Healthy birthday cake

(10 Posts)
PebbleTTC Sun 17-Jul-16 11:41:06

Is there such thing as a healthy birthday cake for 1 year old? Want to hold off giving processed sugar for the moment and don't want to do fruit shapes.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 17-Jul-16 11:49:18

You could try honey or stevia or dates?
Also coconut flour instead of wheat one ...

VioletBam Sun 17-Jul-16 11:51:12

au.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=watermelon%20cake%20birthday%20fruit&rs=typed&0=watermelon%7Ctyped&1=cake%7Ctyped&2=birthday%7Ctyped&3=fruit%7Ctyped

Festive but v healthy.

mzS1990 Sun 17-Jul-16 11:53:27

I don't have any advice except - it's a birthday. Give her/him some birthday cake cakewink

PebbleTTC Sun 17-Jul-16 12:25:23

mzS1990 I know it is a birthday and I do want to give cake but am looking for sugar alternative cake

PebbleTTC Sun 17-Jul-16 12:25:54

Can you give 1 year old honey in cake?

Houseconfusion Sun 17-Jul-16 12:33:43

Honey is no healthier than sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar. It's a complete misconception about sugar that people think fructose/glucose/honey/corn syrup are not sugar.

Secondly. Not sure if it's a first baby, but a bit of birthday cake at 1 is absolutely on the okay spectrum of things.

OreosOreosOreos Sun 17-Jul-16 12:38:06

I bake with coconut sugar, which has a lower gi than normal white sugar. Or date syrup or Apple purée, although you have to experiment a bit with those as they can change the texture.

I find that you can usually reduce the sugar content by quite a bit anyway with it still tasting good.

PeterRabbitt Sun 17-Jul-16 12:47:27

I make a carrot cake with wholemeal flour, maple syrup and coconut oil amongst other things. It's still not 'healthy' but it's much better for the kids than a shop bought Colin the caterpillar that I'd dearly love to eat but need to lose baby weight sadsad

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 17-Jul-16 13:03:21

OP yes you can give honey after one have a look at what NHS says as well just to be sure
And yes honey is better than processed sugar, it's digested much much easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now