What cakes/biscuits for school Christmas fair?

(14 Posts)
snowgirl1 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:57:58

DD is in reception and has been sent home with a paper plate and a note asking parents to fill the plate with home-baked cakes/biscuits and to return the plate to be sold at the school Christmas fair.

So what cakes/biscuits do I bake? Cup cakes are a bit 'meh' imho - not enough cake to icing ratio. I don't want my offering to be the one that's left sitting on the table at the end of the fair being offered around for 10p!

Any suggestions of what is popular?

FawnDrench Wed 23-Nov-16 17:51:11

Rocky road - never fails!

mumonashoestring Wed 23-Nov-16 17:54:33

Iced shortbread biscuits, chocolate muffins (actually, chocolate anything grin )

wobblywonderwoman Wed 23-Nov-16 17:56:55

Really easy - top hats
Marshmallow, choc, smartie

Doje Wed 23-Nov-16 17:58:20

Millionaire's Shortbread always goes down well. And lemon cake.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 23-Nov-16 17:58:36

I plan to do iced biscuits in Xmas shapes - star etc.

I might also do rainbow unicorn bark from the Good Food magaibe. It's basically melted white chocolate that you dye different colours and swirl together on baking tray. Then chuck sprinkles etc on. Break into pieces when set. Not tried it yet but think it'd be popular.

FeelingSmurfy Wed 23-Nov-16 17:58:39

Chocolate Krispy cakes, always go first, especially with sprinkles on top

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 23-Nov-16 17:59:35

Muffins are easy as they don't need icing. Rice crispy cakes always sell out

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 23-Nov-16 18:01:15

I run cake sales at my DCs primary - the ones that sell best are fairy cakes with glace icing or a thin layer of buttercream (non-flavoured) and sprinkles, chocolate traybake, rocky road, iced biscuits, cornflake/rice krispie cakes.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 23-Nov-16 18:02:00

Oh and chocolate brownies.

mumonashoestring Wed 23-Nov-16 18:02:18

Oh, there's a Nigella recipe for a chocolate shortbread biscuit that you make in the food processor then glaze and add sprinkles to - they're easy, amazing and look fab if you put Christmassy sprinkles or glitter on them

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 23-Nov-16 21:08:13

That sounds nice smile

mumonashoestring Wed 23-Nov-16 21:14:29

Found it!

www.nigella.com/recipes/christmas-chocolate-biscuits

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 23-Nov-16 22:43:44

Ooh, I might try those, we've got a cake sale on Friday and I was just about to make my shopping list, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now