gluten free birthday cake recipes

(12 Posts)
moveon Thu 25-Jun-15 11:40:00

any tried and tested gluten free birthday cake recipes that you want to share with me?

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 11:42:52

I make this chocolate cake with Doves Farm gf flour, and its fantastic

moveon Thu 25-Jun-15 11:46:46

looks delicious cake brew

Never baked anything gluten free, is the flour forgiving?
Can you pretty much do the same as a regular recipe and then substitute the flour out?

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 11:49:41

It tends to be a bit drier, so you need a little more liquid. But otherwise with cakes I use regular recipes.

Scones, pastry, bread are a very different kettle of fish though!

hazeyjane Thu 25-Jun-15 11:56:58

I use the same recipe and Doves Farm flours - Nigellas brownies in How to be a Domestic Goddess come out brilliantly (even better than normal flour). For a plain birthday cake I usually use the recipe for Victoria sponge on the flour packet (doubling it for a bigger cake). For chocolate cake I use a Mary Berry Recipe from the bake off learn to bake book, which is lovely and very moist.

CMOT, biscuits and bread are a bloody nightmare I find, but I have a really good recipe for pastry, if you are interested I will stick it on here. smile

moveon Thu 25-Jun-15 12:00:05

hazey, please post pastry recipe

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 12:02:03

I'd love the pastry recipe - I was going to buy frozen Genius pastry to make a lemon meringue pie tomorrow, but would much prefer to make my own

hazeyjane Thu 25-Jun-15 12:14:25

GF pastry (sweet)

8oz plain Doves Farm flour
4oz butter (or half and half of butter and Trex - Trex gives a lighter pastry)
2oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp orange juice (or could use plain water if you'd rather!)

Rub in flour and butter (I use my mixer, because I am lazy)
Add caster sugar
Mix in egg yolk and orange juice/water.
Should come together to form a soft dough.

To fill a flan case, I usually roll it into a fat log, put it in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes, then slice thin slices to fill the case - blind bake it (with baking beans) for 10 mins, then take out beans, put in filling and bake for required time.

If is is for little tarts, you can roll it out (after it had been refridgerated) but it can be a bit of an arse to work with!

If you want to make it savoury, then just leave out the sugar and use a little less plain water.

(Sometimes for a pie with a lid on top, or lots of mince pies, I use these proportions
12oz flour
6oz butter/Trex
3oz sugar
1 egg
3 tbsp orange juice/water)

Hope it works and you don't end up with a claggy mess!

If you have any good cookie recipes that work (with not nuts in), then I would be eternally grateful!

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 12:19:52

My best biscuits are nut butter based, but these are really good - the bizarre inclusion of Angel Delight mix in them makes them chewy. these were good too - I skipped the faffy bits

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 12:20:43

And I should have said thank you for the recipe - I'll try it tomorrow

hazeyjane Thu 25-Jun-15 12:26:07

Thankyou! smile

Will get baking this afternoon

LittleMissRayofHope Thu 25-Jun-15 13:12:33

I use Mary berry's Victoria sponge recipe. Just use doves farm flour, and gluten free baking powder (Dr otker I think).

Gf can be a little drier and also a little more fragile. If you want a more regular consistency and a more regular crumb, add a bit of xnathen gum powder. I can't remember the ratio of gum powder to flour but it's not much.

My mum is GF and absolutely races about my Victoria sponge. Requests it at least once a month!!
I use lurpak slightly salted butter in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now