Where best to store cake if I have no airtight tin?

(11 Posts)
BristolLFR Sun 30-Oct-16 21:09:55

I've just made a cake for the bake off at work, but don't have a tin I can put it in.

It's sponge cake, which was marmaladed to keep it moist, then it's been fully ganached and decorated.

Do I just leave it out on the side? Or put it in the fridge? The chocolate fence makes it hard to cling film with out disturbing it.

Help!

In other news, in really bloody proud of it! Had a right mare trying to do one with green buttercream on Friday as a rehearsal so this is a masterpiece compared to that!

BristolLFR Sun 30-Oct-16 21:13:52

The buttercream fail for your amusement...

elephantoverthehill Sun 30-Oct-16 21:13:53

Cardboard box over the top and then foil, or a stacker box.

RNBrie Sun 30-Oct-16 21:14:16

I would probably build it a tin foil house. Lay out a long strip of tin foil, put the board with the cake on in the middle and then join the ends over the cake. But it will probably be fine just left out on the side. I'd only put it in the fridge if it had fresh cream in it.

Imaystillbedrunk Sun 30-Oct-16 21:15:42

Looks fab. Well done

FusionChefGeoff Sun 30-Oct-16 21:31:54

Would it fit in your microwave? I think I read somewhere that they're airtight so good for cakes

BristolLFR Sun 30-Oct-16 21:32:58

Fab, thanks.

Will get crafty with the tinfoil!

fusspot66 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:36:35

In your tummy.

(I can't believe no one else has thought of this.)

BristolLFR Sun 30-Oct-16 21:54:11

Not sure I'd win the competition with that strategy fusspot!

Have also already made myself feel a bit sick eating the left over ganache. And the sugar rush has got my baby (7months preg) doing backflips! I'm not getting to sleep any time soon...

BristolLFR Sun 30-Oct-16 21:55:35

Just realised the ganache had cream in it so have put it in the fridge (in its tin foil tent). Don't want to poison the whole department at work tomorrow!

Twooter Sun 30-Oct-16 21:57:14

I use the microwave

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now