Cake recipes that are all about the taste!

(4 Posts)
cakeycakeface Tue 26-Apr-16 14:38:35

I am perpetually disappointed by cake. I find cupcakes beautiful, but sickeningly sweet. Same with most birthday cakes. There are occasional gems though. This is one of them (trust me), and I'm really hoping other MNetters will share their yummiest cake recipes even if they seem to lack bling!

Chocolate Quinoa Cake (gluten free)

2/3 cup quinoa, (white or golden)
330 ml water
80 ml milk
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup golden caster sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Bring the quinoa and water to boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

Preheat the oven to 180'C. Lightly grease two 8-inch (20cm) round or square cake tins. Line the bottoms with parhment paper.

Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add two cups of cooked quinoa and the melted butter and blend until smooth.

Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. (The batter will be a thick liquid consistency.) Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake on a center shelf for 40 - 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Note that the cakes do not rise very much. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool completely in the pan before serving. Ice with a ganache icing if desired.

Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.

PlymouthMaid1 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:21:49

That is an interesting recipe. I will try it as I have a bag of quinoa lurking about. I totally agree about cupcakes and birthday cakes ...they seem to be all about the yukky iucing withe cake a sad sweet white sponge afterthought. One of my favourites is Nigellas damp lemon cake. Its goirgeous and will appear if you google it. Also freezes well.

TheDropBear Fri 06-May-16 17:14:17

Hummingbird cake is really tasty and easy to make. I use Jamie Oliver's recipe but use less icing sugar for the cream cheese icing. Usually make it as he does with half the amount of sugar and then beat in more if needed depending on taste and texture.

JoyFantastic Sat 14-May-16 15:26:41

I've just made an orange and almond torte from Good Housekeeping, recipe is online. You basically boil a whole unpeeled orange for an hour and puree it, no need to add fat/ butter, and it's ground almonds instead of flour (so could be ideal cake/ pudding for restricted diets).
The house smells absolutely amazing and it tastes delicious, really moist, no decoration required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now