Most delicious biscuit recipes

(10 Posts)
AliceInHinterland Fri 17-Jun-16 20:00:07

I am stuck under a sleeping baby thinking about the biscuits that I would make if I had the ingredients and two free hands (inspired by another thread - TIBAT). I am thinking orange all butter shortbread. Any other inspiration? Cookie ideas are also welcome!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Sat 18-Jun-16 22:26:16

I currently am in love with plain all butter shortbread, so butter, flour, sugar. But 8oz of butter only makes about 12 biscuits

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 18-Jun-16 22:28:17

Twice baked brown sugar shortbread.

AliceInHinterland Sun 19-Jun-16 07:27:09

Ooh do you have a link Chardonnay?

LegoCaltrops Sun 19-Jun-16 08:05:52

I got this by email years ago - it was purportedly a Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe that they'd conned a woman into paying $250 for, so she decided to spread it around the web. NM later advised this had never happened. Nevertheless, the cookies are delicious, they are my go-to bulk baking recipe for charity cake days at work. I have reduced the original recipe which makes over a 100 cookies, & worked out the weights (as all measurements were given in cups).

125g butter
300g mixed chocolate chips - I use chopped supermarket chocolate, whatever is a good price.
125g plain flour
250g brown sugar
1/2 tsp sodium bicarbonate
1/4 tsp salt
75g grated chocolate (again, use a regular supermarket chocolate - this is optional)
145g porridge oats
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
100g chopped nuts (optional - I use hazelnuts - I also tend to leave some whole for a nice chunky texture)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
Cream the butter and both sugars.
Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking
powder, and Bicarb (soda).
Add chocolate chips, grated chocolate if using, and nuts.
Roll into balls about the size of a walnut shell, and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at (180 °C ) 375 degrees. If you use a silicone lining sheet it's very easy. When you take each batch out of the oven, leave them on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack - these are very soft when they come out.

The above quantities make ± 25 cookies.

AliceInHinterland Sun 19-Jun-16 08:23:30

That sounds lovely - I love hazelnuts (and chocolate, obviously) - funny back story too!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 19-Jun-16 13:12:54

www.lottieanddoof.com/2008/12/brown-butter-shortbread/

Here, it uses american cups though.

emilythomson313 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:22:26

LegoCaltrops , thanks for sharing! Sounds amazing, definitely going to try this!

VeryFoolishFay Tue 05-Jul-16 06:56:39

This is my go to shortbread recipe - sometimes with chopped up chocolate in

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9556075/Classic-shortbread-recipe.html

Plus - these cookies never fail. But be brave - 12 minutes only!!

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6052/-chocolate-chip-cookies

Naicecuppatea Wed 24-Aug-16 15:22:55

LegoCaltrops I am going to give your cookie recipe a go today! Can you clarify - you said "both sugars" and you only list brown sugar in the ingredients? thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now