How long ahead of time can I ice a cake which I have frozen.

(6 Posts)
CardigansForWinners Thu 04-Jun-15 07:28:12

Cake is in the freezer at the moment - it's just a regular Victoria sponge (which I've coloured to make a rainbow cake) for dd's birthday.
I'm planning on putting butter icing between layers and coating in butter icing before covering in fondant icing.
I'm doing a painted cake (haven't done before) and I'm wondering if it might be better if I do the butter cream and fondant this afternoon so that it has hardened up a bit for when I paint it tomorrow. Will the cake hold up until Saturday afternoon though (bearing in mind it will be frozen when/if I ice it today?
Dd's party is Saturday afternoon.
Sometimes baking feels like maths! grin

Any ideas?!

FeckityFeck Thu 04-Jun-15 07:32:26

You can't cover a frozen cake with fondant icing. It will get covered in condensation and dissolve the top layer of icing and drip and turn into a terrible mess <speaks from experience>

Get it out now and let it defrost. It should be fine for Saturday if you ice it later today.

MrsHathaway Thu 04-Jun-15 07:37:04

I agree it must be completely defrosted before you ice it. Out of the freezer today, decorate tomorrow.

CardigansForWinners Thu 04-Jun-15 08:05:09

Oh I always ice them frozen, never had a problem before! I just decorated them then left them covered overnight without touching them and they are fine. Guess it might be more of a problem with a painted cake.

So you think, whichever way I do it that if I defrost the cake today and maybe ice tonight, it will still ok on Saturday afternoon?

MrsHathaway Thu 04-Jun-15 09:36:03

Yes absolutely.

CardigansForWinners Thu 04-Jun-15 14:12:03

Thanks! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now