Buy a rectangle pan or cut end off square?

(7 Posts)
StickyGripper Sun 13-Sep-15 12:30:07

Apologies for a really basic question.
I need to make a birthday cake and it needs to be rectangle shape as it is a Tardis.
With regards to the best possible bake outcome, do you think it is best to use a rectangle pan or buy a big square one and cut the edge off?

Osmiornica Sun 13-Sep-15 18:35:05

You'll get more use out of a square one I'd have thought. I'd cut both sides though rather than just the one to make it even.

PurpleDaisies Sun 13-Sep-15 18:40:15

I have this tin which is fantastic.

www.lakeland.co.uk/10972/Silverwood-Multisize-Foldaway-Cake-Pan?gclid=COSHtcbG9McCFU1sGwodNLQAvg&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394235069!!!g!42887139984!&ef_id=VfW0dQAAAGkQyC-g:20150913173757:s

To be honest if you're covering the cake with buttercream and fondant it won't make any different whether you make a rectangle cake or chopping bits off a square one.

Happy baking!

LetThereBeCupcakes Sun 13-Sep-15 19:00:39

You should chop down a square cake so you can scoff check the offcut. Best way of ensuring it's cooked properly.

Osmiornica Sun 13-Sep-15 21:19:34

Ah yes, of course LetTherebecaupcakes. I forgot the main reason for doing a square one - leftovers! grin

StickyGripper Mon 14-Sep-15 07:25:20

Purple, that is just what I need and I am actually just off to Lakeland right now! I need to watch my storage space and seem to be doing more and more baking so that will be very handy.

Thanks everyone.

PurpleDaisies Mon 14-Sep-15 07:49:12

I feel like I should be paid commission from Lakeland-I've recommended that tin to so many people! It really is good too. The only thing to remember is you have to pick it up from the bottom. I forgot once and had a nightmare trying to get the frame back over four not quite cooked 6in square chocolate sponge cakes.

Have fun with your Tardis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now