(7 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Sun 19-Jun-16 14:53:09

flapjacks
Brownies
Chocolate rice crispies
Apple cake
Banana cake
Chestnut cake?

I need to make enough for about 200 people. I have no room in the freezer and a limited supply if cake tins. But unlimited cling film.

MrsHathaway Sun 19-Jun-16 15:29:17

Brownies, apple cake, banana cake freeze. A week or two before. Allow 24h to defrost. If you really have no freezer space, probably two or three days but well wrapped.

Chocolate rice crispies - as late as possible as they go soft. Alternatively, use coco pops and toffee mixture (a bag of toffees, a bag of marshmallows, a knob of butter) and they'll last ages - can make several days in advance and store in a cool dark place.

Flapjacks several days, maybe a week.

Chestnut cake - no idea!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 19-Jun-16 15:31:44

I would borrow extra tins, washing, drying and reusing while under time pressure is a real pain.

DoItTooJulia Sun 19-Jun-16 15:35:09

Brownies are the one you can make furthest in advance. Should be ok for four to five days.
Chic rice cakes are more tricky because the chocolate might bloom. In the fridge , 2 days in advance?

The apple cake max 2 days.

Banana and chestnut possibly three.

I'd have thought the flapjack would do 3 days. But again, butter in summer can go rancid, so needs to be in a cool place.

Tricky with no freezer space because the cakes would be fine in there for ages!!

Happy baking!

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 19-Jun-16 16:56:47

Oooh, cocoa pops and toffee mixture, sounds ideal!

Excellent. Well, I reckon next Saturday and Sunday are going to be full on. Necessary for Monday afternoon. Thanks, all. Pretty much what I'd reckoned. .

DrowningOnSchoolRun Tue 21-Jun-16 19:03:54

Do you not have a neighbour or friend that can put stuff in the freezer for a few days? I've recently converted to freezing and have done cupcakes, cake and brownies and they work brilliantly. That would then "just" leave the other bits and any decorating that might need doing.

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 21-Jun-16 20:28:26

Hmmm, well lovely neighbour is coming round on Sunday to help... Might see if I can do a few batches before then. So far 89 people have said yes. There will be a few who don't turn up and at least 30 more who " drop by".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now