Advice- cut sponge in half or ice it whole?

(6 Posts)
DirtyDancing Thu 07-Jan-16 22:18:44

I'm a novice! How hard is it to cut a cake in half? Looks easy on you tube! I'm a bit afraid.

I've make my Son's birthday cake tonight, ready to ice tomorrow night. Cake has turned out great! grin

Normally I do two cakes and sandwich together. But needed recipe for 10'' cake tin so got off Internet. When I went to split it into 2 cake tins it didn't look like there would be enough so I did it as one cake. And it's a lovely big cake.

Would it be strange just to cover it in my chocolate buttercream and not have a filling? It's for a 2 year olds party by the way, so it's not the end of the world cake

Thank you

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 07-Jan-16 22:22:21

Some professional bakers freeze their cakes before cutting in half.

How firm does it feel? I'd hate for you to take advice on cutting it and it ends up falling apart or breaking in half the wrong way!

Maybe scoop out some of the middle and make a big butterfly cake?

PurpleDaisies Thu 07-Jan-16 22:22:24

I'm sure it'll be delicious if you just ice the whole thing. Cutting a cake is easier than it looks-just let it get completely cold (that's the key) then take your biggest bread knife and go confidently at it. If it isn't totally even you can bodge it a bit with filling.

Enjoy your cake!

DirtyDancing Fri 08-Jan-16 17:50:26

I just wanted to let you know I cut it.. And it's all good! I can now ice in the middle.

Thanks for replying! It was firm so that's when I decided to go for it so that was great advice

DirtyDancing Fri 08-Jan-16 17:50:39

grin

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jan-16 17:57:45

Excellent! Hope it tastes really nice too.cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now