Chocolate cake with hidden vegetables for children who won't eat vegetables!

(19 Posts)
AnotherShirtRuined Tue 02-Feb-16 15:37:06

I once read on here someone mentioning a chocolate cake containing either beets or courgettes or ??? and I thought that would be perfect to try and sneak some vegetables into my vegetable refusing but cake loving 3 yo DS. The problem is I stupidly didn't think to write down the recipe at the time.

So if anyone has a recipe for a chocolate cake (or any cake really) containing vegetables that aren't too obvious (my DS usually spots all my sneaky attempts to hide carrots, spinach, etc.) I should be very grateful indeed!

lilproblem Tue 02-Feb-16 15:38:57

I just downloaded a courgette cake recipe which unfortunately I can't send you because I'm on the move but if you google "chocolate courgette cake" LOADS of recipes come up! Have fun!

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 15:59:36

You could make carrot cake too, in this house it used to be called spice cake though. wink

AnotherShirtRuined Tue 02-Feb-16 18:35:48

Mmm, spice cake!

Thanks for the suggetion, lil. I'll have a Google.

Titsywoo Tue 02-Feb-16 18:45:52

Beetroot and chocolate cake is a good combo. I also had courgette and carrot muffins (which I assume could be made into a make as they were the same texture) and they were lovely and I didn't know they had veg in them till dd told me. The recipe was one of the ones from Katy on Cbeebies.

Titsywoo Tue 02-Feb-16 18:48:03

Something like this www.netmums.com/recipes/carrot-and-courgette-savoury-muffins-my-daddy-cooks

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 20:06:47

Interesting, savoury muffins.
You could use wholemeal flour or half and half to start with, I do that in my sweet muffins anyway, can't notice it.

Terribleknitter Tue 02-Feb-16 20:10:34

Chocolate and beetroot is really good but I found it a little dry and quite heavy.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 02-Feb-16 20:15:18

I have this book. It has a great beetroot red velvet cake and the courgette cupcakes with strawberry are fantastic. In fact all the recipes work really well and many are gluten-free too.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0593062361/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_14_2/276-6426106-4305716?ie=UTF8&dpID=51qHgoKDWEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL115_SR90%2C115_&refRID=0GQ6WFDTR4X5DFTPPSR6

SoftSheen Tue 02-Feb-16 20:16:10

Parsnip and Maple Syrup cake is very good and contains parsnips, apple and orange.

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 23:10:21

knitter I've just been searching a nice chocolate and beetroot cake recipe, the Tesco one sounds good, I think I might try it, which recipe did you use, it wasn't that one was it?

realfood.tesco.com/recipes/beetroot-and-chocolate-cake.html

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 23:12:55

Sorry the links not working properly.

SunnySomer Tue 02-Feb-16 23:15:48

Two really good ones are Riverford www.riverford.co.uk/hrr/recipes/view/recipe/chocolate-beetroot-brownies (light, makes millions as they're quite rich) and river cottage www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chocolate-and-beetroot-brownies (for some reason that has a picture of tiffin not brownies, but the recipe is for brownies)

VulcanWoman Tue 02-Feb-16 23:20:38

Oow, they sound nice, liqueur, I like the sound of that.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Tue 02-Feb-16 23:34:27

This book here has a recipe for chocolate cake with beetroot I think (either that or cauliflower, or squash, I can't remember) but has loads of recipes with hidden veg.

AnotherShirtRuined Wed 03-Feb-16 07:53:32

Thanks for all the suggestions - I can't wait to try some of these out! That book looks really interesting Tension.

DebtheBread Thu 04-Feb-16 10:36:37

This chocolate cake with beetroot is great - made with a mix - really easy too. www.wrightsflour.co.uk/recipe.aspx?recipeid=345

bookbook Fri 05-Feb-16 20:27:54

This is the one I use- my DGS loves it ( and everyone else smile
Chocolate Courgette Cake

120 gm softened butter
125 ml sunflower oil
100 gm caster sugar
200 gm soft brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
130 ml milk
350 gm plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
4 tbsps cocoa
450 gm courgettes, peeled and grated finely
1 tsp vanilla essence

Line a 20 x 35 cm baking tray. Heat oven to 190/ fan 170

Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.

Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in the grated courgettes and vanilla essence.

Spoon into tin. bake for 35-45 minutes

Cut into squares while still warm .

VulcanWoman Fri 05-Feb-16 22:10:33

That sounds great too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now