Tragacanth fondant?

(3 Posts)
ShowOfHands Thu 14-Apr-16 09:22:24

DD's birthday is in a few weeks and she's chosen the most difficult cake in my book (Mrs Tiggy-Winkle).

The instructions say that I need to mix together half normal fondant and half tragacanth fondant.

I assume tragacanth fondant is normal fondant with gum tragacanth added. I've only ever used tragacanth for doing tiny sugar paste work. The instructions in the book are for making your own tragacanth fondant and piddling about with gelatine, egg whites and liquid glucose. I have neither the time nor the inclination for that. The instructions for tragacanth fondant suggest I need a tablespoon of gum tragacanth for the amount of fondant I need (340g). Does that sound right?

Can I just add a tablespoon of gum tragacanth to ready made fondant icing?

Mrs Tiggy-Winkle fgs.

Molecule Fri 15-Apr-16 15:26:25

I would think you'd be fine just adding the tragacanth to the ready made fondant, or else use petal paste. What is the fondant doing that necessitates the tragacanth?

Cardilover Fri 15-Apr-16 15:32:34

Would this be to make Mexican paste (half fondant/half petal)? So just a bit harder and less melty than fondant? You can buy mexican paste ready made or you could just add the gum tragacanth to fondant as Molecule said

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now