Is there any reason I can't use a round tin...

(11 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 19-Feb-16 09:45:55

...when recipe (for sticky orange cake) says loaf tin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 19-Feb-16 09:48:25

just do your maths!! Measure the tins and see if the area is about the same, ...and we now all need the recipe to drool over please and thankyou.

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 19-Feb-16 09:49:47

Nope. I always change tins according to what i what to achieve.

Just might need shorter time in oven as greater surface area. I start watching like a hawk about two thirds of the way theough the cooking time advised.

ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 19-Feb-16 09:56:33

Thank you. It is this one. Though I have satsumas and lemons not oranges so will make it a general citrus cake.

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/sticky-orange-cake-1930

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 19-Feb-16 10:00:07

nice deep 7 inch tin should do nicely for that and like bigfudge says, check it earlier.

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 19-Feb-16 11:46:15

I actually think that comeagain is wrong about timings. Because the middle of the cake will be further away from the side of the pan it will need longer to cook. That is why a 10" rd cake takes longer to cook than a 6" rd cake.

Smidge001 Fri 19-Feb-16 11:54:57

Hmm. Now you've ot me thinking. I agreed with comeagain. Surely more surface area = quicker bake? Deep cakes always seem to take way longer to cook.

But if they cook better from proximity to the tin, (and to be fair cakes are always crispier down the sides) then I'm still confused 4merly, coz a 10" one has more cake close to the base of the tin (even if further away from the sides). Surely cakes don't just cook side-in? Either it's proximity to metal in general, or amount of surface area.... confused

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 19-Feb-16 14:38:29

Smidge, we have had many enquiries here at work about how to bake a 12" square madeira cake. An 8" square one will bake in around 45 minutes. After 90 minutes, the 12" one was decidedly crisp on the outside, but still uncooked in the middle. QED

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 19-Feb-16 16:01:02

Oh i went out. Meant to come back and post that always do the clean skewer test and if you think top getting a bit brown cover it with greaseproof paper. But i would say this for all cakes regardless of tin size.

I have done nigellas chocolate orange cake, thats in a round tin and timings are similar to the above.

Howd you get on op?

ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 19-Feb-16 21:11:32

It is yummy. It took 40 mins to bake. I love these bung it all in one bowl and mix recipes.

ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 19-Feb-16 21:16:19

That was at 170 in a fan oven

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now