Does anyone else bake along with Bake-off?

(4 Posts)
Sadik Sat 24-Sep-16 19:36:11

DD & I always make something at the weekend from the week's theme - so far we've made:

Lemon drizzle cake - from a friend's recipe, but I've not made it for about 10 years, so a nice reminder to dig it out (another time I'd add poppy seeds as someone did on the show)

Gingerbread biscuits - from a Constance Spry recipe for making a gingerbread house. Good, but not very sweet at all, I've only baked them before for using in a house, and didn't think about the icing/sweets that you get with a house

Plaited bread stuffed with cheese/garlic/herbs - from the new bake-off cookbook (dd found it in the library smile ) DD loved it, I found it a bit over-kill
Yorkshire puds filled with sausages/onion gravy - so deconstructed toad in the hole. I'd definitely make it that way again, hadn't thought of it but I always get soggy bits in toad in the hole, but can make yorkshires reliably!

And this week we've just made bakewell tart (but no icing grin ) - a bit of a cheat because it's a Katie Stewart recipe I've been making for at least 35 years, but who could choose anything else with that as an option . . .

Anyone else do this? If so, what have you made, and what was good?

I do. I have a couple of friends and we take it in turns to host on a Wednesday. When you're hosting you have to make something appropriate to that week, so for botanical week this week I'll be making lemon and rosemary shortbread and apricot, pistachio and rosewater tartlets.
I used to bake the technical challenge afterwards but I find this more fun and less stressful.

Sadik Sun 25-Sep-16 19:35:43

That sounds like a lovely idea (and a good way to avoid bake-off munchies grin ). We tend to be pretty flexible in what we bake - more 'inspired by' to avoid making it too stressful an experience!

Lemon and rosemary shortbread sounds fabulous smile

divafever99 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:39:55

dd (5) and I made pancakes for breakfast last weekend inspired by batter week, They were yummy, loads of nutella! Dh came downstairs and asked if it was pancake day hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now