Help - trying to make big birthday cake

(3 Posts)
Ka1978 Fri 11-Mar-16 23:54:41

Hi

I'm making my son's birthday cake - He wants a chocolate cake and it needs to be big so I found a recipe and conversion table to make a 12 inch round choc Madeira cake. BUT it hasn't risen evenly or enough for me to splice it across inmhalf, and it has got a really hard crust.

I now think I need to go smaller so it cooks more evenly, and have 1 10inch tin. Does anyone have a fool proof recipe for a chocolate cake with amounts / timings for a 10 inch tin, that ell allow me to slice it in half?

Thanks in advance!

Kbear Sat 12-Mar-16 00:06:12

1 egg, 2oz of everything else is my mum's cake that never fails

so 5 eggs, 10 of caster, SR flour, butter (I use Flora though) + tsp of baking powder - substitute 2/3 oz of flour for cocoa

remember your cakes will only rise the height of the tin so if you're using inch high sandwich tins that is how the cake will rise - I would use a proper deep sided cake tin and make two rather than slice them in half

and the crust means your oven is too hot - turn it down 20 degrees

Kbear Sat 12-Mar-16 00:07:38

and re timings - I think 20 mins then check how it's rising and stick a knife in to see if it comes out clean

I cook sponges on about 180 fan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now