Help - my fruit cakes are too crumbly!

(7 Posts)
runner2 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:43:39

I regularly make fruit cakes which taste great but are impossible to slice because they crumble as soon as I cut into them! Have tried a couple of different recipes but it happens every time - please tell me what I'm doing wrong... confused

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Fri 02-Sep-16 12:52:14

Do you pre soak the fruit it could be the fruit is drying out the cake

runner2 Fri 02-Sep-16 13:03:17

No I don't - the recipes I've tried don't say to. I'm wondering if it might be the size of the eggs - I usually use medium when perhaps large would work better? Or should I try just adding another egg to the mix?

1frenchfoodie Sun 04-Sep-16 14:52:34

I tend to use recipes that pre soak the fruit and crumbiness is not a problem - perhaps try one. This Gardian one is good, we don't have whisky in the house but soaking in tea or brandy works fine.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/17/how-cook-perfect-christmas-cake

Hugh FS has a good one in his river cottage light and easy cookbook where the fruit is soaked in cider or apple juice. No butter either so slightly healthier.

PolterGoose Sun 04-Sep-16 15:04:11

This is my favourite fruit cake recipe. From the Be-Ro book. I always use butter and usually add some cherries, sometimes I add some mixed spice. 2 eggs can help it bind better.

It cuts best if cooled and then tightly wrapped and stored for at least a day or 2.

PolterGoose Sun 04-Sep-16 15:06:59

The Be-Ro cake isn't a rich Christmas cake type fruit cake. I've made it began before by using vegan margarine and no eggs. Some soaked and blitzed dates helped it bind.

runner2 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:36:22

PolterGoose when you posted I'd just baked the Be-Ro fruit cake recipe on p47 (rubbed-in method)!! It turned out better than other recipes but next time I will give the one you recommended a try (hadn't noticed that one before!) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now