Strawberry birthmark on scalp and hair growth?

(10 Posts)
strawberryquestion Sun 31-Oct-10 21:05:49

Hi

My DS2 has a large strawberry birthmark on his scalp. Their is some hair growing on it, but very sparse and short compared to the rest of his head.

If your DC has had a strawberry on their head, has the hair grown normally? Or will my DS be left with a bald patch?

Thanks

BlueberryPancake Sun 31-Oct-10 21:19:22

A small spot (size of a 50 pence) and the hair growth on it is very fine, almost like baby hair even if he is now 5 and has thick hair. The hair is also a bit lighter in colour. But it's def not bald.

swill72 Sun 31-Oct-10 21:26:36

My DD has/had one - about the size of the top joint of my thumb and very raised and obvious. She is 3 next week and now I really have to look for it, whereas she spent most of her first year in hats! It has flattened completely and is gradually fading. Apparently it will eventually go silvery. The hair growth is thinner on it, but it is not noticeable at all. She has 3 on her torso too, and they have all flattened and are starting to fade too.

strawberryquestion Sun 31-Oct-10 22:01:16

That's interesting thanks. Can I ask, at what age did it significantly start to flatten and also, is the area of different hair obvious to look at?

Thanks

anonymosity Sun 31-Oct-10 22:04:49

If its a strawberry mark it could well fade. I know they don't always, but I had a large one on my back until the age of about 3 by which time it had just faded away. Also toddlers often have thicker and thinner areas of hair. My son has a lot on the top and back but less on the sides now and he's 4. When he was born he had the same pattern. It all sort of evens out in the end.

cakeandwine Sun 31-Oct-10 22:25:37

My dd has a strawberry on my head, about the size of small coin and her hair is growing though it well, however she does have a patch lower down her head where the hair is shorter - nothing to do with the strawberry, so it may just be baby hair growing at different rates, and coincidence that it is where you DS's strawberry is.

minervaitalica Tue 02-Nov-10 10:34:49

DD had a 50 pence strawberry mark on top of her head, raised by about 0,5cm. Almost totally faded by now (27 months), and no evidence of bald patches or the hair being different in that area. I would say it stopped growing by the time she turned 1, and started fading during her second year (slowly but surely).

HOnestly, I would not worry about haemangiomas...

cleoismycat Tue 02-Nov-10 10:38:37

My DD had strawberry marks on her forehead, scalp and back. They have all now virtually disappeared - She is two but they were almost gone at 1 1/2. One of my friends DD had a very large raised strawberry mark and this has completley flattened too and hair is all normal.

fairimum Tue 02-Nov-10 11:06:33

the hospital told us the expected DDs tohave totally faded by the time she was 7, they said over 90% were not noticiable by then

pranma Tue 02-Nov-10 17:35:30

my dgs has one on his scalp about 1cm diameter.It was very raised at first but has flattened[he is 20 months]and the hair seems to grow normally-it isnt visible unless you look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now