Baking for bake sales

(16 Posts)
Xmasbaby11 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:27:09

I've offered to do some baking for a jumble sale this weekend, and I can't decide what to make. I bake often, probably twice a week, for family and work and nursery, but I'm not sure what kind of things sell best at cake sales. I've also got to bake something for my husband's work do, so basically on Thursday evening I need to produce a lot of cake! Any suggestions? Is it better to do individual bits or one big cake? I am used to doing things like cupcakes, chocolate fudge cake, carrot cake etc.

MattDillonsPants Wed 06-Apr-16 04:26:21

I'm joining in OP...not because I can help you but because I also need advice! I have to provide two cakes on Friday and I"m not allowed to add any cream toppings as they're not getting sold till' Saturday!

I have always seen chocolate muffins sell very well...but they're usually what I make...I was thinking about doing a Lemon Drizzle cake and perhaps a tray bake.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Wed 06-Apr-16 04:46:03

Individual buns, cookies and tray bakes are easiest to handle for people walking around. Little pretty buns for DC also go down well.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 06-Apr-16 21:49:22

OK that's good. I was thinking mini vanilla cupcakes with pretty icing and brownies. I have made muffins a few times but they're already disappointing! Does anyone have a good recipe?

I was also thinking biscotti but I'm not sure if it's too niche.

Doje Wed 06-Apr-16 21:52:47

Cupcakes and brownies will definitely do well! Not sure about the biscotti though.

I made millionaire shortbread once which went down really well!

elephantoverthehill Wed 06-Apr-16 21:58:20

I'm only posting on this thread for those us who are totally bakingly shambolic. Buy Tesco value fairy cakes, make up various lurid colour icings. Buy jelly tots, chocolate buttons etc. Allow DCs to show their creative sides. They always go down well because the parents think you are a great DM for allowing the children to be artistic and the DCs at the bake sale will hone in on them because they look really exciting and have lots of sweets on them. wink

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Wed 06-Apr-16 22:06:26

What I would say is avoid adding flavours to cupcakes etc, I have run dozens of primary school cake fairs and it's sad seeing a child happily choose a pretty cake and then being disappointed because either the cake or icing is flavoured and they were expecting a plain cake. OK if it's obvious like lemon drizzle cake or gingerbread men though.

FawnDrench Wed 06-Apr-16 22:16:58

What about making rocky road?
After all, it's very versatile and adaptable and uses all manner of ingredients, can be made ahead of time, it's very tasty, easily transportable and looks good if you decorate the top.

You can cut it up and sell it in squares or as a "tray".

And it's dead easy to make.

Doreta2G Wed 06-Apr-16 22:23:34

I agree with cupcakes. I also do nigella's Christmas chocolate biscuits. They were really easy and delicious.

I think lemon drizzle always goes down well too - either in a loaf or in cupcakes.

Good luck!

BlueEyeshadow Wed 06-Apr-16 22:29:02

This is my standard recipe for bake sales:

lemon drizzle cake tray bake (without the violets!)

These toffee cake squares are good too, again without the fancy topping - usually just dust with icing sugar.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:27:11

I've made a massive batch of Nigella brownies, and I'm going to do 36 mini vanilla cupcakes with buttercream and various sprinkle bits. The house smells really really nice. The DC aren't helping as there isn't time after nursery - so at least the cakes will be hygienically made! The rocky road is a good idea for next time - I don't like it myself but everyone else seems to love it!

Xmasbaby11 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:28:11

I might make that lemon drizzle cake just for the family this weekend - yum!

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Fri 08-Apr-16 12:29:46

Yes to Rocky Road, it does sell really well.

Couldashouldawoulda Thu 23-Jun-16 21:15:36

I trawled loads of threads about this a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the bestsellers tend to be (a) cupcakes with tons of toppings on, nothing tasteful, just ladle the stuff on and the kids will go for it; and (b) chocolate crispie cakes. I did both for our bake sale, and they all disappeared pronto. HTH!

wobblywonderwoman Thu 23-Jun-16 21:18:35

We do a lot of these types of things

Traybakes like tiffin, fifteens etc work well
I always make apple crumble as I am not too fancy smile

Xmasbaby11 Fri 01-Jul-16 00:12:57

The cupcakes and brownies were popular, although I think there was loads of chocolate stuff so not all the brownies went.

I have tried a couple of Mary Berry tray bakes to do another time, but they were a bit dry and unexciting. Cheap and quick to make though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now