What am I doing wrong? Mixing melted chocolate and cream.

(3 Posts)
NannyR Sun 27-Mar-16 17:01:27

Yesterday I had a go at making the Easter nest cake from nigella's feast cookbook. I followed the recipe to the letter, the cake part turned out perfectly.

The instructions for the topping were to melt some dark chocolate and allow to cool, whip the double cream until lightly whipped/aerated, then fold In the melted chocolate and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

The photo showed a light, whipped, creamy, chocolatey filling; mine seized up the minute the chocolate hit the cream. I persevered mixing it together but instead of being a chocolatey whipped cream, I had a dense, grainy, solid lump.

It tasted ok and I was able to spread it on the cake and disguise with the mini eggs but I was just wondering if there was anything obvious that I had done wrong? I've had the same problem before when making a chocolate truffle cake from a different book, as in the cream/choc mixture seized up but I thought I'd followed the recipe wrong.

It's quite an expensive mistake when the recipe calls for best quality chocolate and double cream.

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 28-Mar-16 15:11:35

you could try melting the chocolate, cooling slightly and adding in unwhipped cream. Leave for a while to thicken, then use.

Or heat the cream, then add the chocolate chopped in pieces. Stir until chocolate melts, leave for a while to thicken then use.

Daffodil90 Thu 14-Apr-16 17:52:36

I always heat the cream until almost boiling (but not!) and then add the chocolate. The heat from the cream will melt it and just stir it up right nice 😊
As is it's a liquid ganache and if you let it cool you can whip it up into more of a filling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now