Apple pie- Granny Smith apples

(6 Posts)
lovecake Thu 25-Jun-15 23:47:47

Hi. I want to make an apple pie but the supermarket didn't have any cooking apples, so I bought Granny Smiths. Do you know if these will be ok in a pie or too watery? Thanks.

princessvikki Fri 26-Jun-15 07:54:42

Granny Smith's won't break down the in the same way as cooking apple's also theyre much sweeter. I don't know about how watery they are in comparison but personally I would try again to get cooking apples

RosesandRugby Fri 26-Jun-15 08:01:22

They should be ok. For me it doesn't matter what type of Apple you use, I bake generic 'apple pies' rather than 'bramley apple pie'. I like a good mix of varieties grin

I don't know how you make your filling but if you stew your apples first you can pop them into a sieve or pour away some of the water/juice before putting into your pastry.

I just throw chunks of apple straight into the pastry but I use a really sturdy pastry that will take more juice if necessary.

lovecake Fri 26-Jun-15 08:01:34

Thank you for reply, I will go out today and source cooking apples. Thank you!

lovecake Fri 26-Jun-15 08:02:44

Oh cross post, I could try stewing these apples first and see how the taste... And then decide before putting in the pastry. Thanks

Greenrememberedhills Fri 26-Jun-15 08:04:47

I've made apple pies for years using all kinds of apples. Don't worry about it. Actually Granny Smiths are quite tart do I doubt you'd notice the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now