What age do Kids start drawing people?

(16 Posts)
pigleychez Tue 23-Nov-10 22:28:55

Just curious as to what age your child starting drawing people?
I mean a face, arms, legs ect.

DD1 who is 2.3 has just bought me a picture thats shes drawn of Daddy that has quite frankly shocked me and more advanced than I though she'd be able to do.

Pic on my profile

Aww how lovely.

About 3 is the answer.

Tgger Tue 23-Nov-10 23:15:05

That's quite impressive.

Like all kiddie stuff, it depends on the kid. I think somewhere between 3 and 4 is normal so your little one is a quite precocious but doesn't mean she's going to be Picasso

Tgger Tue 23-Nov-10 23:15:49

Forgot to say DS was about 3 and 8/9 months and actually he was ahead of his peers!

festivefriedawhingesagain Tue 23-Nov-10 23:17:37

I would say that's impressive for 2.3.
DS is about 4 months younger and only draws circles or jaggy lines like pretend writing.

DD is 3.7 and suddenly her pictures are getting recognisablegrin

That's funny I came on here to say about 2.3 grin I have a similar picture of Mummy, Daddy and her saved from that age. Wonderful, isn't it. Put it in the album!

strandedatseasonsgreetings Tue 23-Nov-10 23:21:24

That's excellent for her age! Dd2 is one month of being three and she draws fairly similar to yours. However, she did draw a few random faces months ago - then stopped and went back to squiggles. I think sometimes they concentrate on other skills for a while.

Just make sure you keep these early pictures!

darksideofthemooncup Tue 23-Nov-10 23:21:57

My dd is nearly 3 and has been drawing recognisable figures since she was about 2.3, having said that she hasn't done it for a while and has lost interest in drawing recently. It is lovely when they show you a picture and tell you that it is you though!

Jareth Tue 23-Nov-10 23:25:16

Aww, that's sweet.

I think the answer is when they bloody feel like it tbh..

DS could draw a face and simple body at 2.8, but seems to have forgotten how to do it now and just scribbles (seemed to coincide with being able to do jigsaws).

Mind you, his 2.5yo cousin can draw vehicles on request (blue crayon for police car, red for fire engine - he's seriously good).

pigleychez Wed 24-Nov-10 07:44:19

Thanks for the replys,

I knew she could do circles but this took me back alittle.

Jareth- Funny you should say about Jigsaws. She has really taken off with Jigsaws and now does a 45 peice floor puzzle on her own in minutes! Have just bought her a 53 peice one for xmas!

Adair Wed 24-Nov-10 07:56:02

It is a lovely picture! And yes, pretty advanced as she has drawn the arms and legs coming out of the body (my ds same age does arms and legs coming out of face - as they are expected to for a good while. smile).

if she is anything like my little artist dd (who also was a puzzle fiend) she will not stop and you will need to buy shares in paper (also making and sticking). She does it all day!! Have pics on profile of her drawings aged 3 and a half. She is now 4 and a half and draws in perspective and from observation...

Also means you only ever need a pen and piece of paper wherever you are and they're happy grin

megonthemoon Wed 24-Nov-10 08:05:25

That's fab! My DS 2.7 has been doing people for last month or so but nowhere near this good. He knows where the bits go relative to each other but he can't really do circular shapes well yet so eyes, noses, mouths etc are all straight lines.

Children start with tadpole drawings, and then as they get more advanced they add more features. That's a good pic for a 2.3yr old.

Counting the number of features a child includes on a drawing of a person is sometimes used as an indicator of how advanced (or not) they are. It's a common test educational psychologists give as part of IQ tests on under 5s.

Annya Wed 24-Nov-10 09:21:43

I am jealous. I want a picture like that! DS - 3 and a half - can draw a face when prompted but prefers pretend writing or just scribbles. Although he did draw me a rocket blasting off on my Mother's Day card this year...

Firawla Wed 24-Nov-10 10:15:20

i would be impressed with that too! my ds 2.5 can draw faces and has for a while but not as good as that, wouldnt put a body/arms/legs etc, he normally only wants to draw vehicles really and tbh they are not that recogniseable but i can tell what they are, not sure an unknown observer would be able to iyswim

My DS has only just started drawing pictures like that - he's 4 (sob)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now