Sport themed cake?

(10 Posts)
beela Tue 08-Mar-16 21:33:50

DS's school are having a sport relief cake sale next week, and want 'sport themed' cakes to sell. Any ideas???

annandale Tue 08-Mar-16 21:40:54

Have you got a smallish bowl that you can put in the oven? I made a spherical Death Star by cooking 2 half spheres in a Pyrex bowl like this, then stuck it together with jam and draping lots of ready made icing over it. Do yours with white icing and then cut out black hexagons (?) to make a football. Warning - this will cost quite a lot.

If you can get or borrow a large rectangular cake tin (swiss roll tin maybe?) you could make a swimming pool (blue icing, pink wafer biscuit for a diving board), rugby pitch (straws for the goals), football pitch, snooker table with sweets for balls and a chopstick for a cue. For the latter you'd have to cut out a central rectangle to be lower than the outside.

Dartboard? tricky to ice but easy to cook.

MattDillonsPants Tue 08-Mar-16 21:42:45

How is the Death Star sport themed? grin Op I would order some rice paper cake toppers....make a load of basic fairy cakes .

DebtheBread Wed 09-Mar-16 11:21:18

One of our members of the Wright's Home Baking Club covered one of our cakes with black & white hexagonal shapes - the cutter was from Lakeland. The cake mix was baked in an 8" round tin and covered with the hexagonal shapes making it look like a football.

MattDillonsPants Wed 09-Mar-16 11:48:51

I always think there's a real lack of sporty cake decorations...apart from football. Where are all the netball or tennis or gymnastics decorations? Horse riding?

beela Fri 11-Mar-16 17:19:31

I love the snooker table idea grin

Also thought of using chocolate eggs as rugby balls?

iseenodust Fri 11-Mar-16 17:26:21

DS made a tennis cake. Green roll out icing from Tesco, piped white court lines & net ( bit slanty to give impression of height) & marzipan mini players.

wonkylegs Fri 11-Mar-16 17:30:14

Cupcakes with different balls iced on them - basketball (Orange), tennis (yellow) cricket (red with white lines), snooker (choose whatever you've got spare), football (black & white)
If you buy a multi-pack of coloured icing and just work to the colours they have.

PenguinsAreAce Fri 11-Mar-16 17:49:33

body boarding?

wonkylegs Fri 11-Mar-16 18:00:35

Put sport cupcakes into Pinterest and you get loads of ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now