My rolling pin has fallen apart after at least 15 years of almost daily use. New one: wood again or should I go for silicone or something else?

(5 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Sat 21-May-16 07:50:25

I've been happy with this one, it's been perfect for pizza and pasta dough, but occasionally a bit sticky with pastries and biscuits.
So I'm considering getting something else. Or do I actually need two?
I prefer ones with handles, rather than just the pin ones.

Any thoughts?

bookbook Sat 21-May-16 08:07:25

poor you -it takes years to break one in properly !
Personally I would stick to wood. But maybe I am biased - mines 40 years old....
DD1 has one that looks a bit like marble, too clunky
DD2 has a silicone one, but the balance and weight is wrong for me
Can you go and try them out ? smile

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sat 21-May-16 08:09:17

My Tupperware one is still going strong at over 30 years old! It's a pin style, hollow so you can put cold water in if you want to use it on warmer days, and leaves a beautiful smooth finish, even on fondant icing. Easy to clean and I've never had problems with it sticking. Not sure if you can still get them, but if so, I'd definitely recommend.

LBOCS2 Tue 24-May-16 14:56:43

I have two - a marble one for pastry and a wooden one for everything else. The marble one was super expensive and weighs a ton though, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it...

TheKitchenWitch Wed 01-Jun-16 14:42:50

I got a wooden one and am considering silicone for pastry. But the new wooden one is a revelation! It's much heavier than the old one so makes rolling actually much easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now