MN OP!

I'm particularly glad you're here because you're the only other mum I've ever read on here saying that their baby doesn't like to be in bed with her! grin Mine hates it! Bloomin' ungrateful, aren't they? grin

mookymim My DD was the same. I remember I was so exhausted I would just cry. I also remember that I thought she would never sleep through the night. But then at 7 months she learned how to crawl and her sleeping did improve. Now at 8.5 months she's pushing herself up to standing and wants to be on her feet all day. I encourage this by taking her to soft play to tire herself out. And it really works. As does swimming. Some babies just don't feel the need to sleep but once they're mobile the body overtakes the brain and they're forced to sleep longer. Now my DD goes down at 7pm, wakes for a feed (still!) at about 10pm then that's her until 5.30-6pm. I'm delighted with this as she used to wake up every hour!

Keep the faith - I'm sure his sleeping will improve once he can do more!

bumpertobumper Wed 09-Mar-11 22:32:34

I am in a similar situation and came on MN today hoping to find a thread on this - reading your post and all the replies really helps.
I was spoilt by DS1, he went to bed very easily and only woke once from about 10 weeks (maintained the one wake until 18 months but it was regular and short so fine). Thought it was easy, i was great at this mum lark etc. Hmmm blush

DS2 has never seemed that keen on sleeping - took til 4+ months to establish a normal bedtime. he is now just coming up to 6 months, goes to bed at 7/7.30. then wakes at least twice, usually more until 11ish when i feed him before bed. Then it can be anything from two more wakes and one feed - which i consider a good night to multiple wakings, i lose count and then more feeding and co-sleeping from 4 or 5am (which he is happy with but i never sleep very well, need a bigger bed)until 7ish when DS1 comes in demanding breakfast. He will sometimes be awake for long stretches, wanting to hang out. I always thank my stars that he is not crying when awake.

I am v tired, but find it impossible to sleep during the day or go to bed early so my own fault, always been an owl.
DP is supportive, rolls over in the night and says things like 'what's going on, this is madness' which is annoying, but he does usually take the boys off in the morning until he has to leave for work which gives me another precious hour.

Good to know and remember that sleeping through for all babies is a myth.

the past couple of days DS2 has wanted to go sleep on his side, but then wakes when he rolls on to his back. I have just put him on his front for the first time - that was over an hour ago, after 20-30 min wakings since bed time tonight so seems to be doing the trick.
Any thoughts on whether it is ok to put him on his front at this age?

Anyway, must go to bed... Mooky, will think of you at 3am - we are not alone

emsyj Thu 10-Mar-11 21:25:28

I have been putting DD to sleep on her front for a couple of months now - since she was 7 months. It was like a magical cure for the unsettled evenings, the constant running up and down the stairs just stopped like a light being turned off. I felt guilty about it and I do check her very very often but I think once they are able to turn over themselves the SIDS risk for front sleeping falls away.

Bumper, have you tried wedging DS2 on his side? Sometimes I have put DD to sleep on her side (e.g. when she has had a bad cold) and I have wedged her to stop her rolling onto her back with a rolled-up cot sheet. She is now a confirmed front sleeper though.

bumper - I agree with emsyj - DD started sleeping on her side and front at about 7 months and it has helped so much with her sleeping. She no longer cries out so much during the night. I don't think she ever liked sleeping on her back because she had reflux and lying flat made it worse! I was really worried when she started sleeping that way but I did a bit of research and it's sort of okay for them to sleep that way once they have mastered rolling over I think. And DD is so much happier in her cot now.

ClodiaF Mon 06-May-13 08:44:07

Oh god, my DS (ebf) is exactly the same. 6 1/2 months, started weaning at 22 weeks and still the same 3h night waking pattern he had as a newborn. Worse still, I'm going back to work in a month. I read these posts with interest. Please post to let me know how you get on!

6 months is still very little, so don't give up hope yet! DD was 18 months before she slept through, but she got there in the end.

