First Time Christmas Cake maker

(10 Posts)
Onlyonce Tue 20-Sep-16 14:17:35

So I want to have a go at doing a Christmas cake myself

How far in advance do I need to make it and have you any recommended and fool proof recipes for me?

beela Tue 20-Sep-16 14:22:15

I usually make mine sometime in late October/early November, and use the recipe in the River cottage cake book.

For any recipe you can use whatever mix of dried fruit you have to hand, as long as the weight is correct, and pre-soaking makes a big difference.

Already made mine, James martins make and mature cake is fabulous, dead easy and so moist, I feed it with rum every 2weeks until Christmas. This is the 3rd year I've made it and am going to make a second one next week as last years disappeared so quickly.

Planning on making mine in early October, then feeding it weekly until Christmas. I use the Delia Smith recipe - never known to fail!

TolpuddleFarterOATB Tue 20-Sep-16 16:38:01

Always use Delia's recipe, it's been brilliant.

I even made her Creole Christmas cake last year, it was lovely.

CMOTDibbler Tue 20-Sep-16 16:54:58

Buy good fruit, and pre soak it with far more liquid than it says in the recipe and for a few days. If you put nice plump fruit into the cake it will be far better than feeding it later.

I also had great success last year with the Lidl pre soaked fruit which was very nice and a good price - I used it for the cakes I make for charity hampers

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 20-Sep-16 17:07:46

Hmm, I struggled with Delia's recipe - it burned in the end! Watching with interest.

Lilacpink40 Tue 20-Sep-16 18:23:07

Does anyone have a good online recipe?

I'd like to try for first time too op smile

Onlyonce Tue 20-Sep-16 20:31:25

Thanks for the advice everyone. If you have any more tips so I can avoid festive disaster please let me know!

Whenwillitrain Tue 20-Sep-16 20:36:09

I do Delia's recipe. My recipe book is about thirty years old, so the cooking times and temperatures didn't take into account fan ovens. I cook on a lower heat and for a shorter time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now