Dairy free chocolate cake?

(12 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:01:31

Does anyone have an easy recipe? I have Pure vegan margarine which I can substitute for butter.

Strokkur Thu 22-Sep-16 20:07:15

I do Nigella's chocolate olive oil cake a lot: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

And this one, also from Nigella, which is possibly even yummier: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/dark-and-sumptuous-chocolate-cake

I use light olive oil instead of coconut oil for that one.

PolterGoose Thu 22-Sep-16 20:08:33

I just use Pure instead of butter and use cocoa powder and a dash of vanilla.

Dancergirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:09:02

Is cocoa powder dairy free?

Fuzzywuzzywasabear Thu 22-Sep-16 20:12:23

Dairy free spread instead of butter and 70% dark chocolate, I use tesco own brand ones which may contain traces of milk due to manufacturing methods but don't have any dairy products in them.

PolterGoose Thu 22-Sep-16 20:13:48

Cocoa powder is dairy free.

Velodromedary Thu 22-Sep-16 20:13:49

The alchemist's chocolate cake (Dan Lepard) is easy and delicious - tastes much more indulgent than it is, as the moistness comes from a tin of pears rather than fat. If you Google it there's a recipe in the Guardian.

Dancergirl Fri 23-Sep-16 10:33:52

Thanks all, they all look nice. I have the first Nigella one with olive oil in the oven as we speak.

AnnieOnnieMouse Fri 23-Sep-16 11:31:01

I also make dairy free chocolate cake with oil. I put in a tablespoon of treacle to deepen the taste, and it's one of my fastest sellers - I do the refreshments at study days a few times a year.
Ensure you use proper cocoa powder, as that is dairy free - hot chocolate powder is full of skimmed milk powder, so a no-no. I buy the cocoa powder from Aldi - just as good for baking as the posher brands.
(gets coat, goes to Dancergirl's for tea and cake)

Dancergirl Fri 23-Sep-16 13:53:18

grin

You are very welcome annie While you're here, you could also have some rock hard 'cinnamon buns' to break your teeth on (see my other thread) grin

Cake out of oven, looks good, going to ice it smile

Sparklesilverglitter Fri 23-Sep-16 14:00:16

Bit late but maybe an idea for next time? Jamie Oliver dairy free chocolate cake www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-vegan-chocolate-cake/

I had made in a few times when a dairy free friend comes over and I have to say it's very nice!

user1471446433 Fri 23-Sep-16 14:36:41

Hershey's chocolate recipe works well - oil based & sub almond milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now