Eeeeeowwwfftz Mon 06-May-13 08:56:15

We're 18 months further down the line than the OP and have the same pattern of night wakings. If I knew when it was going to end I'd be able to deal with it a lot better.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 06-May-13 08:58:22

I think your baby sounds totally normal for a 6 month old - and could be doing a lot worse! My nearly 7-month old went to sleep at 6.30 last night, woke 2/3 times within the hour, then at 10.30-11.30, then at 2.00 and wouldn't settle in his cot for more than 20 mins until 5am, when he finally went back to sleep for a whole hour. A normal night for us sadly!

The no cry sleep solution book is very useful though, lots of techniques to reduce wake-ups etc (no success for us yet though!)

Debs3013 Mon 06-May-13 09:10:20

You're not alone - my DS is 8 months and he's not sleeping through either. Last night down at 7pm, awake at 11pm for a feed, awake again at 2.30 for just over an hour and then up at 7am. I used to bring him in with me but now the light mornings are here, our bedroom is 'flood lit' from about 5am so it just meant very early mornings (he's got black out blinds), so I've given up on that!
I struggle during the day as he's also a 30 minute napper so no catching up when he naps - just have to go with early nights when it gets too bad.
They'll get there when they're ready - we just have to try and dig in and get through it, nothing lasts for ever. Bloody, bloody hard though!
Oh and I think we're in the majority - I'm sure the sleep through the nighters are the exception (at least that what I tell myself!).

Indith Mon 06-May-13 09:19:11

that's nit a bad sleep pattern really at that age. take a look at Isis online. infant sleep information source. it has stats for number if babies sleeping through at what age. it can be of great comfort,! for myself my eldest slept really well and did 13 hours at 6 months but my 4yo never slept and has gone straight from baby waking to waking for bad dreams, needing a drink and other small child annoyances. one of us has to go up to her most nights. my 15mo is still in my room, mostly my bed as he doesn't sleep well and I'm taking the lazy route grin grin

Purplecatti Mon 06-May-13 11:35:59

Swap your sleep for mine? Im up at 10, midnight, 2, 4 and up at 5. Baby doesn't really nap either.
My lovely hv who saw me at a low ebb last week and saw me fall down the stairs with exhausted clumsiness has referred us for sleep training. I really hope it helps.

And any person making 'helpful' comments at our end gets a snappy 'well your more than welcome to come and take over for a night' they never do!

Do ask your hv about sleep trainers though, not all areas have it but it's worth asking.

CabbageHead Mon 06-May-13 12:53:55

Yes yes no STTN here either until 2weeks before 1st birthday... Didn't do anything different just he finally worked itself out... And I Had come to terms with the fact that eh wld NEVER EVER STTN so I got such a shock! If course it didn't stay like that longer than 2weeks, but majority of the time now he will sleep thru, unless OT, teething, ,idle stones, too hot, too cold, hungry, too much noise outside, roof expanding, birds chirping... Need I go on?.... Sigh

He still fed at night too up until at least 8 months old.. Then it gradually tapered off .. I let him decide that one..

I think moving to own cot, room will help.. I climbed into DS cot other nite cos he has cold thought it might help him settle, of course he loved me being in his cot just got so excited! I've never been able to cosleep with him cos he is too active and love his own space. Even when he was really tiny he was like that hated being confined or found it too stimulating next to me. So annoying cos so much easier to bf that way by cosleeping.

I did learn to bf him or walk him in pram around the neighborhood with my own eyes closed though. (I'm not kidding!) grin

Bumpsadaisie Mon 06-May-13 14:47:52

It really is myth that children as young as yours sleep through the night. In my experience, if you don't do sleep training, they are naturally ready to sleep through somewhere between 18 mths and 2.5 yrs.

He might sleep better in his own room, and at least you will feel you get a little more space from him.

The reality though for most people with young children is that you get very poor sleep until they are really old enough to be independent, say about 3 years.

You will get used to it. And if he is in his own room you will not feel that you are on duty 24/7 quite so much.

We worked out the other night that by the time DS is three, that will equal 5.5 years of poor sleep for us (DD is older). Oh well .... soon they'll be teenagers and they won't get up in the morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now