Butter icing.....help!

(18 Posts)
MrBoot Thu 01-Sep-16 22:33:15

I make it using a very simpe recipe of 100g icing sugar added to 100g softened butter but every time I make it, the consistency seems ok but it just tastes too buttery. When I buy cupcakes, the icing never tastes like actual butter.

This evening, I added some lemon juice to it to try to take away the butter taste but I hardly noticed it. I was afraid to use too much lemon juice in case the children didn't like them.

Disclaimer: I rarely bake so apologise for the question.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Thu 01-Sep-16 22:35:37

Maybe try adding some vanilla?

Justwanttoweeinpeace Thu 01-Sep-16 22:36:13

I'm rubbish too but butter icing I've mastered.

2:1 ratio icing sugar to butter.

Blitz butter to a paste in the mixer.

Hand stir in icing.

Add a wee bit of milk and colouring / flavouring.

Done. Sounds like you don't have enough icing sugar.

rubberducker Thu 01-Sep-16 22:36:51

You need to use at least double the amount of icing sugar to butter - your ratio is wrong! You can always add a bit of milk to loosen the consistency if necessary.

MrsRonBurgundy Thu 01-Sep-16 22:38:34

When I do it, I have double the amount of icing sugar than the amount of butter. Eg 100g butter = 200g icing sugar. I put a few drops of milk in if the consistency is too thick but it's generally not. I used this recipe yesterday and piped the icing instead of my usual spooning on efforts and it piped really nicely

Fitzsimmons Thu 01-Sep-16 22:39:20

Half fat to sugar. So 100g of sugar, 50g of butter etc. Dash of milk helps it blend. Vanilla extract or pods for flavour.

MrBoot Thu 01-Sep-16 22:40:44

That explains that. I was using an Annabel Karmel recipe. Maybe she was trying to reduce the sugar I think that is a (bit pointless when actually making cake). The next time I'll make it 2:1. Thank you everyone.

DropZoneOne Thu 01-Sep-16 22:42:31

Definitely double sugar to butter. Half teaspoon vanilla or other flavouring extracts. Add drops of milk whilst whisking to get desired consistency.

user1462981975 Thu 01-Sep-16 22:43:43

You need more icing sugar to your butter, I found a recipe for buttercream and to me it tasted lovely! Give it a trysmile

115g unsalted butter
260g icing sugar
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of milk

Make sure the butter is room temp and cream until it's soft

Whisk in the icing sugar a bit at a time

Add the vanilla extract and whisk

Add the milk and give it a good whisk until you've got the correct consistency smile

Try it as you go along!

MrBoot Thu 01-Sep-16 23:10:13

I'll definitely add vanilla extract and double the ratios.
Thanks all.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 06:49:05

I just keep adding in the sugar until it can't take anymore, then add some milk for to make it workable.

miwelaisjacydo Sat 17-Sep-16 22:33:57

As others have said you need loads less butter or loads more icing I tend to put double the icing to butter.

PitchFork Sat 17-Sep-16 22:35:59

yes to ratio 1:2 butter/sugar
and it needs a splash of baileys liquid
and lots of beating.

janethegirl2 Sat 17-Sep-16 22:40:53

I never weigh it, but put a pile of icing sugar in bowl, add a lump of butter ( prob around 30g) add some vanilla essence and boiling water then mix. It seems to turn out ok every time.

ilovewelshrarebit123 Sat 17-Sep-16 22:43:16

Yep, half fat to icing sugar. I make 500g icing sugar, 250g butter. Bit of milk a little vanilla essence, yum!

Imnotaslimjim Sat 17-Sep-16 22:44:34

I use a recipe for crusting buttercream for my cupcakes. The ratios are a bit extreme - 1kg of icing sugar to 300g of butter then just keep adding milk until it's workable, then add flavouring. (you can split it to a smaller amount, obviously I make it in batches as I sell them). The buttercream crusts and develops a hard edge which means they don't damage easily when being transported.

lostscot Sat 17-Sep-16 22:46:20

Beat the butter well before you add the icing sugar too.

GraciesMansion Sat 17-Sep-16 22:50:22

80g of butter, 250g of icing sugar, 40mls milk + flavourings. Works every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now